“One to Avoid”

Dining options: Reservations
Lewiston, New York
“One to Avoid”
Reviewed August 4, 2013

We were in the area for a couple of days and the restaurant was recommended by the hotel. My wife and I both ordered off the list of specials. The salads were the first sign that the meal was going to be poor as the lettuce in both was very wilted. My food was very greasy and definitely in the poor category. As the meal progressed, the service got progressively worse and in addition I suffered some intestinal distress from the meal. Definitely avoid this one, there are better places in the area.

Visited August 2013
3 Thank Larry P

Bangkok, Thailand
“Fresh seafood in casual setting”
Reviewed July 26, 2013

Four of us visited Great Bay for late lunch and were very satisfied with the food. As they specialize in seafood, it is a chance to order foods that you would not normally make at home. The server, also the host (owner) reminded us that everything was just the best that could be served. When asked a question, she would reply ours is the best, none anywhere even comes close. OK, that was a little overdone. The lobster roll was ok, but I have seen and had better. Baked fish, and shell food ordered was delicious and the service was quick and efficient. Pasta and cooked vegetables, a wide selection were all cooked correctly and tasted delicious. Everything ordered seemed freshly cooked although we all know that some items are cooked ahead of time, but whatever they did, it looked smelled and tasted fresh. There is a full line of beverages, alcohol, wine beer and soft drinks. Prices are moderate to slightly on the high side, but the service and quality of the food was worth it. The inside of the restaurant is nothing to look at and the view outside is of a main road that runs in front of the restaurant.

• Visited June 2013
Ballston Spa
“Rave Reviews!!!!”
Reviewed July 21, 2013

My family and I recently threw my mom a huge 75th birthday party that was completely catered by Great Bay, in Ballston Spa, NY. The menu consisted of toss salad with dressing, garlic bread, penne and meatballs, sausage and peppers, and chicken parmesan. The owners, Eileen and Ralph, were kind enough to prepare several separate meals to accommodate specific food allergies of some of the guests. There was not a guest in attendance that did not inquire about who made the food, and where they could go to enjoy another meal. It has been several weeks since the party, and my phone continues to ring with people asking directions to Great Bay, as they thought it was the best food that they had ever eaten! This year they have added a beautiful screened in outdoor deck which provides an awesome summer dining experience.

• Visited June 2013
Ballston Spa, New York
“Real name is "Great Bay Seafood"!”
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Stopped there for "Mothers Day" around 4 P.M. & found the Restaurant very busy! We were immediately seated at a nice open table on a window where we could see all the "action". This Restaurant knows how to prepare for a "Special Day"! There were adequate staff to transition us thru our entire meal of Drinks, Appetizer, & Entree to make us feel there were no rush & everything came out right on time & Fresh Hot! What a concept!! Through the meal we had a pleasant experience of Eileen, the owner stopping at every table & ours TWICE, to ask if we were having a good meal. Next the Chef, Ralph, the other owner, came by visiting every table. Big Boxes -- Learn your lesson here!! Staff your operation well! The food was outstanding from Calamari appetizer to Prime Rib (The best in the area) to my Hot Sausage & Peppers over Penne -- Wait a minute --- Italian food like your grandmother would make in a "Seafood" restaurant? We loved it --- We've put Great Bay this at the top of our list for Sararoga County!!

• Visited May 2013
Ballston Spa, New York
“Delicious Food”
Reviewed March 1, 2013

I wont cook seafood at home because I'm not a huge fan of the smell! What I like about Great Bay is that I have the opportunity to treat myself to these foods I wont (and probably can't) cook at home for myself. I really enjoy the seafood bisque because it's very rich and cream based. I usually get something with the seafood stuffing it it, but lately have been hooked on the crab cakes with remoulade sauce. A lot of places that offer crab cakes are full of bread crumbs but the ones at Great Bay have large chunks of crab meat in them. I am usually too full for the dessert but it looks wonderful! The restaurant is casual which is nice, my boyfriend and I can go there after work. The service is great, I think just about all the girls have waited on me and they are always very attentive. Even though we aren't really regulars there, it's nice that even if it's been a month or so they remember us! I'd definitely encourage someone to try it.

• Visited January 2013