This was the first stop on a two week trek through Botswana (Baines Camp, Savute Safari Lodge, Chobe Under Canvas) and Zambia (Tongabezi). We stayed at each camp for three nights which I think is perfect for relaxation - and if there are any hiccups with flights you won't miss out on too much. Fortunately all of our transfers went very smoothly.
I'll try to rate this camp on it's own merit! We had been on a short safari to Sabi Sands in S..A. a few years ago and this was our first camp on our visit to Botswana.
We loved Baines's Camp for the following reasons: 1) only 5 "rooms" - these are individual, screened in, spacious, elevated huts all connected by bridges far enough away from each other to ensure some real privacy. 2) Terrific management team of Justin, Jackie and Flo and a great staff team - we felt like we were visiting old friends. 3) Mike our guide - really knowledgeable and a quiet sense of humor 4) the diversity of activity - game drive, motor boat drive, elephant experience, mokoro 5) the hippo under the deck - we took the opportunity to sleep under the stars out on the deck and a very loud and very large hippo paid us a midnight visit. You can't beat that! Oh and thanks to the team for the special twin tubs, candles and sparkling wine on the last night of visit. Nice touch.
Tip: When we visited, remote lodges/camps in Botswana were having problems processing Visa credit card numbers to pay for extras and gratuity. So bring US Dollars in small denominations. One camp manager explained this was a problem on the Botswana bank side, not necessarily on the VISA side - so even if you call your credit card company ahead of time, it still might not work.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sanctuary Baines’ Camp is our smallest and most intimate camp, built on raised platforms high above the Boro River in a huge private concession bordering the Moremi Game Reserve. An eco-friendly property built using only commercially grown wood, with over 150,000 recycled aluminium cans incorporated within the walls to provide insulation. The camp is raised above the permanent water of the Boro River while wooden walkways connect the main areas and luxury rooms. The swimming pool and the wide wooden deck that surrounds the main dining and sitting room is the ideal place to relax while observing the varied wildlife present here. See prowling lions looking for prey at the edge of the lagoon that the camp overlooks, or watch one of the many elephants who live in the area. The five suites at Sanctuary Baines’ are opulent and luxurious, with ensuite facilities and four-poster beds. Traditional safari ceiling fans create a cooling breeze at even the hottest times of the year. Should you wish, your bed can be wheeled out onto the private wooden deck for a night under the stars, overlooking the shimmering waters of the Boro River where hippo can often be spotted. Or take an indulgent soak under the stars on your own private viewing deck in our opulent star bath. At Baines’ Camp, the sky’s the limit. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Travelocity and Cheap Tickets so you can book your Sanctuary Baines' Camp reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sanctuary Baines` Camp Hotel Okavango Delta
- Sanctuary Baines' Camp Botswana/Okavango Delta