“Incredible April Honeymoon Stay!”
Review of Kanana Camp

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Okavango Delta
Kanana Camp
Perth, Australia
“Incredible April Honeymoon Stay!”
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Kanana has something truly special to it. The staff there, who are more like friends, are so welcoming and friendly you will feel right at home straight away. Mark (manager) certainly runs a tight ship, with the camp presenting beautifully at all times and running extremely efficiently. You will want for nothing at meal times and we were even spoilt with a private surprise honeymoon dinner under the Boma (wedding singing and all). We felt so special at Kanana we really didn't want to leave and this is all before I've mentioned the gem in our stay, Pax, our guide. So knowledgable and attentive we were looked after intently and thoroughly enjoyed our wide variety of activities including bush walks, motor boating, mokoro(ing), and game drives. Pax was a super star, he new exactly when to leave us for a rest and when to offer us something new and different. We loved our time with him and all of Kanana, can not praise this wonderful place enough! We will be back!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Steffisburg, Switzerland
Reviewed September 1, 2013

Kanana Camp is well placed 20min (flight time) away from Maun. The minute you get there you feel welcome and comfortable. Mark and Georgie do a great job offering a consistently high level of service in all aspects - food, comfort, activities or any other wish one might have. The guides are very competent and aim to show the Okavango nature at it's best either on land or on water. Thankfully there is no cell phone reception which adds to the quietness of the place. After the 2 nights at Kanana we wished we had booked for a little longer...

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Vienna, Austria
Reviewed September 1, 2013

We changed our mind quite often at Kanana (we wanted boat trips instead of the earlier settled game drives, a night game drive instead of a deligthful evening at the camp), bumped into another boat while we were admiring marabus and pelikans and our little one needed urgent transport back to the camp during our bushwalk, so we required quite some extra attention. Everything was solved carefully and quickly, furthermore professionally, attentively and incredibly friendly. Thanks to Isaac, our wonderful guide, who shared his great knowledge about southern African nature with us and who was a great and witty chaperon, and to Marc and Georgie, who took care for absolutely everything. Needless to say that the rooms were comfortable and cosy and meals and drinks (don't forget the sundowner) were marvellous. It was a big adventure to stay in the very heart of the Okawango Delta and we think about going there again!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Sainte-Genevieve-des-Bois, France
Reviewed August 31, 2013

We stayed in Kanana Camp for three nights. The highlight were the "heronry" , which in August provides the great opportunity to have , with a small boat , 3 hours of amazing views of thousands of pelicans and marabouts spread on several islands, and the game drives and walks. But what makes the stay in Kanana Camp really good is the team and atmosphere. The service is really professional ,but the atmosphere is relaxing and it creates a nice ambiance with the team and moreover between the guests. The rooms are spacy, and well maintained. The food is good and drinks are offered nicely. This stay was the best moment of our trip in Namibia Bostwana.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 28, 2013 via mobile

The staff at this luxurious camp could not have been more friendly, more informative, nor better company during our stay. I can heartily recommend Kanana camp and know that we will be visiting again soon to see how life differs from season to season!

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank Graeme I
Sevenoaks
Reviewed August 17, 2013

this camp was served by staff who picked up very quickly on all your needs.It really was excellent personal service and nothing was too much.the food and the servicing of the rooms was fabulous and each day was a joy.The boat trips were well done as were the drives with everything tailor made to suit .
Thank you to Mark, Georgie and Amos for making it such a great stay.

Room Tip: all are good
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Rose W
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 6, 2013

Having been on an extended Safari in Eastern Africa (Kenya/Tanzania) in the past, it had always been my goal to visit the Okavanga Delta, where the landscapes are ever-changing (due to the flooding from Angola rains and subsequent drying over the dry season). I hoped to watch these wonders of biology unfold. And at Kanana, I was not disappointed. Do keep in mind that if this is your first safari experience, the Delta (even in the dry season) has less game than many of the eastern African destinations.

The flight into the camp (which was on Safari air, organized through Ker and Downey) was breathtakingly beautiful. It is a little more expensive to fly on Safari air than some competitors, I think, but the difference is negligible.

We landed at the airstrip on Kanana to be met by our guide, Isaac. Each party has their own private guide, when possible. The camp does their best to keep the same group with the same guide for the duration of the group's visit. Isaac was kind, enthusiastic, incredibly knowledgable and eager to share his love of local culture, Botswana, the wildlife and the landscape. I was to be at the camp for two days, but my friend was only able to stay for one day. Isaac worked incredibly hard to pack as much as possible into that one day, so that my friend could experience as much of the Delta as was possible. He took us on a game drive straightaway (and we saw a male and female lion - which Kanana is reputed to be excellent at tracking).

The boating, mokoro (canoe), and walking tours we experienced while there were equally fantastic. The food is wholesome and healthy, and delicious. And when I raved about their vegetarian shepherd's pie, they brought me the recipe! I love that the guides, along with Mark and Georgi (the manager and his wife) joined us at every meal. I had the opportunity to meet many other wonderful guides (Aubrey, Kenny) and hear there stories and get to know them, as well.

The accommodations are impeccable and the serenity of the camp is unbeatable.

When I was left solo after my friend departed, I found the experience to be equally rewarding. I had Isaac (my guide) to myself and had a wonderful solo guided set of game drives. The atmosphere created by the camp lended itself to easy camaraderie - the other 'campers' welcomed me into their discussions and I made new friends with Mark, Georgi, guides and guests, alike.

Having traveled extensively, I can say that my experience at Kanana was exemplary. I hope to travel there again soon - and recommend it most highly! Our trip was very short, so we were unable to visit additional camps. I think that the quality of the guide and the location of the camp (and thus types of activities) are probably the most important factor in making a decision regarding camps. We made our reservation last minute by emailing info@kerdowney.bw. We were volunteering to teach a course at UB so were able to get a fairly reasonable last-minute rate. Despite the last minute rate, this camp is expensive, though not the most expensive in the Delta. That said, it is a "once-in-a-lifetime" experience, and one that I recommend most highly.

I will be recommending Kanana Camp to my family and friends. Kanana is apparently Setswana for "paradise" - and a paradise it was...

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends