“Fabulous little corner of Botswana!”
Review of Ngoma Safari Lodge

Ngoma Safari Lodge
Stockholm, Sweden
“Fabulous little corner of Botswana!”
Reviewed May 24, 2013

I recently brought a private group to ngonma safari lodge and we all thoroughly loved it. Food, service and rooms are all lovely and in keeping with their fabulous surroundings. I'd recommend it to everyone!

• Stayed May 2013
AfricaAlbidaTourism, Manager at Ngoma Safari Lodge, responded to this review, June 16, 2013
What a great pleasure it was to welcome guests from Sweden into our African Eden. Thank you for your very precise but strong endorsement of Ngoma as an enriching experience in your lives.

office@ngomasafarilodge.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed May 22, 2013

From the moment we were in the truck with Bevan from the airport we knew this adventure was going to be amazing. In the less than one hour drive through the park to the lodge.. we saw elephants, zebras, buffalo and antelope.. so much for being worried that we wouldn't see animals on this trip!!

We pulled off the highway to an unmarked, sandy road .. we weren't sure what to expect as we drove through the bush.. and were absolutely stunned at the beauty of our surroundings when we approached the lodge!! We were greeted immediately by our gracious hosts, handed hot towels and a delicious refreshing drink! -- Literally from the moment we arrived, every need (even those we didn't know we had) was taken care of to perfection. We sat with Mina on the incredible lodge terrace overlooking the stunning vista and discussed our plans for the next day and what our hopes were for our stay!! We had no idea that every thought/expectation/hope would be exceeded beyond comprehension.

Bevan was a phenomenal guide!! He is so calm, easy-going, knowledgable and truly a pleasure to spend our days with.. he was a perfect match for us! Our first full day was a dream! The boat trip is a great introduction to the park, animals and surroundings. It's very peaceful and so nice to be on the water in the morning. On the boat, we saw hippos, crocs, elephants and if you love birds.. Chobe is paradise! From the boat we did a short game drive to our lunch spot which was amazing! We were expecting a basic picnic... lunch was fabulous and unexpected! (guard your lunch from the monkeys!! ha ha) Bevan is very in tune to what the needs of his guests are.. we often stopped for a drink, a stretch or just a chat about our surroundings. His abilities as a tracker/guide are unbelievable.. how he finds some of these animals is absolutely amazing! We saw elephants, giraffes, various antelope, zebras, buffalo, leopards, lions... etc. It was so perfect!! We also enjoyed a visit to Mabele where we met some of his family and friends. We loved that Bevan loves what he does and is obviously very passionate about providing and creating a meaningful experience for his guests!

The private lodges are everything you could hope for. The view is spectacular overlooking the river, land and watering hole and the space offers every comfort you could ask for! Housekeeping, laundry & turn down services were perfect and we were made to feel extremely comfortable throughout our entire stay.

The food... amazing!! Chef Samson, Eva, Hope.. wow. We were not disappointed!! We recommend splitting up your day if you have the chance (go out in the morning.. come back for lunch.. go out in the afternoon)... the lunch menu is fantastic & the lodge is too perfect to not enjoy for a few hours in the middle of the day! We loved the presentation of the menu, the choice and the tastes!! Dinner was always decadent.. 3 courses, at least a couple choices for each.. easily a five star dining experience every night!

The service is impeccable!! We loved that we got to know everyone a little bit better due to our longer stay.. 4 nights. Always warm greetings and the level of service, attention to detail and desire to provide a great experience never wavered.

We will never forget this experience and would not hesitate even a moment to recommend this lodge to anyone planning a safari experience! It would be a dream and a pleasure to return to Ngoma.

Thank you so much for making this dream vacation more than we could have ever hoped!

Room Tip: The "cabins" are perfect!! We stayed in #2 =D
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Thank you Kaia in Canada for your comprehensive and very enthusiastic review of your experiences at Ngoma Safari Lodge and your view that this is indeed "paradise." It's a wonderful start when your transfer to the lodge is a great game drive in itself, but then guide Bevan obviously exceeded all expectations in the following days in showcasing both the wildlife and the culture of the srea.

