“Amazing animals”
Review of Savute Reserve

Savute Reserve
More attraction details
Owner description: Rich in grasslands, desert plains and volcanic hills, the Savuti (Savute) area covers nearly two thousand square miles of Chobe National Park.
Reviewed January 19, 2013

This is a great reserve where the Botswana anti-poaching laws ensure you will see plenty of animals in their natural environment.

Reviewed January 3, 2013

Be ready to travel on rough sand road but its worth it. Ngoma Safari Lodge packed us a picnic basket and we had elephants passing by us less than 200 meters while enjoying our lunch.
A trip we both will not forget for a very long time

1  Thank Lisa A
Reviewed January 1, 2013

We drove from Kasane through Chobe reserve to Kachikau - Gohaha Gate - Savuti, the drive was excellent as we started early morning we had nice game drive inside Chobe and towards Savuti. We had some rain during our drive a powerful 4x 4 and responsible drive can take you there easily and more over one will enjoy the drive as well. It not advisable to get down from the car and spend time outside enjoying the nature, as you know we are inside animal territory.

Camping inside Savuti was nice, you can expect tusker visits even in your camp site and put some camp fire and light up your tent. We camped in CV10 and in the night as we were busy planning to sleep, we spotted two elephants in the next camp site. As we slept we could hear them around as well. As its not a fenced campsite, you can also expect lions and leopards also but they said its rare that they have spotted them in the campsite, but elephants are common in campsite. Ablution facilities are very good, try to get the campsite close to it. Camp sites that are far will have to drive to the ablution block as walking is not safe. As we saw the elephants in the campsite we didn't find it ease to drive also, as we did not want to hit them or scare them by chance and cause a havoc there.

There is a small shop run by the staffs there, which will help for some small stuffs. Savuti is powered by solar and power generator, the staff helped us to charge our cameras and also to transfers all pics to our hard drives.

Wildlife, is excellent here, remember we are not in a zoo or in a fenced reserve, so no one can promise anything. We drove around using our personal vehicle (toyota prado vx - with no customization), gps really helped with the trails. We visited Savuti during December, we had some drizzling rain and the bush was really green which really made our game drive little disappointing as the animals can easily hide under these bushes. We spotted two lions, giraffes, buffaloes, kudus, zebras etc... But our main expectations with Savuti was for lions, leopards etc. I would recommend to spend at least 2-4 days, which will really help one to run around the whole reserve and also to take drive to Lynyanti as well.

We are planing to drive Savuti from Maun/Moremi side and towards Kasane during July- Aug 2013.

Good luck with your trip!

Reviewed September 8, 2012

A recent visit to Savuti Camp has left my family and I most distressed.
On nearing the end of a wonderful holiday in Botswana we had the misfortune to cross paths with the power crazed manager of this idyllic spot.
This fellow is the epitomy of rudeness & arrogance. His name- Jinx(Jinxy) is rather appropriate because that’s what he did to the rest of our holiday. A problem arose when my son whilst innocently exploring some (unbeknownst to him) apparently hallowed ground reserved for the US 580 PPPN brigade was highly embarrassed, when reprimanded by this fellow in an unnecessarily brutal, high handed and provocative manner in front of his French wife and some US tourists.
Apparently part of the camp is now off limits to us mere mortals(campers) although there is no demarcation or signs to that effect worth speaking of.
Later on I accompanied him on the same holy ground to look for some people whom we had rescued from the sand about 15mins away from the camp the previous day (The Camp Manager having unfortunately not been in a position to help them in spite of their calls on a satellite phone more then an hour before!) and who had invited us for a drink. There being no visible signage and nobody around to check with, we went ahead.
After we had gone about 30 metres we heard a bellowing noise behind us. On turning around we saw an SKL (the people now running the camp) staff member jumping up and down on the spot whilst berating us and screaming at us to come back. Never having been spoken to like this before by someone in the so called Hospitality industry and whom we didn’t know from a bar of soap we ignored his rudeness and carried on to see our friends.
In this time, he went over to where our car was parked, where our two wives were sitting in the back, and proceeded to help himself (through the open window) to the car keys which were still in the ignition, and shouting at them "your husbands are on MY property, I will take them to the officials!"
On our way back we were accosted by this same staff member who proceeded to shout and scream like a banshee and tell us in no uncertain terms that "he would throw us out of the camp because he was empowered to do so"!
As he continued in his rant we lost the moral high ground somewhat when my normally placid and easy going son finally lost it and called him a pyg. A term which whilst not improving the human relations situation was nevertheless not inappropriate. To which the worthy Jinxy retorted “Well you're a pyg, you're a pyg!” It became even more heated. Jinxy became increasingly belligerent. At this stage I had to separate them as I thought this fellow may assault my son.
I tried to smooth things over but the Camp Manager (who was empowered remember!) continued to act in an unreasonable and aggressive manner, mentioning the word racis! to which I highly object. Nothing like that had ever been inferred or alluded to by me and when I had threatened to sue him if he used the word again and lodge a complaint he said “Well it will be your word against a million others!” Did he mean my word as a white person against a million Botswanans? (Read- “africans” - maybe?) Was this the inference? Racis!? Who??
Later in the day whilst still somewhat in shock we were out game viewing when the aforementioned .....came roaring up to us in a game viewing vehicle and ordered us back to the camp immediately.
After a heated discussion in the Gate Office in which he uttered several untruths for the benefit of an ineffectual Wildlife official who seemed to be sitting in on the proceedings as some sort of adjudicator, he told us he was throwing us out of the camp. We wanted to phone his superiors (Not that I think that HE thinks he has any) but he would not let us use the phone and there is no cell phone reception at Savuti.
We were shocked. We were stranded miles from anywhere with no means of communication. We had paid in advance and my son and his wife had paid thousands to come from Paris on this holiday where they had been promised that Savuti would be the highlight of their trip. When we asked about refunding our accommodation money he was unforthcoming. I can’t remember the time of day but I had a feeling that we would have been driving after dark on the terrible road that leads to the gate and the even worse one outside the gate which joins up with the Kasane road.
So what could we do? Eventually we had to grovel and crawl to this obnoxious fellow and apologise. We felt humiliated and demeaned. He had been aggressive, rude, loud and overbearing from the beginning. We did not deserve this. It was patently obvious that he wanted us to crawl to enhance his inflated ego and satisfy his delusions of grandeur. This unfortunately we had to do, we had no choice.
So now the Camp Manager continues to rule over his personal fiefdom. He told us he wanted his career to “skyrocket”. Well if he and his career were to “skyrocket” to Jupiter it couldn’t be soon enough or far enough.
And if this skyrocketing Camp Manager were to pay some attention to getting some hot water in the showers, getting rid of the stink of sewage which emanates from near the ablution block and fixing the doors he would be better employed.
But I suppose harassing the guests is much more gratifying!
He brings SKL camps into disrepute and should be removed forthwith.

16  Thank Jack M
Reviewed May 25, 2012

this place has a river(savute channel) stoped flowing in the late 80 s and came back to life in 2011,interesting to see how the behavior of animals changed.