“Wonderful camp!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Okavango Delta
andBeyond Sandibe Okavango Safari Lodge
Atlanta, Georgia
“Wonderful camp!”
Reviewed January 8, 2013

Our group of 15 stayed here as our first stop in the Okavanga Delta. Wonderful welcome and very nice camp. The cabins were very clean and luxurious, the food excellent and the service first rate. Our wildlife viewing was beyond our expectations. Being in a large preserve allowed us to explore at will, following the sound of a roaring male lion to find him guarding a fresh kill. Fantastic! Also viewed a leopard with cubs both during the day and night, wow.

A special treat was a dinner away from camp, cooked over open flame with full service in the middle of a fire light field. The staff sang as we ate.

Lots of great photographic opportunities, friendly staff and a remote but luxurious setting. We also visited Selinda Camp (just as good) and Muchnege (near Chobe, not quite as nice).

Hard not to have a good time.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Mooloolaba, Australia
Reviewed January 6, 2013

We transferred to Sandibe from at Beyonds Nxabega Lodge so our approach highlighted just how beautiful the entire terrain is and how lightly Sandibe marks the landscape. It was barely visible from the air and only when we were incredibly close were we able to make out some of the buildings hidden in the Wooded glade where it stands. I think this is a perfect example of the care that at Beyond has taken in setting up its lodges and it is much appreciated. The Lodge itself was quite beautiful with the architecture blending perfectly into the surrounds as if a part of it. I was amazed that despite this care and attention to eco friendliness what an incredible level of service was provided. Despite everything having to be flown in there was an absolute abundance of food, beverages and all manner of snacks. On every game drive seemingly in the middle of no where the drivers and trackers, ours being Shaka and Steve, would lay out an incredible spread of either morning tea or in the evenings a full bar and accompanied snacks. It was unexpected and done with such care and attention to detail. Very striking against the incredibly beautiful landscapes in which it was set. I could wax lyrical so will not bore you. The Okavanga Delta is quite magical with its teeming wildlife, Sandibe Lodge as a place to stay is a perfect match to its environment and at Beyond deserves much accolade at the manner in which they are able to bring visitors in to enjoy it without disturbing or altering the Delta. Whilst in the office to print my online check in for a later flight I over heard one of the staff on the phone booking a plane to come in to collect the rubbish. I was very impressed with both the place and the company. Well done.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank lindigab
Brisbane
Reviewed December 25, 2012

We stayed at this wonderful lodge as part of a photographic safari. We loved our stay here, from the moment we first saw the safari vehicles waiting at the airstrip to pick us up, to the time we waved goodbye. On first arrival into the lodge we were greeted with a song from all the staff, ice cold face cloths and a delicious welcome drink. After every game drive someone was waiting for us with the face cloths and questions about how the drive went. The rooms are spacious and well maintained and the food superb. I wasn't expecting such gourmet food in Africa but this was truly delicious. We found the staff to be very friendly and attentive, catering to all the requirements of the group. As for the wildlife - the main reason for going - well, let me just say we saw 7 different leopards at very close range in 4 days, as well as a cheetah, many different lions as well as cubs, elephants, giraffe, wildebeest, zebra...almost all of the game you dream of seeing in Africa. The guides and trackers did an excellent job and seemed to have the answer to every question. Add to that some unexpected surprises - like the day the staff set up lunch under a large tree in the middle of the park, to the singing and dancing concerts after dinner - and all I can say is that if you are thinking of staying here, just book it now! You won't be disappointed!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jemmwm
Pasadena, California
Reviewed October 21, 2012

I had a great experience at Sandibe. Due to certain circumstances, I ended up being the only person in my vehicle on 4 of my 6 game drives (I was traveling solo). Still, I was treated like we had a full house in our vehicle. My guide and tracker, Shaka & Bring, were very good and quite knowledgeable. I never felt like I was getting less than the usual level of service due to me being the only passenger. I actually felt like I was getting customized service.

I visited 4 camps and I had some of the best game viewing here. There was a cold snap the first few days, so it was very cold early morning and late afternoon. (Tip: if youre going in the winter, bring a warm scarf or two!) However, that didn’t deter us from some great game sightings. I got to see (usually fairly up close)… lions, lion cubs, cheetahs, leopards, lots of elephant, giraffe, ostrich, hyena, hyena pups, warthogs, impala (and related species). One afternoon, we had a leopard walk right by our vehicle. I could have reached out and pet it had I not wanted to keep my right arm. The overall game viewing was great and quite diverse. I had an awesome time here.

The camp was very well kept up. My only complaint was the lack of hot water. Maybe I didn’t keep it on long enough. At a later camp I found I had to leave the faucet on for a LONG time (4-5 minutes) before the hot water showed up. The staff took great care of me (and everyone) there. They went out of their way to make sure I was entertained since I was traveling solo. The rooms were average to above average. Now, this is in relation to other camps I visited while in Botswana. “Average” is pretty nice and comfortable for being out in the middle of nowhere. I found the food to be pretty decent as well. If you’d like to see a short video tour of my room, copy and paste the following: [--]

Overall, I was very happy with my experience there and would definitely recommend Sandibe to others. If you are interested, more pictures and short videos of my trip (from 4 different camps) are available at: [--]

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Taxguyla
Chicago
Reviewed September 30, 2012

We enjoyed our stay at Sandibe very much. The staff was very attentive and helpful. Our room was rustic but protected from the elements, and there was wildlife wandering between the cabins to add a sense of realism to our stay in the bush. The staff escorted us everywhere but we felt safe at all times.

