“Some Place!!”

Muchenje Safari Lodge
Reviewed January 24, 2013

We stayed three days at Muchenje and what a three days they turned out to be. From the moment we stepped foot in the door Joy made us feel exceedingly welcome, in fact the drive from the airport with Kebelo (KB) who was to be our main guide was exceptional. The lodge is a wonderful place in all aspects, rooms are clean, with delightful views into Namibia, they are light and airy, the dinning area is very well maintained and the food is wonderful. Eating together with Robert, Joy and the other guests turned into a friendly and sociable experience. The days are quite long discovering the Park but this is what we went for. KB was an exceptionally talented man who was well informed on all aspects of the wild life and the diverse nature of Chobe. In addition, his tracking abilities were first class. Always in control, he knew when to go in close to the animals and when to leave well alone. We got up close to some Lions on a two occasions, firstly a couple of males and a female, followed later in the day by a pride of females and their offspring. On the visit to the local school we encountered a Spitting Cobra in the school reception. KB in his usual calm manner, dealt with the matter by removing the snake from the building. We encountered many animals in the three days which is why we returned to Africa. To conclude, go Muchenje you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank dmf30

Reviewed January 22, 2013

I cannot say how much Muchenje impressed me. Normally I don't believe in giving a perfect score as there is always room for improvement. Not in this case. The lodge itself, the staff, the food, the activities were second to none! I stayed 10-12 Jan 2013 as a single female traveller and I couldn't have been made to feel more welcome or looked after any better! If you are tossing up between Muchenje and anywhere else, there is no contest! Joy and Robert and the staff really make you feel like you are in a home away from home!

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed January 10, 2013

My husband and I and our two teenagers stayed at Muchenje in December, 2012. We absolutely loved it. The bartender, Jackson, had an ice cold beer in our hands within a minute of arrival. Joy, Robert and JJ were friendly, helpful and lots of fun. We had two chalets - one for us and one for our kids right next door - very convenient. The food was amazing - salads, roasts, vegetables, desserts, warm bread - everything was fresh and beautifully presented. Joy cooked eggs to order every morning for breakfast. We loved the buffet style. My husband is lactose intolerant and my daughter is a vegetarian, so everyone could choose just what they wanted. We also liked sitting with other guests at the long table - it was fun getting to know people from all over the world. We had great game drives with our ranger, Nick. The first day we did a combined boat safari and game drive. We sat on the boat and ate a delicious picnic lunch prepared by Joy while we watched elephants play in the river - magical! We saw lions, leopards, hundreds of elephants and hippos along with many other animals and birds. We sat on the deck at night and drank wine and just relaxed. Our last day we visited the local village which is supported by Muchenje. It was a very meaningful and eye opening experience. We loved every minute and were sad to leave!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Deanna A
Reviewed January 6, 2013

We stayed at Muchenje Safari Lodge as part of a trip of a lifetime to Africa. The goal of this part of the trip was wildlife - and wildlife there was! The first view from the deck of our individual luxury cabins overlooking the Chobe River into Namibia was amazing - thousands of zebra. And it just got better. The room was comfortable and clean, the lodge well-situated to catch the breeze, and the food well-prepared and hearty. All staff, including the guides, were helpful, kind and very accommodating. Great trips with small groups into Chobe National Park - morning, day, night - and the boat ride on the river are highly recommended. Wonderful to break for sun downers near the river to watch the antelope and giraffe. The guides were first-rate and highly experienced. I couldn't believe the number of elephants! Remember to lock your deck door or the baboons will "borrow' your stuff freely.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank CochraneCowgirl
Reviewed January 2, 2013

We spent 3 nights at Muchenje as part of our honeymoon and had a wonderful time. The lodge is situated with a view to die for looking over the Chobe flood plain towards Namibia. My only real nit-pick, and it's very tiny, is that we would have preferred more "local" food, but having said that, the food that was on offer was excellent anyway. Many thanks to Joy & Robert, and to Nick our guide, for making this a wonderful start to our time in Botswana.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Berrys66
Reviewed December 20, 2012

I stay at Muchenje with my father in November 2012. We had a wonderful time and really enjoyed the lodge. There was lots of activities on offer and Joy and Robert were very friendly and accommodating. The lodge had wifi unlike other place we stayed which was very convenient. I will definitely recommend Muchenje to family and friends! Thanks Joy and Robert!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 18, 2012

I was here for three days the end of Nov-first of Dec 2012 with a coworker at the end of a business trip and I can't wait to come back with my husband. It was a wonderful experience in every way. Being the off season there were only 8 guests total while I was there. The cabins are beautiful and very comfortable with full baths, plenty of hot water, air conditioning and wonderful views. Meals are family style in the main lodge with everyone sitting at one table and serving themselves from a buffet - food was excellent and varied with each meal. One note - the dining area is essentially open to the outside and bugs will be present. Kabelo (KB) was our guide through the three days and he was superb - very knowledgeable about all the animals, birds, insects and the history and culture of Botswana - and very patient with all the times he heard "Stop! I want a picture of that tree (or flower or view or...)". KB has an amazing ability to find game and little tiny birds on distant branches - I'll definately request him as my guide when I return. Everyone else on the staff was happy, friendly and helpful, and the hosts, Joy and Robert, make everyone feel like family. There isn't a fitness center, but if you have time to look for one you aren't taking advantage of the game drives. I can't imagine staying anywhere that could be better than Muchenje.

Room Tip: Every room is actually a cabin with wonderful views.