“Superb”

Haina Kalahari Lodge
Reviewed January 25, 2013

From the moment I arrived I felt like I was spending a weekend with very good friends. Wanda's (not sure about the spelling..) hospitality was great. Adrian's deep knowledge of the fauna and surroundings was extremely helpful, and a real pleasure to chat with him. Tracking abilities and conservation chats were also great with Vincent. It is great to feel the passion which they run this place and their love for nature and wilderness.
Regarding the food, I can't say that there was a single dish I didn't like during my stay. Most of the days we had different kinds of game meats, all cooked in different styles. They asked me from the beginning if I had any specific dietary requirements (none in my case), I guess so they could accommodate meals accordingly. Many kind of drinks were available as well, from water, wines and beers to soft drinks and spirits.
The tent where I stayed was very well equipped, with hot water basic electricity for some lights and excellent beds. It was a pleasure to stay there for a bit and relax between the rides.
Safari rides were very good. I went during summer (rainy season) and honestly had little expectations on what I could see, since animals tend to be more disperse as water is not scarce. This, however was not an issue, with my diligent guides we managed to see giraffes, eagles, wildebeests, impalas, kudus, Elands and other kind of antelopes. The highlight of the visit was seeing a lioness (very, very close encounter) after having a kudu meal and the night when we spotted two leopards in different sites.
The bushman walk was also good. The local guys will show you how their people used to live many years ago, how to make fire, extract water from certain roots and other few activities.
I was also keeping an eye to see whether this was as suitable place to bring my family (wife and 2 boys at 10 and 6 years old) and I wouldn’t hesitate to do so. I can highly recommend this place for any kind of traveler. Hope I can return any time soon!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank CarlosLAlv

Reviewed October 8, 2012

Great super and friendly
lovely to arrive after that hot dusty journey, worth the trip
beers could be colder but that's being picky
food excellent
staff great
wish we could have stayed longer, we'll be back though
RECOMMENDED

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gavin R
Ngwesi, Manager at Haina Kalahari Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2012

You have to come back and we will have a beer bucket full of ice ready ;) Thank you for the review and hope to see you soon !! Was lovely meeting you!

Reviewed August 22, 2012

We recently visited the Haina Kalahari Safari Lodge. I was taken back by the stunning area, the very friendly hosts and the animals that we saw there. We were in the Mongoose tent which is the family Tent which was spacious with a beautiful bathroom making you feel as though you are in the bush, I especially loved the tree next to the show square. Although it was very cold at night being the middle of winter in the desert, the beds were very comfortable with a nice hot water bottle waiting for you under your covers. The days were magnificent. Our hosts were just out of this world, welcoming, attentive, friendly and very present. They all went out of their way to make us feel at home and even babysat my two kids who didn't want to go out one afternoon for a few hours and one of our hosts Adrian even took my son on a spin on his motorbike which just made my son's day. Food was just delicious, I wanted to take Wanda home because all her creations were just amazing, and Crystal, her husband and granddaughter who prior to us arriving dealt with all my emails and questions were just a pleasure to be around as well. We loved the evening campfire where all the guests could just relax, talk about what they saw that day and where in the world they came from and it also gave the guests a chance to get to know our hosts a bit better which was lovely. The water hole at the main reception area of your lodge where you can see all kinds of animals 15m from where you are sitting having a drink or reading a book is just an amazing experience and very unique. The bushman experience is A MUST. It was one of the highlights of this trip to see how the true Motswana bushman used to live. Our kids had so much fun, we felt so relaxed, Haina is definitely a lodge we'll be visiting in the near future again.

Room Tip: If going in the Botswana winter, it can get up to 2 degrees in the tents, so take thermals.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Irene L
Reviewed June 26, 2012

We stayed there for two nights as part of our safari experience. We opted for a tent/villa as opposed to camping outdoors. The accommodation is breath-taking, with a king bed, central bath and other regular room accessories available. The room was so spacious.

At the central reception is where we would have all our meals. Overlooking it is one of the better water pans that attracts most of the wildlife that live in the large enclosure. This waterpan is within 10m, and all day long we saw different species of antelope, wild beast, warthog, giraffes, hyenas, jackals and a honey badger.

This was our daily routine: morning started at 0700 with breakfast buffet, 0730 we would go for a 2 1/2 hour game drive, at 1100 we had brunch, after lunch at 1300 we could go solo quad bike riding or bushmen walking, then we would do a night game drive at 1600 to return at 1900. We would have a three course dinner at 2000.

The staff are very personable, warm and friendly, from Crystal and Dean the managers, Petros who was our game ranger and all the other staff. Having gone there in the quiet season we were able to do whatever we wanted.

Overall, WHAT A SAFARI...!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 9, 2012

I ´did have a pleasure to stay for few days in Haina. I was lucky enough to be the only guest on those days, so I was really pampered - got special food don ejust for me and opportunity to meet the managers and spend time with them. Excellent place :)

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed January 31, 2012

Our stay at Haina belonged definitely to the best we had during our travel in Botsuana.
The warm and friendly welcome on arrival, the great evenings sharing time with the staff (Dion, David, Trust and Crystal), and the location of the tents it all made our stay wonderful.
It was a once in a lifetime experience seeing a Leopard so close to the car in the darkness. Especially when the car breaks down! Also getting so close to a group of Lions was a great feeling.
All together we would definitely go back here, we loved the place and our stay!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 5, 2011

The warm traditional song of welcome set the tone for the next 4 days. The beauty of the lodge, the luxurious tented en suite accommodation and its surroundings pealed away the tresses of city life, while the friendly and efficient staff catered to all our pleasures.

Each day was filled with the wonders of the African bush - lions, leopards, black back jackal. All this, was accented by the colourful array of bird life.

Watching the sun slip down over the Kalahari horizon was the perfect entre to scrumptious the dinners served each night.

Thank you to everyone at Haina Kalahari Lodge for the most memorable and we believe the best stay in Botswana.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
#1 of 8 in Kasane
No photo provided
Mikalele Motel
#1 of 1 in Central Kalahari Game Reserve

Been to Haina Kalahari Lodge? Share your experiences!