Bevan was so pleased you were interested enough to meet his family ans thanks you for your accolades.

relief manager
Gig Harbor, WA
Reviewed May 20, 2013

Absolutely spectacular. The view from the lodge - and your room is just stunning. Literally hundreds of animals on the game drives - mostly buffalo, elephants, zebras and giraffes - saw a few lions as well. You can see animals right from the lodge as well. The staff was magnificent and the food was great. My wife and I stayed there for 3 nights and wished it had been 4. I recommend Ngoma Lodge 100%.

Daryl & Nickie Chadderdon
Gig Harbor, WA

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you Daryl and Nickie for your 100% endorsement of Ngoma as a wonderful safari experience. That's the wonder of Chobe Park, you can see many hundreds of animals on the open plains and to go safari by boat is also a unique dimension. We're very happy you also saw lions...your review will inspire many others to visit. Thank you!

Relief manager
Reviewed May 18, 2013 via mobile

First time in Botswana and i absolutely loved it.
The lodge is beautiful and the view amazing .the bedroom well done ,well organize and very clean.
All the staff were trying their best to make us comfortable and happy.
The food was excellent .It was light ,well cooked with nice varieties.
One evening i saw like a migration of buffalos :i could not believe that I could see so many together!
This was the highlight of my stay there!
The managers ,Mina and Gavin were so wonderful .they were so welcoming that they live me a beautiful souvenir of my stay with them.
Great lodge ! I will come back !

Stayed May 2013
AfricaAlbidaTourism, Manager at Ngoma Safari Lodge, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Thank you Nathalie for your five-star review. It's really exciting, isn't it, when you relish your first experience in a destination that exceeds your expectations? How wonderful that you witnessed big herds of buffalo with so many together. If you ever return for a second visit try for August/September/October when the world's largest elephant herds parade on the floodplains of the Chobe River, as well as massive herds of buffalo, zebra and so many other species!

Boston, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed May 16, 2013

Ngoma was the second of four stops on our African honeymoon. I arrived to the Lodge in fairly rough shape, having discovered my body was NOT a fan of the malaria pills I'd been taking. Sick or not, when we initially stepped from the dusty road into the main lodge and dining room, the view of the shockingly beautiful landscape took my breath away. The scenery is stunning and Ngoma itself complements these surroundings with luxuriously rustic natural wood and stone foundations enhanced by clever decor that looks like it comes from the pages of a safari interior decorating magazine. I cannot do the place any justice here. It's something that must be experienced firsthand.

Johanne, a server on the staff, asked if there was anything we'd like to have for lunch. I hadn't eaten for a couple of days with my stomach in knots and asked if there was any soup. Sadly, there was not. We were led back to our private bungalow (equally fantastic, with our own private plunge pool and sun deck overlooking the river) where I would be spending my afternoon sleeping off the tummy troubles while my new husband got to go off on safari. Within the hour, there was a knock at the door. Dear Johanne was there with freshly made soup and bread that had been made specially for me. Wow! It was delicious and so thoughtful. I was feeling much better in time to watch the sunset over the Chobe River. THIS was what I'd waited my life for and why I've been dreaming of Africa since childhood. That thirty minutes will remain seared in my mind for the rest of my life. Colors changing from yellows to oranges, reds to purples, accompanied by the snorts of grouchy male impalas and trumpets of a parade of elephants headed from the river inland were more than I ever could have hoped for. And this was within my first three hours...

The next four days passed far too quickly. We'd be whisked away daily after breakfast by Shimie, our wonder guide, to explore the park. Shimie knows everything about everything Botswana and was so happy and excited to feed our eager minds on anything that piqued our interest from the magic of dung beetles to where to find sleepy lions and hungry leopards or how to share a tent with puff adders and live to tell the story. He is amazing and rose quickly to superhero status for us. I was able to see all the animals and creatures that previously lived only in my imagination or at the zoo in their own element. I've just been sharing with all my colleagues that I learned more in my five days with Shimie than in the last ten years of my life (yes, I realize this is sad, but it has also inspired me a great deal!)

