“Indian Michelangelo”
Review of Spanish Church

Ranked #3 of 7 things to do in Zuni
More attraction details
Owner description: Church decorated with elaborate murals depicting traditional Zuni dancers.
Reviewed April 3, 2014

The first time we went to tour this mission, it was closed for the burial of the artist. We returned over 2 weeks later, and it had not yet been opened for tours, but the lady at the visitors' center allowed us to tour it. What a relief that was! The murals are magnificent and you should not miss a chance to see them. The pueblo apparently does not value them as it should though, as there are already two good-sized areas where the stucco has fallen off from the murals and no plans to fix them. Not even when he was alive and could do it himself. I don't understand that. No pictures are allowed. I just hope someone somewhere made good prints of them, or they will be gone entirely some day.

3  Thank yearbook1

Reviewed October 8, 2013

We were privileged to have the artist of the Kachina figures in the church be our inside guide. Life sized figures of Kachina dancers dominate the walls. The building is no longer used for Catholic services, but Catholic art and symbolism share space with the Zuni traditions. If you are able, have Ken Seowtewa be your host as he explains in detail what each figure represents. He will also give a history of art that began with his father.

The exterior of the building is a photographer's delight because it is so traditional. Pictures are permitted of church and cemetery (I mention cemetery because Acoma's Sky City does not permit photos of its cemetery). The building in Zuni is not in good repair and the cemetery is weed filled. Unfortunately interior pictures within the church are not permitted. A photo permit for Zuni is required but is only $5.

1  Thank Chris L
Reviewed April 26, 2013

My family and I visited the Zuni reservation for the purpose of visiting this church in order to view the wall paintings. We took a tour of the church along with a tour of pueblo. The artwork found inside this old church is simply beautiful! I would have loved to take photos, but it isn't allowed. So, I have to settle with just my memories. I will say that the Zuni are known for their Ketchina dolls (which are breathtaking) and the paintings are different Ketchinas representing religious figures. Our tour guide, however, was very hush-hush about any details of each of them.

I would certainly recommend taking a tour of the church if you're in the area. Also, purchase a ketchina doll or some of their other art. It really is incredible! I wish I had purchased more.

2  Thank GwenP
Reviewed June 21, 2012

Authenticty. Although not allowed in as tours were cancelled due to summer solstice religious observance, was able to see the exteriour and cemetery ground in front. Dates from the Spanish conquest. Apparently well maintained.

Reviewed February 20, 2012

The Visitor's center has great tours, including the Zuni artwork and history of the the Spanish church. Some tours need to be scheduled a few days ahead.

Been to Spanish Church? Share your experiences!