“Good for the money but know that it's a budget safari”
Review of Livingstone Trails

Livingstone Trails
Reviewed October 20, 2011

Just returned after a 12 day Okavango Delta/Chobe/Vic Falls trip and had a great time. But there are some things I wish I knew before I went, so I decided to write a review. I was also a little freaked out by the reviews on here and had a hard time figuring out what was valid. I'll split it up into pros and cons:

-good value for the money
-the tents and vans were actually in better working order than I was expecting
-both guides Lloyd and David were excellent- knowledgeable, friendly, cooked good hot meals for dinner
-had a GREAT trip and no major issues- loved the places we went and things we did
-they warn you that this is a "participation" budget safari but all you do is put up your tents and help with dishes- really not a big deal. otherwise the guide does it all
-the majority of the people we met were nice and fun (age ranges from 20's to 40's)
- small groups were a plus (6 people and then 8). when you see some of the big overland trucks with 30 people you really appreciate that you're not on it!

- didn't know that it wasn't one 12 day tour, but rather two different segments (Okavango Delta / Chobe & Vic Falls). All of their tours are really 3-5 day segments that you can mix and match. This means that it was actually 2 separate tours with two different tour guides and two different groups of people. The negative is that in order to drop people off and get new ones, you can end up spending a day or two of wasted time backtracking or meeting up. That was a little annoying, especially since they didn't make it clear from the start. And had we known they were segments, we likely would have added on a 4 day Kruger trip (but didn't realize that this was an option)
-in Vic Falls you should be prepared to spend a few hundred dollars on activities because there's not much that's included in the tour and you're there for 3 days.

All in it was a great trip and a good value for the money. I talked to some other folks along the way on other operators' trips and it seems like they were all comparable and each of us was satisfied with our own tour.

8  Thank Julie G

Reviewed October 5, 2011

My husband and I just got back from a 10 day safari with Livingstone Trails. We had a fantastic time. I was concerned at first after reading some of the reviews, but it was better than I expected. The trip was exactly as advertised. Some of the negative reviews blamed Livingstone Trails for things that were not their responsiblilty. Passport and Visa issues are the responsibility of the traveler. Also, you are booking a budget trip so you won't be staying at the Hilton. Some of the roads are rough and there are long drives, but that is to be expected.
This is a wonderful budget trip.

6  Thank khufu2009
Reviewed June 9, 2011

I actually went on this tour last May 2010 and had the most amazing time of my life. David was out tour guide. He made the trip what it was. The group I traveled with was fun and interesting as well. I think thats what made the whole experience. Everyone helped cleaning, cooking, dished, packing up, and unpacking together. When living and working together with a group of fun people for 2+ weeks you get really close.
Aside from the whole social experience, the tour was and adventure itself. Everything was planned perfectly with a couple of improvisions in the plans. This is what made the adventure as well. (Getting stuck at elephant sands, loosing a tire, being lost on the way to the delta, trying to find my way back to my tent after a long night of drinking)
I def reccoment this tour to anyone!!! Make sure you have either Andre or David as your main guides. These are the two people that stand out the most and will create the most enjoyable experience you can have. Also if you dont like to pick up after yourself, get up early, set up tents, stay on the move, or be sociable, then dont book this tour and stay home!!!
The fist time you see the wild animals on the game drive you will get goosebumps I promise!! Cheers people!!

6  Thank creeser10
Reviewed April 1, 2011

I was unfortunate enough to be involved in an accident (the driver fell asleep) in a Livingstone Trails tour bus. Accidents do happen, but their response was terrible. It was over 6 hours after the accident before any member of the company even tried to track the passengers from the accident, and even then, it was the understandably traumatised driver rather than a company representative who could do anything for them. Post accident, they have refused to communicate at all around hospital fees, etc. I would strongly recommend you avoid them.

9  Thank Sundayschild073