“Don't do it”

Copperas Cove, Texas
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Don't do it”
Reviewed March 27, 2013

This place is the last stop before you get to Carlsbad Cavern's, but you'd be better off eating at the park cafeteria. I could summarize by saying it's the sort of place that doesn't have to impress the patrons because they are hungry tourists and won't be back. We walked in and waited to be seated while 2 waitresses discussed something about a ticket. Our waitress seemed extremely rushed, but there were only 3 other tables occupied. The waitress wasn't patient with our kids even though they were, for once, well-behaved. They were out of several items on the menu. The menu stated that my meal came with a salad, but the salad bar was not stocked yet (it was 4pm), and when I asked about that I was told I would receive a side salad. I didn't, and the salad bar was stocked during our meal but I wasn't informed. I received the wrong order, and after I had removed the bun to see if it was the green chile burger I had ordered, the waitress carried it around the corner and then brought it back and handed it to another diner. The food wasn't bad, but then we visited the bathroom. It was horrible, and I'll just leave it at that.

• Visited March 2013

Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Rude, Slow and Dirty”
Reviewed March 17, 2013

We waited almost 15 minutes to be seated then we were seated in a back corner away from all other customers. Took them 15 more minutes to take our drink order, I wanted tea, sorry we are out. We ordered the food at the same time as the drinks kids wanted mac and cheese, sorry they were out of that too and over 40 minutes later we did not have our drinks and food. this is insane when you have kids who ordered a grilled cheese. Tables had not been cleaned up at all in the time we were there, and when we inquired about our food we were told, that they were busy and we would just have to wait. Had it not already been 730 we would have just gone into Carlsbad for dinner!

• Visited March 2013
Lubbock, Texas
“Good food, good service”
Reviewed January 20, 2013

I don't know why the Cactus Cafe is listed as being in the Carlsbad Caverns National Park, instead of White's City. This is just outside the national park, but it IS located in White's City.

I had an overnight trip to Carlsbad and stayed in the nearby Rodeway Inn, this is the closest restaurant to the hotel (maybe the ONLY restaurant).
We were worried about the reviews, but decided to try it anyhow, and ordered the Chicken Fried Steak because it seemed to be the most popular dish. If only we'd known how MUCH food we'd get, we could have split the meal! The steak was huge, mashed taters were generous, and cream gravy all over. We both ordered fried okra (yum!). the salad bar was very unimaginative, just the usual lettuce, carrots, tomatoes. Overall, our meal was very good and our waitress was very friendly.

We went back for breakfast the next morning. I had a breakfast burrito that was DELICIOUS! I recommend this if you eat breakfast here.

I don't know if we got good food and service because we were there in January, the off season, but we enjoyed it. I recommend this place, pricing wasn't too bad; about what we expected 10-15 bucks per person.

We also got a kick from the art on the walls. Be sure and look at the Billy the Kid portrait as you walk in. We sat in the Pat Garrett booth. The decor is campy, but fun. And the 2 stained glass windows in the back was beautiful.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank afmel
Edmonton, Canada
“Poor service mediocre food, understaffed”
Reviewed January 16, 2013

Tried to have supper there, but the waitress, while friendly, was having to do everything herself and couldn't get to me, so I gave up and just had the self serve salad bar. Not that the place was full, there were only about 5 tables with people at them.
Next morning, different staff, service was a better but still slow. Food was poor.
But, there are no other options that I'm aware of. There are some gift shops across the street, maybe you could get a chocolate bar for breakfast.

• Visited October 2012
Atlanta, Georgia
“For Whites City, its a 4.”
Reviewed December 18, 2012

They have food thats pretty cheap and the service is good. Not much selection but they have burgers, hot dogs, and a salad bar. The country fried steak was good and came with mashed potatoes and gravy!! If you are going to be in Whites City as a tourist for a few nights you may want to bring some peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.

1 Thank aprueitt