Just saying Baines Camp is different does not do justice to this incredible place. After a long flight from Capetown followed by a flight in a 6-seater piloted by a 24 year old guy [I checked] and then a 45 minute drive on "roads" with water over the hood of our vehicle at times, we arrived at Baines and were greeted by Lara and her singing staff, hot towels, and cold drinks. What a place! Only five rooms and more staff members than the maximum number of guests . Intimate gourmet meals, drinks around the fire pit, bathtubs and champagne on our deck. And that's just the beginning. Martin, our very wise wiseguy guide, drove us on game drives on unbelievably twisting, bone jarring roads with underwater stretches so deep he yelled "feet up" prior to the water gushing over the hood and into our truck. One evening he took us on a boat ride up the Bora river and just as we got to the furthest point a thunderstorm rolled in and we had to cover our bodies with wool blankets to protect ourselves from the stinging rain. On the last morning we rode in dugouts through channels no wider than our boats cut by hippos, which we came face to face with, of course. Whew! For a less heart pounding time, I experienced Doug and his three elephants. Very educational and fun, as well. Q: How much does an elephant's trunk weigh? A: When it is resting on your shoulder, A LOT! All this and more made for an incredible experience. It's not just about spotting game.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sanctuary Baines’ Camp is our smallest and most intimate camp, built on raised platforms high above the Boro River in a huge private concession bordering the Moremi Game Reserve. An eco-friendly property built using only commercially grown wood, with over 150,000 recycled aluminium cans incorporated within the walls to provide insulation. The camp is raised above the permanent water of the Boro River while wooden walkways connect the main areas and luxury rooms. The swimming pool and the wide wooden deck that surrounds the main dining and sitting room is the ideal place to relax while observing the varied wildlife present here. See prowling lions looking for prey at the edge of the lagoon that the camp overlooks, or watch one of the many elephants who live in the area. The five suites at Sanctuary Baines’ are opulent and luxurious, with ensuite facilities and four-poster beds. Traditional safari ceiling fans create a cooling breeze at even the hottest times of the year. Should you wish, your bed can be wheeled out onto the private wooden deck for a night under the stars, overlooking the shimmering waters of the Boro River where hippo can often be spotted. Or take an indulgent soak under the stars on your own private viewing deck in our opulent star bath. At Baines’ Camp, the sky’s the limit. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia and Agoda so you can book your Sanctuary Baines' Camp reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sanctuary Baines` Camp Hotel Okavango Delta
- Sanctuary Baines' Camp Botswana/Okavango Delta