“Baobab Report”
Review of Planet Baobab

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Makgadikgadi Pans National Park
Planet Baobab
Livingstone, Zambia
“Baobab Report”
Reviewed January 21, 2014

On arrival we were greeted by Kelly, who was professional, polite and very informative. She gave us a very welcome cold drink and then explained very clearly how everything worked and gave very specific instructions on how to get to our room.
The room itself, was clean, tidy and functional with a hot shower and a massive Baobab tree outside the front garden.
There is a well lit pathway to the bar/restaurant/pool area. All the staff were happy and helpful.
The evening menu is limited, but what they do serve is tasty and decent sized.
10 out of 10 for breakfast, one of the best I've had in a long time - plenty of choice and even fresh fruit salad, which in the middle of the desert is quite impressive.
No complaints at all, but a suggestion for the rooms is some patio furniture for next time.
10 out of 10 for customer service. A little bit of attention to detail goes a long way.

Room Tip: all rooms would be good
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank truckslag

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed January 9, 2014

We generally use Planet Baobab as a stop over point between Johannesburg & Maun, we are always happy with the service, the food is great and the atmosphere is relaxed. The huts are basic, clean and comfortable and full of character. The staff went out of their way to assist us when we returned unexpectedly after spending a very wet and windy night camping on the Magadigadi. Next time we will arrange to do the quad bike overnight on the pans.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank lulu008
Livingstone, Zambia
Reviewed January 6, 2014

As we were travelling to our one home in South Africa to our other in Zambia, we decided to break our journey with our two young boys by stopping over at Planet Baobab for two nights en route. It is the perfect place for our two to run around, build sandcastles under the shadow of the baobabs and for a wonderful rustic relaxing time.

We had one day to enjoy ourselves so we decided to do the lodge Meerkat activity out on the pans and this was truly wonderful. Even though it is the rainy season in Botswana, we couldn't miss out on the opportunity to get up close to these magnificent beings. Through torrential downpours and getting stuck in the mud, we had such a fun family experience: the marvellous meerkat encounter; walking through the most exquisite, flat, open landscapes on the pans; getting caught in persistant downpours where our boys relished in catching raindrops on their tongues - fun was had by all!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank TinaAponte
Reviewed December 27, 2013

I stayed 3 nights and have to say that the initial impression when booking in was not good. The main thing that the receptionist seemed to be desperate to tell us was that we had to be out of our chalet by 10.00am. The huts are basic but clean and quite comfortable. There was a fan which made no difference to the temperature in the chalet and consequently it was like sleeping in an oven. We had no problem with the mosquito nets and the bathroom area was adequate. It would be nice to have chairs outside the chalet. The food was poor by comparison with other camps I have stayed at. The visit to the pans was brilliant for my companion who had never been on a safari before but it was a long day for an hour at the water hole. We did see the meerkats which was great but again it was a very short time and a long drive. On the good side the pool is one of the best have seen and the bar is really comfortable. Loved the beer bottle chandeliers but when I was told that the bottles were stuck on with glue I made sure I wasn't sitting under them!!! Poor value for the cost.

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank beelady58
Baghdad, Iraq
Reviewed December 9, 2013

I spent one night here in May of 2012. There were three adults and we stayed with the sole goal of doing an excursion to the Salt Pans and seeing the meerkats. The lodge itself had a uniqueness to it. The rooms made me feel a bit like Barney Rubble. They were quaint, however a bit expensive in my opinion. I don't think they were worth $95.00 per person at all, because they were very basic. We arrived in the afternoon and had a reasonably priced dinner and drinks. The next morning, we went out quad biking and to see the meerkats.

The quad bike excursion was rather expensive as well, but in my opinion it was worth it. It was $195.00 per person. If you do the quad bike, make sure you get clarity up front whether each person gets a quad bike. I don't know if the guide was joking at first, but he initially attempted to put 2 people on a quad bike saying we were suppose to share. For $195.00 per person I told him that I think we each get a quad bike and he was accommodating. I would assume that individual bikes would be standard, but just ask to make sure up front.

After the quad biking we were completely filthy, but I was not impressed by the shower(heat/pressure), and ultimately ended up just not showering and driving to our next overnight stop which was only a couple hours north.

The problem is that this place is in the middle of nowhere and to make a 5-6am drive, you really need to stay there. I don't know how the actual camping is...but it is much cheaper and I am sure they have absolution facilities.

If you do the quad biking, bring a scarf (although they will provide one as well), and bring sun glasses. If you wear contacts, I would advise you not wear them and wear glasses. The dust that was generated from quad biking, turned us all white with dirt and my eyes were aching even with shades afterwards.

I stayed here in May of 2012, but was not given that option.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank World_Wandering_FSO
Emerald, Australia
Reviewed November 29, 2013 via mobile

We camped at Planet Baobab for one night with our Overland group. The camp site was excellent, clean, sandy, powered, picturesque. The pool was an excellent relief, even though it was chilly. The bar had a great range & reasonable prices. We fell in love with the toilet block that services the bar area, as overlanders we had seen some tragic toilets, Planet Baobab provided real luxury in toilets. Thank you.

Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Budapest, Hungary
Reviewed November 10, 2013

I spent a great night here. My room was the #11 and when I saw it I felt like a hobbit. Funny look-a-like, very spacious and let's say authentical accomodation with open bathroom and toilette on the back of the room. Due to the wide walls and the roof the temperature was very pleasent without using ventillator too.
Fortunately I'm only 175 cm tall because the bed cannot be longer than 180 cm, which might be a problem for a certain part of human beings.

The bar is fantastic, very nice and has a great atmosphere. The staff was helpfull, internet is available but subject to payment. The baobad trees are really wonderful, one of them is around 400-500 years old.

I enjoyed my stay here and will back one day.

Room Tip: Room #11 is the closest to the bar and the pool. :)
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Muchenje Campsite & Cottages
Ihaha Campsite
Ihaha Campsite
#17 of 20 in Chobe National Park

Been to Planet Baobab? Share your experiences!