Then there's the food: OH. MY. GOSH. Eve and Hope worked magic in that kitchen. Each meal was the best I've ever had. My husband particularly looked forward to the part of the evening where the chefs came out and described the menu options. Beautiful presentation and DELICIOUS food, all in a romantic, candle-lit paradise under the brightest stars we've ever seen.

Mina and Gavin, the Lodge managers, were so helpful, genuine and sweet and always took time at our meals to check in and see that we were happy and listen to our daily adventures. One night, they arranged a honeymoon surprise for us. We arrived back covered in dust from a day-long safari. All I wanted was a bath before dinner. Waiting in our bungalow was a hot, candle-lit bubble bath with champagne on ice. Magic!

Long story short: for two well-traveled people, this was hands-down the best place we've ever stayed. Not just a place, but an experience. Needless to say, I cried as our flight took off from Livingstone, headed for the Seychelles to begin our "relaxing" portion of the trip. Ngoma Lodge will remain forever in my heart and I want to thank the beautiful staff there for anticipating every little detail to make us feel comfortable, pampered and excited through our whole stay. Anyone would be extremely lucky to have this experience. I hope to be back soon!

Room Tip: All rooms are fantastic
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello Gillian. Wow, thanks for such a wonderful rave review! We've been the location of choice for several honeymoons since we opened two years ago and all have been fantastically positive. Many Trip Advisor researchers will read your stunning review with a sense of excitement as you paint such a vivid scene.

Thanks for the accolade as "the best place I've stayed at" . We''re just so thrilled we made your dreams come true and that this experience has enriched your life as well as being the most perfect spot on earth for such a very special occasion.

Lake District, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 10, 2013

Have just returned (9th May) from Botswana and our final two nights were spent at this utterly delightful lodge. Ngoma (means drum) gave us a superb welcome and we were looked after with genuine warmth and high efficiency by Mina and her staff. Nothing was to much trouble and I would give every aspect of the lodge 5 stars. The accommodation is stunning as well as the mess area with fine quality furnishings and design. The views down to the waterhole and the Chobe River are breathtaking and the game viewing (Shomi, our guide) was exceptional with the famous Chobe elephants, lions and sable among the highlights. Don't delay, book today!

Room Tip: We had room 5 but am sure any of the suites would give great satisfaction.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
AfricaAlbidaTourism, Manager at Ngoma Safari Lodge, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
We are inspired and delighted, thank you to you in The Isle of Man for this fabulous review. You gave every aspect 5 stars to really reflect that great satisfaction and our team is very proud. You will have experienced our brand new "refresh and relax" pools at each of the eight stand-alone suites and we would urge those perusing Trip Advisor to look at our new profile photo and some of the latest guest photos that dramatically show these new additions to the luxury of life on safari at Ngoma.

Mina
Ngoma Manager
Javea, Spain
Reviewed May 5, 2013

We have a short list of hotels/lodges in the world that we would love to come back to again and this is now on that list. We were there 3 nights in early April 2013 and couldn't fault the 5* plus treatment from acting manager Cathy and all the staff. The location, views, accommodation, food, service etc were amazing.
The day long Cholbe River and game park trip was brilliant - so well organised and so much to see.
This place is a gem.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
AfricaAlbidaTourism, Manager at Ngoma Safari Lodge, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
We are very proud and honored that you should rank Ngoma Safari Lodge on your short list of lodges/hotels you would love to re-visit. Thank you John and our warmest African greetings to you in Spain.

May we give you a little advice for a return visit? Every month has many glorious advantages and benefits in the remoteness of the Chobe Park, but for us the single most exhilarating month is September. This must rank as among the planet's finest wildlife sightings because the rains end in April and don't start again until mid-November, so by September (when it is nice and warm but not too hot) all the animals congregate at the river and safaris by boat and by land are even more spectacular. One guest swears he saw 1,000 elephants on one game cruise and we, who live here, know that often to be true in September.

There have been exciting times here and we have even had two prides of lions come up to drink out of the suite splash pools very early in the mornings.

Gavin & Mina
#6 of 26 in Kasane
Kwalape Safari Lodge
Kwalape Safari Lodge
#20 of 20 in Chobe National Park

Been to Ngoma Safari Lodge? Share your experiences!