“First time and not the last.”
Review of Bugle Horn

Bugle Horn
Ranked #2 of 2 Restaurants in Hartwell
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Brunch, Lunch, Drinks, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Embracing the rural charm of its tranquil, scenic setting, The Bugle Horn offers a modern twist on traditional country pub dining. As well as offering a beer garden for enjoying summertime dining, the cosy dining room is filled with rustic original features and toasty fires for warming winter dining. Championing favourite British recipes, guests can enjoy evenings devoted to the inn's freshly-baked pies, as well as gourmet roast dinners and seasonal cocktail mixes.
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
“First time and not the last.”
Reviewed January 11, 2014

Had such a lovely meal, my friend and I started with the anti pasti (great value for under three pounds) and the paprika chicken, couldn't really taste the paprika but the bread crumb coating was lovely and the chicken was soft and juicy . Then he had the pork belly and I the burger. I didn't upgrade to the gourmet chips but they were utterly perfect as they were, been a long time since I had chips so good! Our waitress was so lovely, felt like I had made a friend. We made quite a late booking (9:30pm) but they found us a table which was lovely. It was in the middle of two parties, but still felt intimate. Lovely warm fire welcomed us when we entered.
Also they were kind enough to let us stay in the warm post closing while waiting for our lift home, which is what makes a night special.
I guess the only downside was that it was quite expensive for a pub meal, considering we only bought one alcoholic drink.

• Visited January 2014

Aylesbury, United Kingdom
“Very good stop for any reason!”
Reviewed January 8, 2014

Nice big pub, good welcome, winter ales, good value good food, good beer selection, quiz nights, basically a very good pub. It seems to have plenty of customers!

• Visited October 2013
England
“Excellent Value Lunch”
Reviewed January 5, 2014

My friend and I were fortunate enough to miss the main rush and sat by one of the log fires, so we were nice and warm. We had a delicious freshly toasted brie sandwich with chips, but soup was also on offer instead - what great value! As we were eating later we kept our order to a snack. The menu is extensive and vegetarians are well catered for. This is a charming pub and we can see why it was full on a Monday lunchtime.

Essex, England
“Wrap up warm!”
Reviewed January 2, 2014

This is the second time I've eaten here. The first was last March I believe when we were told that the heaters dotted around was because they had heating problems, however went back end of December and found it's still much the same. Being then seated next to a single glazed window and cold radiator it was blinking cold. Food was ok, but nothing special really. I've eaten in another Vintage Inn more local to me and first few times it was really nice but that one seems to have gone down hill more recently so perhaps it's a trend in the chain? Had to wait a while for someone to take our order but other than that the staff were all good. This is a convenient place to meet when visiting family, but think we'll probably try somewhere else next time rather than try for third time lucky with the heating issue!

Broadwindsor, United Kingdom
“Sadly a shambles!”
Reviewed December 26, 2013

Have been to The Bugle Horn many times over the years and have always been quite happy with everything. After all, you only get what you pay for. Today was a Boxing Day lunch with 16 members of family. All booked for obviously well in advance and individual menus ordered beforehand. We had booked for 12 o'clock and eventually our starters arrived at 12.40pm but the waiting staff had confused our table with another in the restaurant, a table of 29! and they couldn't understand why the starters they were bringing out weren't what we'd ordered. Then the starters came out in dribs and drabs so that some people had actually finished their starters before others had even received them. My soup was a lovely flavour but sadly not hot. My husbands pate was very much as described by another reviewer. Huge length of time in between courses. Restaurant at this time not busy. Main courses were fine when they arrived but I have to agree with the other reviewer that the vegetables were either undercooked or in the case of my peas, cooked to resemble the texture of bullets! Two of our family had phoned well in advance to change their choice of main course and were assured there would be no problem but sadly the waiting staff had no record of the change. It was rectified quite quickly and thankfully without fuss. Pudding was also good but we had to ask for spoons. We ordered coffees and teas and again had to ask for spoons. Then we waited for the bill. The restaurant was busy by that time, 2.30 - 3.00pm. I gave up trying to catch someone's eye so I went to the bar and was told, yes they were preparing it and would be over. Another five to ten minutes, still no bill. I approached the bar again, asked politely again and was given the same answer. I replied I'd already been told that ten minutes ago. The bill arrived. We all left.
As a family gathering, we had a lovely time and the time between courses didn't matter too much but the service was so unprofessional. They were all running about like headless chickens. If they were short on staff then for goodness sake employ some more! Or if its lack of training then address it. We usually like to leave a tip of sometime but we honestly didn't think the service warranted it. A great shame.