“Extraordinary”
Review of Chloride

Chloride
Ranked #1 of 3 things to do in Winston
Reviewed July 14, 2013

The current owners have spent years cleaning up the General Store which had been locked up and left with all the goods for sale still inside. It is now a walk back in time to when this was a thriving town with many bars and no church! It's worth a stop if you are in the area.

1  Thank Martin S
in 22 reviews
"mines"
"artifacts"

Reviewed June 2, 2013

Just 28 miles from Elephant Butte and very much worth the time. The Pioneer Store is a treasure chest at the end of the road over 90% of the items are orginal from when the store closed down in 1909. There is items I have never seen before. Ask about the boom box, the first laptop, and the credit system.
The owners of the Pioneer store are invaluable source of information about the items in the muesum and history of the area. They have a love for the town that is contagious.
There is a nice place to picnic and clean bathrooms.
We went to end of town and drove a liitle way up the forest road and did some hiking. Canyon wall facings were very beautiful. Do not recommend driving through if you don't have tires that can handle rocky areas. We drove in about two miles and hiked from there.
Bring water and soap to wash hands, or hand santizer.
VERY WORTH the time my kids had no cell phone reception. Donations are welcome!

2  Thank cola79912
Reviewed May 28, 2013

The family that owns the 'downtown' of Chloride has lovingly restored the old General Store into a museum. When they took the boards off, all the items of the day was still there...under bat poop, but still complete. Really gives a complete 'feel' of the era. Next door, the dance hall is a 'local area artists' gift shop with some amazing stuff. There is also the renovated cabin of the man who discovered silver and a small but very nice campground. They are also converting the bank into a resturant. We will return, plan on at least an hour for the general store!

Reviewed April 22, 2013

I drive my husband crazy when we go out West because I love Ghost Towns so I always have a few of them mapped out for us to visit. Some are worth the visit and some aren't.

Since Chloride in a bit out of the way, my opinion is see it if you are into Ghost Towns otherwise keeping on driving.

The Pioneer Store Museum is fantastic !!!!! That alone makes Choride worth the visit. The store was bought and restored by a retired couple and everything inside is original. They did an amazing job. In fact, she saw us outside and came over and opened it up for us and told us all about the store and how they came to own it.

There are actually lots of original buildings left in Chloride. There is a brochure that you can pick up that gives the history of the town and sort of a walking tour that tells what the buildings were. All of the buildings are privately owned so you have to be careful not to trespass and invade their privacy. Having said that, the problem is that they don't really make you feel all that welcome. I was taking pictures of one really old house and even though I was not on the property I was told by at least 2 different people that the family still lives in town and they don't like it when people take pictures of the house. My husband actually thought that the people were kind of creepy which, in our experience, is not uncommon when visiting some ghost towns.

This was the second ghost town that I visited that day. The other one which I am hoping that TripAdvisor lets me review is Lake Valley.

So is Chloride worth a visit? I think that I will let you decide.

2  Thank zippy608