“Outstanding experience”
Review of Carney's Tavern

Carney's Tavern
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Tavern fare with flair. Matt & Stephanie Finnigan have brought this landmark pub back with a new shine. New kitchen, new menu, new attitude!!
Latham
“Outstanding experience”
Reviewed March 10, 2014 via mobile

We had a party of 9. The food was delicious, the pistachio scallops are to die for, the calamari was superb, everyone was very happy with their meal. The service was excellent and friendly. One of the owners stopped and asked if everyone was satisfied. The atmosphere is cozy and warm. A true dining experience with the home town feel. We wish the young entrepreneurs lots of success. Carney's Tavern is on our list and we will be back soon.

• Visited March 2014
3 Thank pjglf10

New York
“Inconsistent”
Reviewed February 15, 2014

My husband and I took the kids to have a nice post Valentines dinner. I had spent much time at Carneys over the years and more this summer. The summer is what brought me back on the 15th. The food was wonderful and the service quick.
Not so much this evening.
My soda and gin had no gin. Our waitress was slow and had zero personality with my kids or us. We were brought our salads but had to ask for utensils. I ordered the salmon. It was not really as flaky as I like it, a tad undercooked. The asperagus was yummy and the glaze on the salmon tasty.
My husband had the chicken parm and was not impressed with the meal. Nothing stood out as delicious.
My kids had the pasta off the kids menu and loved it.
Overall, the prices are high and the food is average.
It was better in the summer.

• Visited February 2014
3 Thank mammapage
Schenectady, New York
“Worth a Visit”
Reviewed December 27, 2013

Went there for a lunch with my wife on a Friday afternoon. Strangely empty except for the staff. We were greeted warmly and seated by Stephanie. We ordered a few drinks and had burgers for lunch. The food was cooked to order, and was quite delicious. Our waitress stopped by several times to see if everything was ok, or if we needed anything.

The prices are reasonable, and the bar area is warm and inviting. It is worth a visit!

• Visited December 2013
Ballston Lake, New York
“First trip to Carney's”
Reviewed October 11, 2013

Went for dinner Wednesday at 6:00 - had never been there before. There was only one waitress on that evening apparently but the manager was going from table to table speaking to customers and helping out.
The service was very slow. The manager was apologetic as was the waitress but since there were only one or two tables when we arrived it was puzzling. It then started to fill up with customers and after a bit of a wait our salads arrived and quite a while later our food arrived. The meals were absolutely terrific – very well prepared and excellent portions. However, I would suggest more than one wait staff and that they be trained to be efficient in their job. We would definately go back.

• Visited October 2013
2 Thank Jeana O
Clifton Park, NY
“The Good, The Bad and The Very Ugly”
Reviewed October 5, 2013

Went to Carney's last night with very high hopes. We had been regular customers for years before previous owner passed away. We had read about the reopening and wanted to wait a bit for the kinks to iron out. So, off we went on a Friday night. I'm going to give you the "good" parts first. Place is spiffed up a bit and brighter than it use to be. Could use some decor here and there and some dusting of light fixtures but all in all it was improved. We had reservations and were seated at table right in front of kitchen doors. I usually don't like that spot but I didn't want to start off by being a complainer. There were other people seated here and there but it was quiet inside. Almost too quiet. Now, starts the "bad" parts. Our waitress came over and I asked her for the beer/wine list. She then informed us that they were waiting on their liquor license extension and until then, no alcohol. That would have been great information to have prior to our visit. We are not alcoholics but we love a glass of wine and a beer with dinner on a Friday night. It's what we do. I got over that and ordered my soda. While we were looking over the menu, we started to hear screaming coming from the kitchen. Someone was yelling at the kitchen staff very loudly. There were things like "Jesus Christ" and "what the hell" being yelled loud enough for us to hear. One of the waitresses opened the door and I looked in just long enough to see the head chef screaming and physically grabbing a cook by the shoulders!! There was more clanking and yelling and my husband jokingly asked the waitress if Gordon Ramsay was back there. She didn't appreciate his joke because it turns out, the head chef is her brother!!! Oops. We got our soups of the day and have to say, it was yummy. My husband had to go to the men's room so he got up and left me there with my soup. Well, all the sudden the yelling started again this time with more colorful language such as "what the F&^%" and this "F'in risotto has been here for f'in 15 minutes". I had enough and told the waitress this was unacceptable and we were going to be leaving if it continued. We were there to relax and enjoy our dinner, not listen to a lunatic screaming at people. She was embarrassed and she and another staff member went into the kitchen to talk to the chef. Thank GOD it stopped after that. I calmed myself and husband convinced me to stay. So, we had our salads and then I had the special of the night, pumpkin risotto and hubby had a strip steak. We enjoyed everything. The shame of this very long review is that the food was good. The liquor license thing is not the restaurants fault but just good ol' New York State's bureacracy. I want to go back and try this place again and recommend it to friends but my GOD, the chef needs to get a grip. The waitress told me it gets stressful in a kitchen and I get that but he can't have his customers hearing him lose it and swear like that. It's unacceptable. Either get sound proof doors or STOP IT. I heard waitresses apologizing to other tables about long waits for food to get out. That's gonna break this place. Get the act together and good things will happen. The food is good. That's important. People will come for that but not the sideshow in the kitchen. I'm being totally honest about what happened. I made none of this up.

• Visited October 2013