“Xigera a special place.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Okavango Delta
Wilderness Safaris Xigera Camp
Reviewed June 12, 2012

Xigera is a magical place. It is set in one of the most beautiful areas in the Okavango Delta and a true water camp. No wonder it is referred to as paradise. You feel as though you are lost in paradise from the moment you get in the boat to the camp.
Everything about this camp is truely great. The atmosphere, the staff, the food ,the accommodation, the water activities, absolutely everything.
Visiting in June was a dream come true, as we always wanted to be in the Delta when the inundation is at it's highest. We enjoyed the boating to Chief's Island with a picnic lunch, as well as the Mekoro trips through the channels. On one occasion we got to spend time on an island to watch 2 Pal's Fishing Owls. So humbling to see this rare bird. Birding here is good even though this is not the time when the migrant birds are here or the birds are nesting yet.
I have to mention the exceptional food, cleanliness of our tent and the friendliness of the staff as the highlights of our 3 night stay. Do not stay shorter, as there are too many things to do. Just relax in this little paradise, sit at the fire at dusk, or on your veranda with coffee in the morning, have a drink at the pool, or read a book in the library and watch the stars at the stardeck at night!
As a bonus the guests in tent 1, saw a leopard right in front of their tent.

Room Tip: All rooms have views of the foodplains to the west. Rooms 1 to 4 are close to the communal area. The...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank ritaSouthAfrica

Reviewed May 9, 2012

This is a magical place. The food was good the tents were so good and a very good services!!! We arrived very late at the camp so we missed the last safari and they provided are terras with some candles and some little food and a bottle of champagne to compare this! Our thanks to the managers they were so great a very nice couple !!!! Also the guide we had was very good. He did everthing to make it very good for us. The area were the camp is situated is so beautifull. Ask for tent 7 you have a direct view over the lagoon.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Cederic123
Reviewed April 23, 2012

This is a magical place. From the moment you turn up in the boat to a typically friendly, and noisy, Bostwana welcome you feel as if you belong. Everyone is friendly and helpful, and the atmosphere is that of a family party. Despite the fact that you are way out in the wilderness the rooms are extremely comfortable with glorious big beds, and there is always hot water at the turn of a tap. The guides are all extremely knowledgeable and are amazing at finding animals and identifying birds. An evening by the campfire in the Boma was a great experience, and we shall remember this place for ever. Even being wakened at 6am for breakfast at 6.30 so you could be out on an activity (bush drive, mokora or boat trip) at 7am was worth it. Equally evening trips, including a sundowner (gin and tonic being the favourite) were magical experiences.

Room Tip: All excellent
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Roseananne
Reviewed April 13, 2012

My Cessna 208 landed at the airstrip for Xigera Camp and we were met by a Land Rover and smiling guide. He drove us a short way and transferred us to a motorized launch and we we whisked to Xigera Camp. As with all the Wilderness Safaris camps we were met by the camps staff at the threshold to the camp. Instead of the regular smiles and waves three of the staff members were standing on the dock singing a welcome song for us. What a lovely way to start the next three days.

After the obligatory camp rules talk we were shown to our rooms to freshen up before our afternoon outing. The room was what I was learning to expect from a Wilderness Safaris room. nicely appointed. Clean. Large. Comfortable bed. Toilet and bath facilities rivaling any 4 star hotel. A nice indoor shower and a nice outdoor shower. Private toilet. Double sinks (as I recall) Somehow the luggage fairy had deposited my two bags in the room for me. A nice veranda with two chairs and table overlooking the surrounding jungle.

The afternoon activity chosen for me was a ride in a Mokoro. A mokoro is traditionally a canoe carved out of a single tree that is propelled by standing in the rear of the boat and poling through the marshes. The mokoros at Xigera broke with tradition and used eco-friendly fiberglass. My coxwain, Oracle, handled the boat very well. i never felt any concern for my safety or stability while in the boat. He pointed out frogs and birds and other animals as he poled. We stopped for a 'Sundowner' and took a short walk into the woods to catch a glimpse of the elusive Pells Fishing owl.

Other activites offered ar game drives on the nearby island and motor boat excursions. since Xigera is primarily a water based camp the boat excursions were (for me) much more interesting than the game drives. On one of the boat outings we saw a situnga antelope, which according to my boatmates was a rare sighting.

The food was plentiful, tasty and nutritious. Two mains and a vegetarian offering after a soup or appetizer course and of course dessert. Two wines were also offered, one red and one white along with after dinner drinks or coffee. The only complaints I heard about the food came from my ever expanding waistline.

The staff, headed by Tsidi couldn't have treated me any better. I felt as if I was visiting family instead of being a client. Mavis stands out in my memory as well. The entire staff is without equal, but with as high a staff to client ratio as Xigera has there are just too many names to remember.

My guide, Teko, was among the best I experienced on this trip. As with most of the guides he saw game minutes before I would have ever seen it. He asked what I was hoping to see and worked very hard to find it for me. He even found one of my wishes (Meyers parrot) on the way to the plane when I was departing. He did fail on the otter, but everyone fails on the otter.

Location, staff, setting, food, guides and wildlife I don't see how you can do any better than Xigera Camp.

Room Tip: My room # 10 did not have a view of the lagoon. The view was limited to jungle only. Not sure about...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
6  Thank DorothyMacaw
Reviewed April 7, 2012

You never know what you are stepping into when you plan a trip from afar. From the moment four of us arrived at Xigera camp (after a week of intensive meetings in Zambia), the stress melted away. Our faces lit up with smiles and our conversations were full of laughter. It was the Xigera effect. The camp welcomes you, takes tender care of you, shows you the the Delta's beauty and secrets from the subtle to the large (elephants!) and opens the doore to a deeper understanding of this beautiful waterland. We started four days in the Delta w/ two days here and almost switched our last two days to stay. Thanks, Team Xigera with a special wave to our guide, Luke. This is a once in a lifetime place.

Room Tip: I loved Room 7 - what a view!!!
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank choconancy
Reviewed April 6, 2012

If you are looking to experience the heart of the Okavango delta, look no further than Xigera.This idyllic camp is located on an island with gorgeous views all around. The staff, lead by Cath the GM, are friendly, courteous and first-rate. The guides are knowledgeable and are genuinely interested in providing you with a memorable experience. The tented rooms are very comfortable, with all amenities--I especially liked the outdoor shower! (Tent #7 probably has one of the best water views, but #9 and #10 less so). The food was excellent and the chef even catered to my vegan diet, providing alternatives to the main fare, even at tea-time and for evening snacks! Note that this is a water-based camp so if you are looking for large land-based animals (other than hippos) on your doorstep, you may not see them especially when the delta waters are high. The birding is wonderful and this would be the highlight of any trip. We spent all our time on the water, either on the motor boat or the wonderful relaxing mokoro (canoe) rides. A gorgeous setting to simply relax, unwind, and go with the flow. Note, it can get cold at night and for the early morning rides so be sure to take some warm fleece with you.

Room Tip: Tent #7 probably has one of the best water views, but #9 less so and I think #10 has none.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank sdc
Reviewed March 31, 2012

Beautiful location, beautiful people, stunning accommodation and a magnificent energy. I hope to be lucky enough to return one day.
For anyone concerned about the 'water based' nature of this camp, don't be. It offers a very different view of the Botswana landscape and you get to experience and see so much more. The food was simply exceptional and the staff sincere in every respect. The highlight of our trip.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple