“It is just too bad...”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Kim Klopstock is the owner's name
Reviewed May 17, 2014

The service was not as good as the food. The waitress was pleasant but not very efficient. The restaurant did not appear to be extremely busy...certainly not busy enuf to have to wait an hour for our food and 20 minutes to get a glass of wine. Yes, the food was good but that does not make up for t he very poor service.

Reviewed May 5, 2014 via mobile

First and last time to this restaurant .. the food should be healthy. However, the meat and sides were very oversalted from the kitchen. No good bread - overpriced for mediocre food. Servers were fine.

1  Thank travelpro74
Reviewed April 27, 2014

I was surprised that 50 South didn't get better reviews. If you are Gluten-free, this is the place to go. There are many GF choices from soup to dessert and they are delicious! Having been GF for over a year, it is such a relief to have found a restaurant that offers such wonderful GF choices at a reasonable price as well.

3  Thank Barbara P
Reviewed April 4, 2014

Right on Route 50, this is an easy stop between Schenectady and Saratoga. This was the last stop of five for me during Saratoga Restaurant Week. First up was the Blood Orange and Honey Calamari appetizer. While it was okay, it was a disappointment because the description made it sound better than it actually was. With calamari, one needs to do more to make it flavorful. The orange glaze didn't do the wonders I thought it might, and the sweet chili sauce didn't really add anything. One thing that was missing for sure was a touch of salt. This could have done wonders to enhance the orange flavor, but I'm not sure this dish had a flavor combination that works well. It was a good-sized portion, and I can envision some people enjoying this dish, but it really didn't work for me.

The main course was also somewhat disappointing, but I can tell with all of this that the chef tries his best to be creative with his dishes. The pan-seared Hampton Bay Scup was my choice; the flavor was okay; the lemon caper cherry tomato white wine sauce was too complex for my taste. In this case, my advice would be to pick just two flavors additions and go with it. I also didn't care for how the mashed potatoes were lying underneath everything.

The high point of the meal was the dessert, but this alone could not boost the rating above average. I opted for their "famous" apple crumb. If you like sweet and brown-sugary, this hits the spot. Yes, it was very sweet, but it worked very well in just the right-sized portion. Also of note, was that while not great, they had the best coffee of the five restaurants I visited on this trip. The glass of Zinfandel wine was quite good, too.

The waitress had a very pleasant demeanor, and was prompt and attentive...and a little shy. She lacked some knowledge about their wine selection, but all else was fine. The ambience was acceptable for the location. I can understand the attraction this place has...maybe I'll try it again next year.

Reviewed February 13, 2014 via mobile

First, let me say our server was so nice and amazing, and she really tried to make things right. Unfortunately, there was too much wrong. I ordered the maple salmon...the salmon was far from fresh, super fishy. Also to pair maple with wasabi is a poor choice. Sesame encrusted is a better option for wasabi mashed potatoes. I barely ate two bites. My husband ordered a medium filet. It was charred and well done. I don't understand how a restaurant can put so much energy into getting quality natural and local food, and ruin it with the choices of preparation and lack of freshness. This was our valentine celebration...it was terrible. I will not ever return not will I recommend it to anyone. If you're in Saratoga, go to Boca instead.