“Outstanding Food and Presentation”

The Suds Factory River Grill
Ranked #24 of 55 Restaurants in Baldwinsville
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed May 20, 2013

Until now, the only restaurant in Baldwinsville that was worthy of 5-stars was the Mohegan Manor, but now they have competition.

The setting, overlooking the Seneca River, includes the Suds Factory bistro on the lower level and the fine-dining restaurant on the upper. Both offer dining on the decks.

We dined with a local group upon recommendation from a Baldwinsville native, and were not disappointed. The first surprise came with the food presentation, arranged Japanese-style and served promptly and efficiently by Lauren. During the dinner, we were visited by the owner, and learned that the restaurant, located across from the now-famous Red Mill Inn, just opened in January.

This venue is as good as any restaurant in the Syracuse area. The prices are reasonable, and the food is outstanding.

(One downside: Visiting the "Suds Factory" bar on the lower level, I noted that the acoustics are extremely "hard" and, with a crowd, I would expect the noise level to be unacceptable to most)

2  Thank Noisefree
There are newer reviews for The Suds Factory River Grill

Reviewed April 27, 2013 via mobile

Great view of the river! Very nice inside. Starts off with great beers and excellent wine with great bread! My crab cakes were spicey but very good. The mixed spring salad had good dressing but the purple mix in it was way too bitter, everyone in my party of 6 said the same thing. Ribeye was good, ravioli was good, shrimp was good. Great place in bville to eat!

Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

The Suds Factory River View has an all around appeal. The menu for lunch makes it easy to choose, but anything can be custom made to preference. Lunch was delicious: homemade pizza, crabmeat sandwich, sliders, and salad topped with chicken and homemade dressing. The riverview from deluxe leather booths enhanced the experience, along with the owner's fine taste in design. Waiter was friendly with good humor. Will be back to visit next time.

Reviewed March 23, 2013

Went to this restaurant/pub from the owner of the Syracuse Suds Factory for a late evening dinner on a Friday night. Parking is a little difficult due to the fact that they cannot use the large empty parking lot right by the place, because of some dispute with a local businessman who owns the lot. We were able to find parking on the street, though, and walked inside the restaurant. First impressions were good - lots of wood, including wood floors. A great bar with several large screen TVs on the wall behind it with the sound down.

The hostess asked if we wanted "pub food or fine dining" and we opted for fine dining. (We discussed afterwards that "fine dining" was overstating it a bit - "pub or restaurant" would have been a more accurate question) The place was full, but appeared to have plenty of folks working there to keep everyone happy.

Our server greeted us within a minute of sitting down, bringing us water and taking a drinks order, dropping off the menus. They have a full bar, but do not have any sort of cocktail menu (something that would be a nice improvement, in my opinion). Decent beer selection from many companies.

We ordered the aged beef sliders and pork belly as an appetizer. The two sliders were quite tasty. The pork belly was very large - enough for 4 people I would say - the server said that each appetizer would be enough for 2 people - I would say that the sliders would be too small for 2, and the pork belly too much, based on our tastes. But both were very tasty.

My companion decided that the pork belly was going to be enough for her dinner, and asked the server to cancel her entre order. He conferred with the kitchen and said that they had already started it, but that it would be no problem, which we really appreciated.

I order the brined chicken as my entre and was very impressed - the chicken was full of flavour, and came with fingerling potatoes done perfectly, julienned seasonal vegetables and a prosecco chicken sauce which was delicious. Probably one of the better chicken dishes I have eaten in a long while.

We shared a dessert - the "Davy Jones Sea Cake" which was their take on a tres leches dessert. It was very, very good - full of that classic tres leches flavour, and the portion size was very appropriate.

The total bill was $55 which we thought was ok for what we had.

Being a Friday night, the place was busy, but they have done the acoustics well enough that we were able to have a conversation without raising our voices. It was obvious to us that they were over-staffed - lots of people hanging around with nothing to do. But the place has only been open for a few months, so they are still getting those kinks out - the good thing is that they have erred on the side of the customer getting better service, which is, in my opinion, the right way to go.

My only minor complaint would be that the wooden floors is in the place, while beautiful, do tend to amplify the sound of folks walking in heavy shoes, and some of their staff were wearing very heavy footwear, making a clomping sound as they were walking around - I found that a bit disturbing and avoidable because to me it broke into the ambience of the place. We did not go down into the pub downstairs, but I wonder how much of that sound gets carried down there?

As I said before, it's a new place, and should be great when the summer comes - the deck overlooks the river and should provide a nice place to sit out and enjoy a drink and a snack. The owner obviously cares a lot about the place and has put a lot of his heart into making it look and feel right - it took him 8 years between buying the place and opening it, and the work shows. The staff are very attentive without being overly fussy.

Fine dining it isn't, but good dining it is. We will go back there.

Reviewed March 2, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I went to this resturant with friends tonight. My app sucked it was the worst tomato motzerrola salad I have ever had the motzerrola was hard as rocks. My wife's crab cakes were great! My steak was very good as was my wife's ravioli. Good choice just avoid the tomato motzerrola salad!!

2  Thank AMPED37