“Great new addition to the area!”

Next Door Kitchen & Bar
Ranked #1 of 93 Restaurants in Ballston Spa
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: Next Door Kitchen & Bar shares a love and appreciation of using foods that are fresh, approachable and unique. We pride ourselves on using foods grown in our own garden located on Science Street in Ballston Spa. The site is soil quality tested, supplemented by organic products and composting materials and maintained by ND executive chef and owners. "It's wonderful to get the experience of growing the produce and items that are served to our patrons" states Chef Strom. Owners Matthew Hall and Chris Fignar are thrilled that produce will supplement or wholly source menu items during the summer months. Additionally, the team attempts to serve items grown from local farms and small production vendors. We seek to create dishes that are inspired by traditional comfort food with contemporary flair. The cuisine is unpretentious yet has depth and complexity. Chef Jeffrey Strom brings with him a unique blend of techniques and creativity that sets his food apart. The service is refined and friendly. Our servers are highly knowledgeable regarding the menu items, purveyors, wine list, craft beer selection and offerings of unique cocktails with boutique distill ingredients. Our wine and cocktail lists were created with small production, family owned and sustainable practices in mind. Our unique wine list is in keeping with our mission and offers a fresh approach to impeccable wines. Distilleries chosen reflect our high standards and are local when possible including those from Greenfield, NY and other small batch single pot distilled distilleries. Our craft draught beer selection is strictly New York sourced. Hall states that "with so many outstanding NY craft beers, it was a great opportunity to stay local and offer great craft beers that showcase NY breweries". ND offers only the highest quality products in a comfortable and eclectic atmosphere. We designed a space that is warm and inviting with copper accents, local oil paintings and custom crafted lighting with hand blow glasswork. The newly renovated dining room was designed using locally reclaimed barn wood and barn door pulled from locations in Brandt Lake and Ballston Spa, NY. The barn door was located on Middleline Road and had once been on a barn owned by Hezekiah Middlebrook ; one of the founders of Ballston Spa. Renovations of the restaurant were supported by local construction, glass blower, artisan painters and copper craftsman. The restaurant is a warm and inviting atmosphere with unique touches that make it a perfect neighborhood space to enjoy great food and company.
Reviewed September 2, 2014

we ended up there on a friday night last recently. no reservations and they were full up but we sat at the bar. we really enjoyed everything a lot.

for starters-

I had the crab cake with kimchi. good size with very little filler and the kimchi was not overpowering

my wife had the duck confit

we also split the arugula salad with goat cheese and blueberries

next up-

I had the pan seared rainbow trout with smoked trout cream and mustard seed relish

my wife did a couple of the small plate options; the poblano pepper with corn and quinoa which she loved and the crab fettuccini made with zucchini ribbons in place of pasta

for desserts-

I had the peach & blueberry crisp

my wife had the goat cheesecake with strawberries and rhubarb

everything was really great. we're hoping to get back there soon. I thought the noise level was ok especially considering we sat at the bar.

these guys could give the best saratoga restaurants a run for their money.

1  Thank dave t

Reviewed August 18, 2014

This restaurant has only been open a short while but they really hit the nail on the head. We went for dinner (for our second time) last night and the second was just as good as the first.

Food options are eclectic and focus on farm to table as much as possible. Great specials. The one thing that really stands out about the entree options is how 'light' they are. When I say that I don't mean light in quantity but perfect size portions that are cooked lightly in a way that doesn't bog you down. We were able to even have a delicious desert afterward.

Presentation is fantastic as is the flavor. Service was excellent as well with multiple associates helping serve our table. Drink selection is really good as well. They offer half portions on most entrees as well which is nice if you want a salad and an entree. Really great value for what it is as well. My wife had the half size portion of gnocchi and she was able to eat the whole thing.

Tasting plate complements of the chef was a really nice touch as well.

What I've had there:

Grilled Arctic Char with Summer vegetables and Salsa Verde (Excellent)
Cajun Shrimp and Grits (Also excellent)

This will definitely become one of our standard restaurants from here on out.

2  Thank babcoccl
Reviewed August 11, 2014

We had dinner at the Next Door - has only been open a short time - service was slow getting us water - when others people who came in after us got it right away - our waiter did come over after a short time - we started with the greens salad and beet salad - the greens were ok - the beets where whole - would not get that again - for dinner we had a special shrimp dish - was not impressed and also a chicken dish - which was good - the menu is not very large - a lot of different items - the cheesecake was very small for what they charged -
It is not a place I will go back to - not the kind of food I like.
A very small place - make a reservation.

1  Thank Lori A
Reviewed August 5, 2014

What a great addition to Ballston Spa! Next Door is fabulous in every way...the atmosphere, the drinks, food, and the staff. Be prepared to eat a one-of-a-kind meal! I have eaten here twice with my husband and daughter (who is 5). She loves the pork meal! I have tried the trout (best meal I've ever had) and steak sandwich (also very, very good). My husband had a shrimp and grits special and blue crab "fettuccine" and loved both meals. Even though they had just opened, the staff was very knowledgeable and the food was prepared quickly. We have tried the beer and wine flights and were very pleasantly surprised with both (the tastes are unique and delicious). The desserts are fabulous! We also highly recommend the fried green tomatoes! It's also nice to know that so much of the food and drink is local. We will be going back soon - I can't wait to try the other menu items!

7  Thank KHParent