Onka and two others greet us with cool washcloths and ginger lemonades at the head of the little trail leading into camp. High tea is bream fish with salads. A group of three who are finishing their own lunch warn us not to leave small items or bread on the kabob skewers as monkeys will snatch them away. Our cabin is a traditional African round hut with a very tall thatched roof. It has no glass in the windows but there are screens, mosquito netting over the bed, an indoor toilet and an outdoor shower. There were electric lights and outlets for us to charge our camera batteries, etc. The water for the shower, etc. comes from the river but is plentiful and hot when we needed it.

Gee, our guide, and James, our spotter, knew the concession, the game, and the birds very very well. They don't quite have names for each leopard, but they can distinguish them. They were patient beyond words with some guests who insisted on special arrangements for transport to the airstrip, etc. They all seemed to have fun. We saw wildlife from the moment we arrived - as we pulled away from the airstrip Gee stopped to show off a beautiful lilac breasted warbler. We passed southern giraffes, Cape buffalo, plains zebra, greater kudu, and crocodile on the way to camp.

Like our experience at Notten's Bush Camp in South Africa, the guests are very easy going and we all quickly become friends and share stories of our experiences and sitings on the drives. We took one ride on the river, but it was relatively late so we didn't have a lot of time to linger along the way - some of our companions took longer to finish pastries than probably appropriate but the scenery was beautiful.

Here is a link to a couple of our favorite dozen photographs from our trip to Botswana, Victoria Falls, and South Africa: http://richhowephotography.com/p30672781

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rich H
wonersh, surrey
Reviewed August 30, 2012

Sandibe is an unfenced beautiful lodge on the edge of a channel in the Delta. We loved elephants roaming through dinner as the lodge is unfenced and having to be escorted to our rooms! Our guides, Hammer and Gee were fantastic and enabled us to track and see hyena, elephant, lion, leopard, cheetah, serval, jennet, wildebeest, hippo, eland, impala, waterbuck, etc all really close up. Stunning landscape and the staff all so kind to us and the children. We loved having morning tea and sundowners out on the drives and had the truck all to ourselves with just our guides. We were surprised with a special lunch on the banks of a hippo pool in the middle of nowhere one day, a real "out of africa" experience. The food was delicious. Also loved the boat trip to an island, and spotting hippo and crocodile on the way. Little touches meant alot eg hot water bottles on the early morning drives and being woken gently by quietly rhythmic drumming and catering for my fussy eater 11 year old. Memorable last drive when we saw lion chasing baboons up a tree and then getting the truck stuck in a swamp while two male lions roared at us from 100m away! Thoroughly recommend Sandibe. A very special place and we felt privileged to see this part of Botswana where the wildlife is to prolific. We will never forget our first family safari. PS loved being woken in the middle of the night by an elephant shaking nuts down from a palm tree outside our room!

Room Tip: Rooms 1 and 2 were lovely.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank rustsarah
Ontario
Reviewed August 25, 2012

This place was pretty cool. If you want a neat story to tell when you get home this place is the place to go.
We started in Chobe, Sandibe was our second stop, Xudum was our last.
Neat stuff - monkeys, birds and squirrels will raid your food - so guard it or you'll lose your lunch and Elephants and hippos might visit your house (they will drive you around to your hut if this happens as you really don't want to actually meet the animals, but it's still really neat).
Typical day: You are up at 6am and on the road. You'll come back for lunch and then go out again. You'll come back after sundown(this is not a national park so they can be on the road after dark). You'll eat dinner and you'll do it again.
I think this was the park that gave us hot water bottles in the truck for the drive. Very well thought out! You might want to bring a hat, scarf, sweater - layers are your friend. Its pretty cold in the morning and evening and you are just sitting in the car so you're not doing much to keep yourself warm.
Laundry - leave it in a bag with a note and they will do it.
Accommodations: your own little hut, technically an outdoor shower - although the wall is about 8 feet so you're completely private, toilet room, big open hut with big bed, small desk, porche and lookout over the marsh. Our hut here was quite nice, though I must say that as much as out door showers look "cool" they are in fact freezing cold if you go in the botswana winter.
In Chobe it was tents and we had mid afternoon showers - I highly recommend that! In the morning its dark and cold and the same in the evening, so shower when the sun is up. Granted I found that we didn't really spend much time in any of the accommodations at any of our places, i think they had internet but it was a bit spotty.
The generators go off at night so charge your batteries during the day if possible and bring spare cards, batteries or maybe a computer to dump your pictures.
Animals: known for the wild dogs but we didn't see any, apparently a herd of buffalo came through and the wild dogs left to follow, we did see 3 leopards and we followed one for quite a distance on the road, the others were eating so we just watched them. Sandibe is one of only 2 camps in the area so there are not a lot of trucks. That said the quantity of animals is significantly fewer than in chobe, but if you find a leopard you will have it mostly to yourself for as long as you want. The guide said there are about 10 resident leopards. The night drives are interesting but we didn't see a lot, we did see some hyena's one day and then we saw them the next morning coming back with their spoils, but mostly it was rabbits, impalas and birds.
Food: The lodge itself is really just an open air eating area. This was by far the best food we had the entire trip. &beyond tends to feed you till you can eat no more and this place was really good.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple