“First Class All The Way”
Review of Abu Camp

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Okavango Delta
Abu Camp
Reviewed December 21, 2013

I chose this as one of my destinations because of the elephants. A must for elephant lovers. But I had amazing experience with a leopard, hippo and others. Guide B.T. was enthusiastic and knowledgeable. The food was excellent. The service outstanding. They have Internet in the library area. It is green.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank happyflyer45

Reviewed September 19, 2013

Abu Camp on the Okavango Delta in Botswana is surely at the top end for luxury African safari camps. The accommodations are outstanding, and the camp staff is completely dedicated to the comfort of the guests. The meals are outstanding and unique, and best of all, the camp chef is willing to share his recipe’s with the guests.

There is an incredible amount of game to be viewed. We saw leopards, hyenas, baboons, giraffes, kudu’s, zebra, impalas and wild elephants. We were even able, at a distance, to get a glance at hippos. Our guide, BT, was very skillful at finding game and was very capable at describing all the fauna.

Finally, the great attraction of the camp is the Abu elephant herd. The elephant handlers are all very knowledgeable about the herd in particular and elephants in general. Guests are encouraged to ride the elephants or to walk with them as they leave to graze in the morning or when they return to the Boma in the evening.

A visit to Africa is not complete without a visit to the Okavango, and when visiting there, Abu Camp is the best place to stay.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Gordon D
Reviewed August 9, 2013

It was all-good, though perhaps a bit chilly in mid July... I would go in April or May. Those tents are frosty in the morning and late evening. But the staff gave me 4 hot water bottles for my bed. This should give you an idea of how accomodating and gracious they were. Wonderful from the Owner, manager, chef, etc... on down to the housekeeping and maintenance staff. Our guide was terrific when we left camp. We adored him. And the elephant handlers and trainers were truly awesome... so down-to-earth, patient, and willing to educate. Really, time spent with a handler was spent listening, as he talked on and on and on. A pleasure. In my opinion there wasn't the time spent with the elephants that I expected, though I was pretty-much satified. On the site it says you will be involved with their feeding, daily care, and veterinary stuff (I think). Well, this is far from the truth. You do have a couple of opportunities to feed them some pellet treats (not their real food). And if you sleep in the Star Bed by their Boma, you can help hose down an elephant at the crack of dawn the next day. My older children (20's) enjoyed the whole experience, as did I who got to spend time with the Matriarch of the herd, Cathy. Our safaris were good, though game drives are not as good in the Delta as they are in other parts of Botswana. Our guide made up for it, because he was absolutely primo. We saw a full hyena den one afternoon which was a highlight. The Abu Camp itself is lovely. Unfortunately when I was there, the common areas were entirely deserted most of the time. Not sure if this was because it was cool, or because there was no bar in there. There was a great seating area for a fire directly beside, but unused. The Chef was super accomodating to my high-maintenance family (mainly me) and very friendly... and the food was very good. I can't say enough about the staff and how amazing they all were. We had a fabulous time at Abu... family of 5.

Room Tip: Ask for a tent closer to the main Camp.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 10, 2013

We arrived via helicopter which was an amazing experience alone - just to see the Delta, hippos and elephants, etc. This is not the camp for wildlife spotting - it is all about the elephants and the mahouts.

We were so surprised to be the only guests on the property for our entire stay. At first I thought it was going to be awkward with all of the staff waiting on us - but it was outstanding!

The tent was luxurious with a huge bathroom, plunge pool, outdoor tub and gorgeous furnishings. We had monkeys on the roof and a hippo grazing next to our tent on the first day. The meals were all excellent. The atmosphere was spectacular. Everything is top-notch.

Just to give you a small taste - the sundowners were beyond anything we could have imagined. For our first sundowner, we arrived to the spot on elephant back to find the manager and staff had set up a full bar, layered Oriental rugs, lanterns, upholstered sofas and chairs and a movie screen. After watching the sun go down and enjoying a drinks/snacks, they showed a movie (30 min) about the Paseka the elephant. It was a great introduction to Abu Camp.

