“Stay in Carlsbad!!!!!!!”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Whites City
ft. worth
“Stay in Carlsbad!!!!!!!”
Reviewed April 19, 2010

What a terrible ordeal! It took us 45 minutes to check in. The manager was a poor befuddled person who had such a hard time getting our information down. We got two rooms for 4 adults........the first room's shower would not work, so we had to reload and walk back acorss the street to the mgr. and get a another room. The second room had had no A/C and the room temp was mid 70's and very stuffy. So, we made the hike back across the road to the mgr and got another room. Back across the street the motel and guess what, the A/C didn't work in this room either, nor the hair dryer. This was the last room available. We checked out the next morning and cancelled our second night and moved back down to Carlsbad at a great place---that was even less expensive! Imagine that. It was a comedy of errors from the start.
Too, the mgr. HIGHLY recommended the restaurant next door.......it was the worst experience ever! They had nothing that you ordered, it took forever and they even lost our order after waiting nearly an hour. We left.......not good memories of Carlsbad Caverns, one of my favorite places on the planet.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank texastraveller2010

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
United States
Reviewed April 17, 2010

The negatives: White's City is not a real city. It's three motels and a couple of old shops owned by one company on a single road. Being in the middle of absolutely nowhere, they have no competition (nor incentive) to provide anything remotely resembling quality service.
When you arrive on this street, you may have no idea at all where the hotel lobby is. I drove round and round and round the three motels, trying to figure out where on earth to check in! Finally I gave up, headed across the street to the saloon shop and realized THAT was the check-in. Later on, I saw another couple doing the same thing, so I directed them across the street. So if you are adamant about staying on the busted-down street, go straight to the saloon where you see a big, wooden grizzly bear.
Next, I couldn't put into words what happened; I shall try. Have you ever seen that movie with Will Smith, where the people are zombies and can only come out at night? When I was unpacking at sundown and moving my things into my room - these inhuman howls and shouting and whining began. I COULD NOT EVEN BEGIN TO TELL YOU where on earth it was coming from. Instinctively I knew this was not normal and meant to scare me. Well, it did. Then a couple of locals began walking between my car and my hotel room (I could see them through the peep hole) and the yelling, cursing, howling man continued on for a good hour. Seriously, I almost bolted and went so far as to repack my car and drive across the street to the saloon area to calm down and get my head together.
Well, I returned to my empty hotel and finally, that crazy zombie yeller was out in the parking lot talking with another guy, both of whom owned big trucks. I gathered that they worked at the nearby caverns. Why the strange behavior? I mean, just insane behavior??? I figured boredom, combined with a sense of wanting to "own" the place; having stayed there so long.
Eventually other cars began to arrive in the darkness and I felt a lot safer. If anyone reads this review, I would love to hear what you would have done if you encountered such bizarre behavior from the locals. I stayed here because white city is closer to the caverns than carlsbad is, but I would stay in carlsbad, where it feels WAY safer, next time.
Positives: This little fake town IS right on the gates of the park entrance. Still, you will drive a good 15 miles inside the park the next morning, but it's a pretty drive.
Upstairs on the balcony, you can see for miles and miles out into the night . . . there are so few cars coming up the winding road from the Guadalupe Mountains and the Texas border that you can watch their approaching headlights for a good 20 or 25 miles before they drive past
. Last, I got to see a large white fox pass right under the balcony where I stood, along with a couple of raccoons scampering about. If you like nature, this place will not disappoint. You just have to have nerves of steel to deal with the other wildlife: the locals.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank Forgottensage

Travelers are raving about these Whites City hotels

Plano TX
Reviewed January 9, 2010

Our friends booked it. They don't know TripAdivsor... When reading the reviews I was waiting for the worst. We were surprised. The staff was nice, and helpful, the folding bed we asked for arrived promptly. The reception girl was pleasant. And the room was fine. No, it's not a Hilton, but for the 80$ a night in a prime location for a Guadalupe mountain vacation, it's is very reasonable. Carlsbad is really close by, and the variety of motels there is significant, but if you feel like getting closer to the park and cave, this is a reasonable option. Just don't come with high expectation but for sure we can do this again.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed October 19, 2009

First unsure to make a reservation because of the previous reviews but afterwards lucky that we did and positively surprised!

First of all, White’s City is a very convenient location to visit Carlsbad Caverns and Guadalupe Mountains National Parks. We were accommodated in Walnut Inn. The room was spacious and very quiet and clean. The restaurant was very good. The salad bar had a variety of stuff to choose from and the meals were delicious. The staff of motel and restaurant were very friendly. Furthermore, the premises was well tended.
We were very glad we decided to stay in White’s City and we would definitively stay there again.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed October 19, 2009

White’s City is a great location to reach both National Parks Carlsbad Caverns and Guadalupe Mountains. We stayed in Walnut Inn. The room was spacious and absolutely quiet and clean. The staff of the motel was very friendly. The restaurant (JJ’s) was very good and the staff was very friendly as well.
We did not have any of the following problems in the room neither burning holes in the carpet nor non-working lamps nor locks who don't lock properly as mentioned in previous reviews. Be honest, these problems occur in other hotels and motels as well. That’s because the housekeepers (maids) are not very reliable – all over the states. Those things are no reason not to stay in White’s City. There’s no better place to stay for those parks. By the way motels and hotels in Carlsbad don’t have good reviews. White’s City is the foundation place of Carlsbad Caverns. This place has deserved to survive. But all of you travelers have to do your part. Walnut Inn is a motel as good as others in the US.
We were very happy that we stayed in White’s City and we would definitively return.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Wa. State
Reviewed September 12, 2009

I was reluctant to reserve the Walnut Inn due to the terrible reviews I had read. However, since the recent reviews were better, I took the plunge.

My experience was positive, the room was clean and recently (partially) renovated, the check in area was pleasant and the desk clerk was very professional. They still have a lot of work to do to bring the hotel back to 100%, and years of neglect can be seen in lots of places, but it appears that it is definitely on the right track.

My biggest complaint is the bed. The mattresses are very hard, similar to what you would find at a Motel 6 and the linen was rather low quality, or perhaps bought for durability, not comfort.

A nice surprise was the resturant next door, it has a limited menu for dinner, but was very inexpensive and the food and service were both very good. We ate both dinner and breakfast there and both were very good.

All in all, not the kind of place to spend a week, but for a couple of nights while visiting the Caverns, its just fine. Sure beats an hour drive back to Carlsbad after the bat flight.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Spokaneman1949
Cardiff by the sea, CA
Reviewed April 28, 2009

Just returned from a visit to Carlsbad Caverns and a stay at the Walnut Canyon Inn facility at White's City Resorts. The property recently changed hands and is no longer a Best Western . . . and based on the reviews of earlier visitors, this is apparently a good thing. While the place has a definite '70s look and feel, our room had been recently renovated, was clean, extremely spacious (easily twice the size of the Hampton Inn rooms we stayed in for most of our trip), with comfortable bed.

While the "rustic" appearance might be offputting to some - if you want a comfortable place to lay your head, just a few hundred feet from the entrance to Carlsbad Caverns National Park, this is it. For a detailed review, see "carrotseeds" review of the adjacent Cavern Inn (it was undergoing renovations during our visit)

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
U.S. Travelers Inn & Suites
TownePlace Suites Carlsbad
TownePlace Suites Carlsbad
#4 of 22 in Carlsbad

Been to Rodeway Inn? Share your experiences!