“Old Mill to Red Mill - nice addition to B'Ville”
Review of The Red Mill Inn

The Red Mill Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Baldwinsville
Daphne, Alabama
“Old Mill to Red Mill - nice addition to B'Ville”
Reviewed May 31, 2012

We live in Baldwinsville, so haven't stayed at the Red Mill Inn, but have attended functions there, and have toured some of the lovely and interesting rooms in this charming botique hotel. It is a beautiful restoration of an old mill beautifully situated between the Erie Canal Lock 24 and the Seneca River. They don't offer meals on a regular basis, but it's in the heart of Baldwinsville and within easy walking distance of several eateries and shops (a short walk to Canal Walk for breakfast). A warm reception area includes history of the area, and their toiletries are for sale... I've purchased them as gifts on several occasions.

Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
New York City, New York
Reviewed December 29, 2011

My wife and I stayed here for two nights and my parents stayed for a third while we visited family in the area in August 2011. Choices for lodging are fairly limited in the area, and although it was not necessarily inexpensive, the rate we paid was reasonable and more or less split the difference between a B&B and a chain hotel/motel. We would certainly stay again, as would my parents who visit more frequently.

The Inn is located on a small island in the center of the town of Baldwinsville, directly adjacent to functioning locks on the Erie Canal. By car it’s a few miles off of I-690, about 15 minutes drive north of the center of Syracuse, not far from the state fairgrounds. There is plenty of on-site parking and it’s convenient walking distance to a number of local restaurants in Baldwinsville. There are 32 rooms over three floors with an elevator and free wi-fi throughout.

Our third-floor room was spacious, very clean, and nicely decorated with dark colors to match the dark wood of the building. Because it’s a converted mill, the location of structural beams and height of different parts of the ceiling can seem a bit awkward, but it didn’t pose any inconvenience and were all part of the charm and character of the Inn. The bedding/towels were comfortable and of good quality and the toiletries were locally made. The AC kept the room cool over a hot weekend

All the staff we met were very friendly and helpful. Continental breakfast was provided for free in the banquet room on the ground floor, but it is purely functional. There were lots of heavy supermarket-style white bread products and a make-your-own-waffle station, but no fruit and very limited light options besides yogurt.

The Inn shares the island with an outdoor concert amphitheater, and while there was a metal concert sponsored by a local radio station on our first night there, it didn’t affect us very much. The hotel held parking aside for guests and had a lot of staff on hand to manage traffic flow. The event was shut down promptly by 11pm and we didn’t hear nearly as much noise from the concert or the concert-goers as we would have expected. The biggest impact was the traffic through the town of Baldwinsville as we drove to the Inn earlier that afternoon.

On our last night, there was a very loud wedding party on our floor who woke me up after midnight even while wearing ear plugs. When I walked down the hall to ask them to keep it down there was no response to my knocking and no one within sight of the open door to the suite so I just closed it. The person at the front desk was pleasant and apologetic when I called but considering how they handled the concert the night before I think they could have been more proactive in managing the large party. All in all though, I was able to go back to sleep without further disruption.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank knievel
Eastern Ontario
Reviewed October 14, 2011

If you like restored buildings, old canals and small towns - I like all three - you will love the Red Mill Inn.

Situated on the island between an Erie Canal lock and its accompanying spillway, the former mill is a boutique hotel with a lot of character. I stayed in one of the small rooms on the third floor, It was nicely decorated, spotlessly clean and had a lovely view of the water. The only criticism I have is the lack of chairs ... there is one small chair at the desk and if you have a visitor, as I did, someone has to sit on the bed. I wanted us to be able to look out the window a the great view, so I sat on the luggage rack!

Breakfast was a serve yourself meal with lots of choice, including waffles you make yourself.

The staff was very friendly and helpful. They stored my supper leftovers (from the restaurant across the street) in their refrigerator until about 3 the following day - long after check-out - and gave me ice to keep it cool for my two-hour trip home. VERY thoughtful.

Looking for an excuse to go back to the Red Mill Inn!

Room Tip: If you want to access wifi, ask for a room near the breakfast room, where a router is located.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank Muffet37
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed August 23, 2011

I thought I had found a small gem when I saw this Inn online. Travelling on my own to the Canadian border, I did not wish to stay in a large hotel in a busy. The Red Mill Inn seemed ideal with it's lovely setting by the locks in a quaint little town just off the thruway. I booked a room two days prior to arrival and made a reservation for the following weekend when I planned to return with my husband.

I was dismayed to find upon arrival that there was some type of "concert" happening immediately behind the hotel and that my room was facing the actual venue but no one at the hotel had forewarned me of this fact. Although I am a sound sleeper I was awakened with a start several times through the night by guests who were "concern goers" shouting in front of my door (located next to the main elevator). An elevator that, by morning, reaked of smoke so heavily I held my breath going down to the lobby.

The Red Mill Inn's continental breakfast consisted of bagels and a waffle maker, tea, coffee & orange juice. Unimpressive is an understatement!

The place does have some charm - my room was clean and the bathroom newly remodelled. and their only redeeming quality staff-wise was woman who checked me at arrival. She was darling and gave me numerous tips on places to visit and where I could eat.

I was so dismayed with the whole experience that I promptly cancelled my reservation for the following weekend.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
5 Thank intlroxy
Texas
Reviewed March 15, 2011

We stayed here for my son's wedding. We stayed 7 days and all our family stayed here too. The beds were very comfortable and the rooms were roomy and the bathroom was a good size. There are no overhead lights and they use"stain glass" lamps for atmosphere but the room was a little dark for me. I took the shade off one lamp and it helped. They have their own shampoo and soap and it is special. Everyone was friendly and gave great directions. The staff did a great job on making there reception room beautiful. Learn the history of the Red MIll and enjoy the view of the Seneca river. We will stay here again.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed February 3, 2011

More than 30 members of my family (all ages) were in the area to attend a memorial service for my mother being held in Liverpool, the village next to Baldwinsville. We were so happy we chose to stay at the Red Mill Inn. The rooms are clean and beautifully furnished, the staff is friendly and helpful, and the setting is picturesque. It could not have been a nicer place to gather. We will remember this weekend for a long time to come because of the comfortable and unique setting in which we were able to celebrate my mother's life. The Inn is indeed a special place.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
chandler az
Reviewed October 14, 2010

We had never stayed here or had any friends offer advice. The setting of the Inn is unique. On one side is the Seneca river (with falls) and on the other the Erie Canal Lock # 24 all with a park like setting.
Our room was large, bright and airy with high grade furnishings and linens. The continental breakfast was freah and generous.
We will return whenever we are in the area and do more exploring around the charming small city of Baldwinsville.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Baldwinsville
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Baldwinsville/Syracuse
Comfort Inn Fairgrounds
Comfort Inn Fairgrounds
#22 of 32 in Syracuse
Best Western Plus Oswego Hotel And Conference Center

Been to The Red Mill Inn? Share your experiences!