White's City Cavern Inn
$354
CandlewoodSuites
Econo Lodge(Carlsbad)
$159
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed May 4, 2010

After reading the horrible reviews, we decided that for one night we could tolerate any shortfalls. The office is across the street and only one man was on duty, but we had no problems with the room - at all. It was clean, large, and appeared newly redecorated.
The lack of staff and attendants may probably be due to the fact that is was 'off season'.
In the morning, we had breakfast in the cafe and the attendant told us that there are new owners who are trying to fix up the properties.
Breakfast was fine, too. The cafe was clean and tidy, but unfortunately we did not get to try the Steakhouse (arrived late, left early)
There is a lot of 'curb appeal' that needs done, but our room had new carpet, clean linens and the bed was quite comfortable. The pool is undergoing renovations and the gift shop was open, but we did not go in.
As for a previous complaint that they had no room service, most motels we have stayed at do not provide room service.
Hopefully, the new owers will proceed with their renovations and the property will thrive.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank danelainek
Reviewed April 21, 2010

the only reason we stayed at this place was to see the carlsbad caverns...there was only one attendant at the hotel, non-existent room service and the worst part was the rooms they gave us were unmade!! had to go back and forth twice across the street to the receptionist's because he was alone and had to stay at his post so he could not help us! the frurnishings were old and the toilet had no flush!! it was a horrible stay!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Cyan501
Reviewed February 6, 2010

Terrible experience and Ripped off! Arrived too late for the cave and stopped here to stay the night. They were all to happy to take my money and send me off to a room in a hotel that was across the street. This hotel (across the street) looked abandoned and as we entered our room, it was freezing cold (about 20-30 deg). We turned on the heat to find out it was barely working and not producing any heat (I think just the fan was running). Then we discovered the there was no water either! We notified them and they remarked that THEY ALREADY KNEW this!!!! I would have been nice of them to disclose this before renting us the room. We ended up leaving and they refused to refund our money saying that they don't have to refund for "inconveniences" such as no heat and no running water. We ended up driving into town for a hotel with heat and running water.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
8  Thank Airfoil
Reviewed November 13, 2009

I took my Girl Scout troop to Carlsbad this summer. We requested adjoining rooms and permission to have extra people in the room so we could all be in the two rooms together - that part was fine.

The registration process took forever which was annoying with 9 ansty girls who just had a 3 hour drive, but we survived. We can't all be rocket scientists I guess.

Our stay was ok - water was lukewarm, the carpets are not exactly clean, the water park is so run down it's pitiful.

But the part that makes me furious happened after our stay. My daughter had taken a cloth bag with little toy aliens she had collected to play with the other girls. In the hullaballoo of getting all the girls and all their stuff out, she forgot it. Her fault, I know, but she's a kid. We called the hotel later that day when we discovered it and the desk clerk called housekeeping and yes they had found it. Excellent! I was excited they'd really looked. I gave my address and told them to charge the credit card I'd used for the room to pay for shipping them to us. A week later they hadn't arrived so we called again - I got a "manager" who said she'd look into it when that staff person came in and call me back at 3:00 that day. She never called. I called again and she didn't take my call.

In the end, my daughter didn't get her toys back that we KNOW they had found. The worst part is that they lied about it and then wouldn't take my calls. With that kind of customer service I would not recommend anyone go there.

• Stayed: June 2009
9  Thank Staros
Reviewed November 11, 2009

Where to start !

Location is superb, immediately outside Carlsbad Caverns.
End of the good news.

Read on, but stay away...
We called ahead and asked about which of the two lodging options then on their website were best for us. I was told that one was totally booked for 12 months by an oil concern so we booked the other. I also asked whether their pool/water park would be open and they stated that it would depend on the weather as this was a mid-March trip. I called twice and both times the folks on the phone were extremely helpful and nice.

However, when we arrived, no more than two weeks later, we could easily see that the one lodging option that was supposedly booked by the oil concern had been gutted by fire and segregated off by a chain link fence that had been there so long it was rusting away in place. Certainly this had happened long ago. We also saw that the pool/waterpark was closed and dry. Upon inquiry we were told that it was closed to be brought into compliance with a "new state regulation" that was "very involved". When we got to our next hotel, Inn of the Governors, a 4-5 star in Santa Fe, they informed us that there was no such "new state regulation".

The parking lot had recently been blacktopped and was very nice. The building clearly showed it's age, concrete on the stairs was chipped out and missing. The room was dismal dark, and dank. Although how you can be dank in a desert is still a mystery. This is a poor quality, a one star kind of place. The sink and tub drains did not work. The hot water went from ice cold to scalding hot with no notice, and this was with an essentially empty hotel, so it presumably wasn't others turning the water on and off.

One couple we met the next morning stated that their tub didn't meet up against the wall and the drain actually drained to the floor so that they flooded their room before they could stop the water. They stated that they did what they could to clean it up, but in the end decided just to walk away.

Now the restaurant. There were two options. One was a sit down kind of place, old and run down. The lights were not on and presumably didn't work, we could barely read the menu. The menu was all steaks and potatoes starting at about $25 a plate as memory serves. We went to the other side of the kitchen and went to the more family friendly diner type of place next door.

We were actually lucky, our food came out slowly, but it did arrive. Food quality was exceedingly poor, but it was edible, just barely. Cost was amusement park level expensive.

We watched the staff and just had to enjoy the show. There were a total of 5 tables being served. One poor table ordered just before we did, we overhead their order and saw their order come out and sit under the warming lights for the entire time we were eating and it was still there when we left. Watching the staff was like watching the keystone cops. Even when that poor table told the staff to look under the warming lights they could not get their dinner served. It was indeed quite a show.

I think that Mr. White, after whom White's City is named must be turning over in his grave.

A truely awesomely bad experience.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family