Planet Baobab
  • Pool
$291
$216
Priceline
All reviewssalt pansovernight triptwo nightsquad bikesgreat campsitehuge baobab treesswimming poolmosquito netfamily roomtraditional lunchfire pitcamping tripbush walkgreat barmeerkat encountersingle bedcow hide
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Our child had to sleep on a roll bed, but without mosquito net so we had to share a single bed with him. Very unconfortable. The next morning, when we advise reception that we didn't use the bed, they ignore us and say it had to be charged, When we explained they could obviously see it was not use, they didn't want to check, we really had the feeling they didn't want to make any effort to go and check...It is true the rooms are a bit far , not ideal for families,

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Planet Baobab seems to get mixed reviews and I can see why. To really "get it" you need to go with the flow and take it on its own terms not on your pre-conceived ideas of what it should be. The reception area is very stylishly different and the welcome most friendly and efficient. The chalets are on the simple side but well equipped, clean and comfortable in quiet settings perhaps 100m from the dining/reception/bar. Yes, there might be occasional animals in the roof but you are in the bush and they dont bite!

Caltex as a guide is an absolute star!

We went on the salt pan overnight sleep under the stars experience which was spectacular. Yes there was a toilet, the food was as good as in the lodge and the stars were unbelievable - but I will leave you to find out the rest. We managed it at our advanced age of 66 but you do perhaps need to be slightly adventurous to manage the quad bikes and the sleeping rolls.

Thank you Planet baobab for a wonderful two day experience.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank arkivist
Reviewed September 2, 2013

There are many different opinions about Planet Baobab. We stayed in May 2013 there for two nights. We were travelling in Botswana as self-driver, combining camping with expensive and less expensive lodges.
The main purpose in Planet Baobab was to see the Meerkats. That activity was perfectly organised and timing was also excellent. We arrived just before the colony woke up and went to warm on the first morning sun. We spent great time with Meerkats, made some wonderful photos!
The personal was extremely friendly and flexible. We booked one night on the pans but then decided to make a morning trip and spend that night in lodge. That was done without any problem. We liked the food and the service was also very good!
Yes, there was no electricity for an hour about 7:00 PM but knowing that we had already shower before. There was free WiFi and we could chat with friends and download emails after dinner (we were 5 weeks in Bots and email was somehow also important).
I read about the gap between the wall and the roof in the Huts before, of course. But we were absolute excited of the building technique!! The round huts were more colourful as what I‘ve seen on the pictures! The buildings remind me Hundertwasser House in Vienna. It has character! But most important they were warm at night and cool during the day. It reminds me of the clay-house of my grandparents, where was the same: cool during the day and warm at night. It just holds the constant temperature. If Batswana built such houses thousands of years then the construction shall have some reason. The opening between the walls and the roof didn‘t bother us: the bed-nets were absolute perfect and new and every night we got a repellent mosquito coil. The missing light in the shower was also not a problem: I just hang a headlight there. The shower worked perfectly, hot water was available and the cold water was very clean so that we could drink it. The hut was absolutely clean!
If I travel to Botswana I also want to live in traditional hut and take a shower outside or in a bathroom with opening. Then I feel the nature on my skin and the time stops. If I would like to have a spa then I would choose the other destination.
Planet Baobab gave me exactly what I wanted: colorful traditional buildings to live, gorgeous time with Meerkats and sincerely friendly personal!
The staff was better, more friendly and natural than in some expensive lodges!
It was a great experience for me and excellent value for money.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 30, 2013

Our stay at planet Baobab was nice, with a cosy hut/bungalow. What made it memorable was the overnight trip we made with guide Kimmy and cook Gilbert. We drove with a jeep to a farm where we started our trip on quads on the makgadikgadi pans. We visited a Meerkat colony and then drove to the "camp", in the middle of the pans. Everywhere you looked was nothing, no animals, no vegetation, only the empty plain. Gilbert started a fire and made a delicious dinner. The sundown was fairylike and we slept in a matrass under the stars....

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 15, 2013

Great bar, lovely pool (though absolutely freezing), wonderful rooms but the service is terrible. I was with an overlanding group (families might be treated differently) and we were camping for two nights. We drove in, our leader went to reception and we set up camp (as upgrades were a ridiculous US$125 a night a room for two) and all was good, UNTIL the next day at lunch time when another group of travellers turn up telling us we have to move as we are in there spot that they booked a year in advance (we had also booked in advance). We stood our ground but management was useless, only giving us the option of either moving our tents or upgrading at a discount, ie paying them for their mistake. We would've left at that point but the next night was paid in advance and they didn't allow refunds.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends