“We're fans”

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed August 30, 2009

We love the food at Augie's and often go with family for birthdays and other celebrations. Sometimes my wife and I go alone on a Wednesday and split an entree and always have leftovers. We love the family style fare and it reminds my wife of her large Italian family from Brooklyn and their Sunday (all day) dinners. Our favorite dish is the red pepper linguine and we always split a tiramisu for dessert.

Reviewed December 9, 2008

We live in Ballston Lake, NY and really enjoy the food at Augies. One entree and a salad will almost always feed four people. That's about $30 for 4 people so I can't see how that's expensive. I would consider the food to be very American-Italian. Lots of sauce, garlic and onions. The meatballs are a little mushy for my taste (too many breadcrumbs) but their flavor is great.

As the restaurant becomes more popular the service gets worse and worse. They just cannot accommodate the demand base. If you are at the door and you're told that it will be a 20 minute wait then you should plan on 35-45 minutes.

We set-up a dinner for 16 there one time and when my wife called to preorder the entrees the night before they told her we must order 1 entree for every two people. This was never mentioned before. They also sat us at seperate tables and didn't have anything ready like they said they were going to. It was a real disappointment.

We've come to realize that this restaurant is good for the two of us to grab a bite to eat on a weeknight. It's not someplace we take people out too unless they're close family because you never know what you'll get. There was a time that I hated the fact that the food was so good because I was disappointed by other problems but now Augies and I have found a way to coexist in tomato sauce covered harmony.

1  Thank UpstateNYReviewer
Reviewed October 29, 2008

We dined at Augie's this year (2008) for my father in laws birthday. I was less than impressed with the food and service. The place itself is a scum hole in the pit of Ballston Spa and VERY small inside. The food is served family style and NOT inexpensive like other reviewers have stated. The food is drenched in garlic and tomato sauce. The service was poor as there were open tables but the hostess would not seat a party of four. Due to a party of 15 coming in that would take up half of the restaurant. Take your hard earned money else ware and spend it on a place that actually has good food & service. I am from the immediate area and will NOT dine here again.

1  Thank Anolan
Reviewed June 17, 2008

I love going to this place. They really do serve family style, pasta is easily enough for four good servings. Everything that I have tried tastes really good. They have specials each weekday from free beer to salad and desert. When you go be ready for lots of extra food.

1  Thank mtimoney