“Absolutely amazing!”

andBeyond Savute Under Canvas
Alberta/British Columbia
“Absolutely amazing!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2011

With every passing week I am more aware of what an incredible unforgettable experience this was. (My trip was actually in 2009 but I love it more and more) To think that the camp is required to move every 5 days and they are able to set up flushable toilets, heated water, comfortable king beds with luxurious bedding and then prepare delicious food and try to anticipate and stock anything you might want - in plus 40 degree celsius heat. This truly felt like a safari - obviously you are subject to the dryness or the wetness of the weather and a "lawn" cannot be put in for you. This all added to the adventure. Adventure in tremendous comfort and with delightful "hosts". I will never forget it.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
5 Thank lpayne

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Oberfeulen
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2010

I don't know what people do expect, being in the wild, so close to wildlife and nature. This is one of the best experiences you can have. Amazing, how it is possible to put such amazing food on table in these conditions. The staff is very polite and help you where ever they can. We learned so much from Pat, our guide. We are so happy that we chose this camp !!!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank brentener
rome
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2010

Spent 2 nights in August 2010. The organization is good but no running water, no wildlife and always the same activities. Staff nice and friendly.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank berarde
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2010

Awesome, awesome, awesome. Quite simply the most beautiful place in the world.

Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
SURREY
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2009

My husband and I were recommended a 2 night stay here, we so wish we had not bothered. Being frequent users of cc Africa/& beyond lodges we had high hopes.
The atmosphere from the start created by the camp manager Sam put you ill at ease. Out tent had massive holes which allowed every bug inside the tent, will no nets we stayed awake the whole night as stag beatles, spiders, praying mantis and stick insects fell onto our faces and pillow. On reporting tghis to the manager Sam, he laughed in our face! He said someone would "later" sew up the holes, this was never done, so we had to demand another tent.
The staff spent most of the time asleep and I had to go into the kitchen to ask for a drink as they had run out of every drink apart fom ginger ale and water and tonic water(remembering this is all inclusive!). I waited 3 hours for a drink that never came in 38 degree heat under a dirty,dusty tent. tea was available but never any milk.
The drivers Pat and Morgan were lovely but what chance did they stand against the most unorganised camp around.
there was no tea in your room as was advertised, hot water was never available ion request and no offer of laundry......infact no offer of anything.
The camp manager does obviously not enjoy his job and creates the most uncomfortable atmosphere. He was lazy, always sitting down and never talking when he could be mingling and introducing new guests who stood idle and ill at ease.
This camp was the biggest waste of money as compared to many of the well run camps by & beyond I can't understand how they are allowing this camp on their portflio, it really lets them down.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank CATWOMAN10
SamanthaOnSafari, Guest Relations at andBeyond Savute Under Canvas, responded to this review, November 19, 2009
Dear Catwoman10,

“Oh my word – I am horrified”!

Whenever I open Trip Advisor I am always excited to read the reviews! Well, as you can imagine I was devastated when I read your posting on your recent experience at Savute Under Canvas! I am so sorry that we let you down so badly. There is no excuse for your negative experience - as a frequent guest at our lodges you will know that this is not up to the standards we set for ourselves. We continuously receive emails from guests who tell us of their fantastic experiences at this camp. Reading your review however tells a different story and believe me, we take all feedback extremely seriously. I can assure you that each and every point you have raised will be fixed fast!
It saddens me to know that there is someone out there in the world who was not blown away by their &Beyond experience. Once again, I am truly sorry and I do hope that you find it in your heart to forgive us – we would love to be given the opportunity to welcome you back and show you what you experienced is not the norm.

A very apologetic,
Sam On Safari
United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2009

We arrived at Savute with high hopes given the pictures and description from the &Beyond website and materials
the description is not close to accurate - after being there you think they must be describing another place. It is dirty, dusty - where the tents are set up - ZERO privacy - tent openings all open to small comman area used as car park, turnaround dining tent.
You drag your feet through the sand - not a blade of grass in sight - as the marketing materials picture. There is no 'living room' tent for a drink or to sit down - all there is a table under a small tent - where you eat - NOTHING ELSE - so you are stuck in this camp with the dust, the food is at best okay - breakfast is cold cereal - corn flakes, and bran flakes - dead bees all through the corn flakes - all the mornings we were there - no fresh fruit, no granola - nothing else. The staff - is ill trained - no one seems to be in charge, no communication - uniforms dirty - SOOO poorly run.

I do not know how this company can charge their rates for an experience like this.
Having been to other CCAfrica and &Beyond camps - they are ruining their reputation even having a camp like this.

I will never go to another camp like this - THERE ARE SOOO MANY BETTER ONES
Do not ruin your time in Africa with this place.
As one honeymooing couple said to some other just arriving guests - asking how her time had been, "nightmare" - it is the only way to describe
I feel so bad for every honeymooing couple who gets douped into booking this place.
All the other guests were saying over and over during drinks - how could they be booked here, maoning over what they had paid, and what a miserable - dusty sandy place it is.

Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
3 Thank Itravelexperience
SamanthaOnSafari, Guest Relations at andBeyond Savute Under Canvas, responded to this review, October 7, 2009
Mortified that Savute Under Canvas did not live up to your expectations.

Hello Itravelexperience,

Apologies for the late post, I just figured out how to do this. Thank you for your review which I must say was a pretty tough one to swallow, I am so sorry it was such a let down. We so hate disappointing guests! Usually guests who choose this option of camping, do so to experience a taste of elegant comfortable camping, close to nature and in the heart of the African Bush, without having to embark on a full mobile Expedition. This way our guests easily combine two nights of camping with two nights in one of our luxury lodges in the Delta.

Camping can be tough going in the heat and dust, it is not a permanent camp, it moves every four or 5 days. We camp in private campsites but are limited by the size of the camp sites, hence the tents being close together. Saying that – there really is no excuse for mediocre food, dirty uniforms or a poorly run camp. My heartfelt apologies.

You will be happy to know that after reading your review we investigated what could possibly have gone wrong, changed some of the staff and I assure you that any hiccups there had been, were fixed fast!. After your posting guests that have travelled to Savute Under Canvas have come back delighted. Hopefully you give it a second chance at some stage – we would love to have you back!
Wiltshire UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2008

This is a CC Africa camp. We stayed 3 nights and then the camp was being moved to another camp site. It was fantastic - all the staff were happy, smiley, friendly people. The food was amazing - how do they manage such style on a camp fire?! Tea is brought to your tent in the morning and hot water bottles are put in your gorgeous double bed before you retire for the evening. Guides all excellent. What more can I say - perfect - would go again without hesitation. Tent has a bedroom and ensuite bathroom. Hot water provided in the bucket shower and hot water brought via the back door by the staff in the morning before you go off on your morning game drive. Great sundowners, fantastic sunsets, back by 6.30 as it is a National Park but still other companies are few and far between. That's the beauty of Botswana.

• Liked — Exceeded all expectations
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank Rome_at_Easter