Riding and walking with the elephants was educational and thrilling. We also did a game drive or two and fishing. I couldn't imagine a more perfect experience. I highly recommend this camp for someone who has already gotten their fill of African wildlife and wants a luxurious Botswana camp experience.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 7, 2013

If you're looking for a destination so as you can learn and spend time with elephants, then Abu Camp is a must. It's intimate - maybe 8-10 people at any time - has excellent accomodations, service and food, and the experiences you'll have with elephants are magical. Abu Camp has its own herd and offers the opportunity to ride the elephants, walk with them as they graze and boat alongside them as they walk through the delta. The guides and elephants handlers are wonderful people who insure your experience is exactly they way you want it to be.

If you love elephants and plan on going to Africa, Abu Camp is an absolute must!!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Abu is a very special camp. You will be hard pressed to find a tented camp that is as impressive as Abu. All 6 tented suites have wonderful views over the lake in front of them. If you do not wish to go out on a game drive, ride or walk with the Elephants or one of the other activities you can just chill in the magnificent camp area or your suite.
Wilderness Safaris who manage the camp, have done a wonderful job in turning the camp into an Elephant ' research' centre with the 'tame' herd at the centre of the study. As a visitor to other Wilderness Safaris camps, the strong conservation ethos permeates the way the camp and particularly the Elephant herd are treated, while the superb food and service offering remains.

Room Tip: All suites are awesome.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 11, 2013

Abu exceeds all of my expectations on many levels. The place itself is aesthetically lovely - elegant centerpieces mingled with the warmth of Africa. The open spaces and overall design are breathtaking and each detail - from the extensive collection of photography books, accessories, to the lighting and urban planning - has been clearly thought out. I often found myself not wanting to leave my room - should I lounge on the deck as hippos snort below (at a safe distance), shall I lavish in a bath (that is elegantly and discretely perched on the side balcony), or melt into my gorgeous bed?

The ambience suits those on a romantic holiday as well as individuals who need a bit of "me" time.

I had a bit of me time and left the camp feeling ten years younger. And twenty years lighter in spirit. A significant reason for feeling young and hopeful was due to the people working there as well as the underlying mission of the camp. Each person greets the guests with a warm and sincere smile, each person goes out of their way to make you feel welcome and strives to attend to your every day (or even anticipate your every need). I already miss Gee's smile.

In terms of the mission, the camp respects a 4-tired mission statement (Conservation, Community, Culture and Commerce). Conscious and respectful of the environment, one never sees plastic or waste and guests are gifted a steel canister to use for water. The toiletries are sourced from a lovely African firm (africology) and in addition to being decadently amazing, they are environmentally conscious.

Ahh, the meals. The chef and his crew are extraordinary - a bold fusion of flavors burst from the meals. Who knew that a breakfast could be so incredible? The delightful flavors were enhanced by the freshness and quality of the products as well as the ambiance. Candle-lit dinner at a table nestled on the Delta? A meal in the middle of the bush - surrounded by candles as one sinks into plush chairs with a glass of champagne in hand?

The guides are some of the finest with whom I have had the pleasure of traveling. Well-read, charming and knowledgeable they were aware of their environment every second. I will always recall KG chasing away a feisty bull elephant away from the path of my room.

Now. The. Elephants. The gentleman leading the elephant project, Brett, is lovely, amusing and a source of tremendous information on anything Africa related. He and his team lovingly take care of and teach their elephants. I caressed, fed and rode elephants who were not afraid and who were not forced. One hugged me with his trunk and well, it is quite easy to determine whether an animal is cared for and protected. This team gives hope that the conservation of elephants as well as other wildlife is possible. Thank you for allowing me to enter into a world I could never have imagined.

Ips, Claire, Nathan and all your team have created a piece of heaven. I admit to crying a bit when flying away.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo