Sanctuary Stanley's Camp
$134
$103
Priceline
  • Pool
All reviewselephant experienceguide alangame viewingchobe chilweroearly marchbeautiful staffthe main lodgetented roomswe loved our stayday safariwelcome drinkthe general managerfantastic experienceafrican safariluxury safariwater crossingsbefore dinner
Reviewed October 10, 2013

My huband, 22 year old daughter and I stayed at Stanley's camp from Aug 21, 2013 to Aug 24, 2013. We had 2 lovely tents next to each other. Our experience was simply wonderful. We had fantastic guides and trackers. Thank you TT and KB.The food and service was exceptional.The staff was very friendly and helpful. Walking with the elephants was certainly a highlite, getting close to these wonderful creatures, cared for by Gord and Sandi Groves.
The safarri experiences were very exciting and we saw so many animals. Highly recommend this camp.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Gail N
Reviewed September 29, 2013

During our 3 weeks we stayed a 4 lodges and this was on of the best. I always enjoy the tent lodges the best even without a/c, this one is small, great feel, not like a resort lodge. We were the large group of 10 and it was great to be in a small camp. The newly wed camp managers were so helpful and the chef and staff were what I judged the other camp from. Romping through the water in the guide trucks and enjoying "sundowners" with the guides was a real treat.. The ability to see all the animals up close is something to remember, worth every dollar. I paid for our trip using american express so I was disappointed to see that when I added activities at the camp I was told that that card could not be used. I had to use a visa which added a 3 percent fee. Bad form from A and K
considering this was a high end travel company.. not the best value.

Room Tip: tents closer to the lodge are nice, less of a walk on sandy walkway
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank Baba-Kahawa
Reviewed September 25, 2013

Stanley camp was our first destination of four camps in Botswana. We went September 4, 2013. The camp was wonderful, the staff very attentive. There was a big group of guests and then my wife and I. Every night they prepared a special table for us to have dinner, once in the veranda, another next to the swimming pool and at every turn they made us feel very special. Food was delicious, gourmet level. The only thing I can thing about improving is the walking path to my tent (which was the farthest from the lodge) and it was sandy, and harder to walk on compared to the wood walkways in other places). We had a tracker and a guide, and they both performed beautifully. They were the nicest and very competent. We learned how to identify tracks of different animals and saw leopards lions and everything else that could be seen including WILD DOGS, which were a special treat since I know is not easy to see them. A big part our our incredible stay was the interactions with the elephants, Morula, Jabi and Thambi. We were slowly introduced to them (and them to us) we touched their skin and feet pads, looked inside their mouth and learn about their special teeth. We walked with them holding hands (really hand to trunk), we got kissed by them (rather wet) and they stole our hats but placed them again on our heads albeit a little wet. I did not mind. We had lunch and while we did one came to our table and positioned itself between by wife and I so we got a picture embracing her huge trunk.
Saying goodbye was hard. Gordon and Sandi Groves perform a work of love being with the elephants most of their waking hours. My interest (hobby) is photography so I was able to get beautiful pictures of animals, birds and landscape. The people at Stanley were always ready to help with a smile. Our experience was unforgettable

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Ekneler
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Everything was just wonderful Expensive, but worth it. Everything was provided and we had nothing to do but appear on time for meals and game drives. This is what I had hoped for when we went "high end" on this trip. The guides were great-- knew everything and helped our experience be all we hoped it could it to be. They had the right balance between professionalism and friendliness, making us feel welcome and not like the thousandth person who asked the same questions.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank NSHH
SanctuaryRetreats_2, Manager at Sanctuary Stanley's Camp, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on Tripadvisor.

We are delighted to hear that everything was wonderful and that you had such an enjoyable stay with us. Thank you for your kind comments especially about the guides, they were thrilled to learn you appreciated their efforts.

It was a pleasure hosting you and we do hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back soon.

In the meantime, please keep up to date with the latest news from Sanctuary Retreats and Stanley's Camp by liking us on Facebook. Just search for 'Sanctuary Retreats'

Best wishes
Sanctuary Retreats

Reviewed August 24, 2013

Beautiful Africa, beautiful Botswana, beautiful Delta, beautiful Stanley's camp and beautiful Staff. The song the choir sings, just sums everything up. The food was amazing, especially the BBQ around the Boma. The Elephant Experience with Doug and Sandy is a must to anybody visiting Stanley's Camp. Doug and Sandy have devoted their lives caring for the three elephants and it shows, the hospitality from them and the elephants is outstanding. The experience is truly overwhelming. Standing that close to one of the largest but most gentle animals in the world is enlightening. The most emotional trip.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Richard C
SanctuaryRetreats_2, Manager at Sanctuary Stanley's Camp, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2013

Dear Richard,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience of Sanctuary Stanley’s Camp on Tripadvisor!

We are so happy you had such an amazing experience with us and cannot agree more - the Elephant Interaction is definitely a life changing experience. We shared your feedback with Doug and Sandy, they loved your comments.

The team at Stanley’s really enjoyed hosting you and are hoping to welcome you back one day in the not too distant future.

You can keep up to date with all the latest news from Sanctuary Retreats and Stanley’s Camp by liking us on Facebook. Just search for ‘Sanctuary Retreats’.

Best wishes