“Unprofessional Captain” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Captain Whittaker 65' Fishing Boat

Captain Whittaker 65' Fishing Boat
Ranked #1 of 13 things to do in Babylon
More attraction details
Owner description: Cruise Fishing on the Captain Whittaker, A Best Day of Your Summer! Fishing, Relaxing, Breathing the Ocean Air. A Special Time for All; Fisherman to Families Welcome. 65' Open to the Public Fishing Boat Sails Daily at 9am and 2pm for Fluke in the calmer waters of the Great South Bay. The 2pm trip is a shorter 3 hour cruise geared to first time fisherman and families. Give it a try, a great afternoon in the summer.
Nesconset, NY
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Unprofessional Captain”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2014

So, 2 weeks prior to fathers day I called the Captain Whittaker out of Captree, to see if they took reservations for Fathers Day. I spoke with the captain, RICK. He told me that I could make a reservation and took my reservation for 5 people. He informed me that as long as 1 person from my party was there by 8:30 am for the 9 am trip we would have no problem.. He said he was writing my name down and that "I was in". (As per his website it also states to arrive at 8:30 for the 9:00 trip) My parents (80 years old) arrived at 8:10 am and RICK advised that the boat was FULL!?? WHAT??
When I arrived at 8:25 I asked to speak with RICK. I refreshed his memory of our conversation and he rudely said to me "the boat is full, have a nice day" and walked away. Again... WHAT?? That is how you speak with customers? That is how you run your business? We quickly got on the line for the FISHFINDER II BOAT (FANTASTIC EXPERIENCE) and found MANY other people who had the same situation with the Whittaker. All with reservations and some of them had already paid on line. I also want to mention that even if they allowed us on the boat I do not think I would have went, It appeared that RICK and his crew PACKED the boat with what looked like double the amount of allowed passengers. (Even though I do not know for certain the amount allowed on his boat) The best thing that came out of this entire experience is that we ended up going out on the FISHFINDER II out of Captree which was an OUTSTANDING experience Captain Walter and his entire crew were professional, respectful and lot of fun, along with a huge concern for safety for every passenger on the boat the entire time on the water. So thank you to the Whittaker for your lack of professionalism, we had a GREAT TIME ON THE FISHFINDER 2!!!!!
Bottom line, stay away from the Whittaker it is clear that Captain Ricks main focus is not on servicing their customers or by honoring reservations first; its about the money!

9 Thank Cristine D
CaptWhittaker, Owner at Captain Whittaker 65' Fishing Boat, responded to this review, July 10, 2014
Ma'am, the captains of the boats here at Captree are all just a bunch of guys looking to show people a great time on the water. The captain of the boat that was able to accommodate your party and I have been friends for decades. I told him how much I appreciated him fitting you in on perhaps our busiest day of the year and will hopefully repay him the favor one day. We here at the Captain Whittaker welcome you back anytime. Sincerely, Capt. Rick.

Castine, Maine
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“First fish”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2014

I took my 3-year-old on the Whittaker. He caught his first fish and had a great time. The crew was very helpful and attentive. I would definitely go again.

Visited August 2013
2 Thank Doug R
Lindenhurst
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Best Boat”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2014

The Whittaker is a great boat to take a family on a fishing excursion. We went on the 2-5 p.m. trip which is about the right (length) for youngsters.

The fishing was great and the filets we took home was icing on the cake.

Capt. Rick and his crew are the best!

We will back!!!

Visited July 2014
2 Thank Bud F
Woodbury, New York
“Great Trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2014

I went out with my two kids and wife. The staff was unbelievably helpful and nice. They catered to our every need. Although between the four of us, we only caught one fish, we still had a blast. Totally kid friendly. Captress it beautiful. Boat was very clean. Captain was really nice as well. He let my kids sit up with him while Rick was driving the boat. I would definitely recommend for relaxing family fun. I'm probably going to go out again this weekend. Great job guys.

Babylon, New York
“A Great Boat”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2014

We took our family out for the 2-5 trip.
What an awesome time, the crew was polite, always ready to bait a hook, land a fish or just to talk. Captain Rick was more than was happy to have visitors up to the wheelhouse, explaining how the boat operates in a down-to-earth manner.
The boat is spotless and well kept, you can tell the crew has a real pride in the boat.
Great boat, great crew!