“YUCK!” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Whites City
San Diego, California
“YUCK!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2011

Yuck! The sheets on the bed had not been changed. There were hairs on the pillow cases & on the sheets.
We booked this hotel because of the location.
They charged us $20 more than clean hotels up the road.
Spend an extra 15 minutes on the road & stay far away from this place.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank kofekat

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2011

After reading the poor reviews of the Rodeway Inn, Whites City, New Mexico, I hesitated to make reservations. I planned a three day weekend to hike to Guadalupe Peak and due to its close proximity, I decided to stay at the Inn. I must have had a renovated room, because it was spacious, clean and very comfortable.

The coffee maker worked, and housekeeping left two packets of regular coffee, as I requested. I found the staff to be very friendly. Since I wanted to reach the trailhead to Guadalupe Peak by sunrise, I passed on the poorly reviewed continental breakfast offered at 7:00 a.m. Being the third weekend in January, it was cold outside; however, I felt the room was well heated. I will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
Denver
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2010

I really don’t like to write a bad review when I can see that the new owners and management are going a great job of improving the entire White City facility. However, there is a serious problem with the hotel room heating units that made our first night so cold that I thought I was camping indoors. The problem is that the heating units have been retrofitted with new heating elements that far exceed the inadequate fan capacity…so the heaters overheat and activating the thermal switch turning off the heat…so basically the heat is only on about a third of the time so it takes about a day to warm a second floor room. In summary, this hotel has a great location to the National Park, friendly and helpful staff, great new owners and management…but request a ground floor room if you want to stay warm in the winter.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Whites City hotels

Highland Park, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2010

Our debate about where to overnite, here or Carlsbad, was resolved with our opting for the nearer proximity to the caverns. Glad we did. We arrived just in time for the bat flight and beat the morning rush. Bare bones accomodations but we came for what far exceeded our expectations- the magnificent and surreal Carlsbad Caverns.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, Alabama
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2010

When we checked in, the front desk person said this was the last room available (at $85--the most we spent on a motel for our two week trip from Alabama). The jacuzzi did not work, the coffee pot did not work, the "breakfast" was a packaged sweet roll, the ice machine did not work. There were 11 cars in the parking lot (so much for being the last room available). When we reported the coffee pot, the front desk said they would send someone with one that would work. An hour or so later (when we checked out), no coffee pot and the desk clerk expressed surprise. This motel was certainly not value for money.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank vb555
Lockhart, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2010

here is my letter to choice hotels. i believe it says it all....
"On Thursday July 22, 2010, my husband and I visited the Carlsbad area. Since we try to stay in a Choice Hotel when we travel and we would be visiting Carlsbad National Park we decided to reserve a room in White City as it rather close to the Park. We were given room 245. Please know that this summer and we were in New Mexico. It is hot here in the southern border states in the summer.

I called the front desk to inform them that not only was the TV remote not working but the air conditioner was not working and the people next door have a small child (sounds like toddler) who is very very loud. The woman at the front desk said that there was really nothing she could do as far as the air conditioner as all of the rooms are full. However, she did say that she would call next door and inform the people that they were too loud. I believe she did because it got quite pretty quick. She did not address the TV remote. However the remote was a very small thing, insignificant compared to the a/c not working. I had to drive into Carlsbad to Wal-Mart to buy a box fan because the room was uncomfortable.
After thinking about the above, I did my own little investigation to find this hotel was NOT booked up. How do i know this?? 1) The parking lot was not even half full at 2am….fyi, at 2am it was cooler outside then it was in the room. 2) I checked online to see if the hotel was booked up...it was not. 3) See next paragraph.
Upon checking out there was a gentleman at the desk when I went to turn in the keys. He saw that I was visibly upset. I told him all of the above. When I got to the part about the desk clerk telling me that they were all booked up, he shook his head in what seemed to be disbelief and said no, that they were not booked up. Although the clerk was gracious enough to discount the room by 20% and credit me the $15 that I paid for the box fan at Wal-Mart, I feel the +$60 that I did end up paying was still a slap in the face. He said that the 20% was the most he could discount and the owner would not be in for at least another hour. At this point I just wanted to leave the place and get out of there, which we did.
Lastly, since when does the Choice Hotel “Continental Breakfast” consist of NOTHING but Little Debbie Snack Cakes and barely cool milk? My husband was dumbfounded and speechless about this as he is diabetic. I am sure that there are many Choice Hotel personnel there in your main offices that have at least one close relative that has diabetes. I am sure they would be just as appalled. Little Debbie is a dessert….I have never known it to be part of any good balanced breakfast. An “Oatmeal Cream Pie” does NOT count as a bowl of oatmeal nor does an “Apple Flip” count as a serving of fruit! This was the most shameful continental breakfast I have ever seen.
I have stayed in Choice Hotels frequently and was so very disappointed this time around. I hope you are able to do some sort of surprise visit/inspection immediately on this location. Thank you for your time,"
i really thought that since it is the closest to the caverns that it must be a nice spot...WRONG!! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED PEOPLE!! i just wished i would have known about tripadvisor BEFORE we went on vacation. i would have been ok w/ staying in carlsbad.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank garjonegal
Branson, Missouri
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2010

We ere unfortunate that this was where we were booked as was close to Carlsbad Caverns so we allowed ourselves to be booked there instad of Comfort Inn(our usuale preference because they have great mattresses). At any rate--most unfriendly receptionist at check-in and things only got worse from there. Dirty -bug/spider infested room. Wife got two spider bites with log-lasting effects. Grounds terrible shape. Advise anyone wanting to go to Carlsbad Caverns to stay in Carlsbad and drive to Caverns (They are amazing!!)

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
TownePlace Suites Carlsbad
TownePlace Suites Carlsbad
#4 of 22 in Carlsbad
Candlewood Suites Carlsbad South Hotel

Been to Rodeway Inn? Share your experiences!