“Good food, good service”
Review of Cactus Cafe

Cactus Cafe
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Takeout
Reviewed January 20, 2013

I don't know why the Cactus Cafe is listed as being in the Carlsbad Caverns National Park, instead of White's City. This is just outside the national park, but it IS located in White's City.

I had an overnight trip to Carlsbad and stayed in the nearby Rodeway Inn, this is the closest restaurant to the hotel (maybe the ONLY restaurant).
We were worried about the reviews, but decided to try it anyhow, and ordered the Chicken Fried Steak because it seemed to be the most popular dish. If only we'd known how MUCH food we'd get, we could have split the meal! The steak was huge, mashed taters were generous, and cream gravy all over. We both ordered fried okra (yum!). the salad bar was very unimaginative, just the usual lettuce, carrots, tomatoes. Overall, our meal was very good and our waitress was very friendly.

We went back for breakfast the next morning. I had a breakfast burrito that was DELICIOUS! I recommend this if you eat breakfast here.

I don't know if we got good food and service because we were there in January, the off season, but we enjoyed it. I recommend this place, pricing wasn't too bad; about what we expected 10-15 bucks per person.

We also got a kick from the art on the walls. Be sure and look at the Billy the Kid portrait as you walk in. We sat in the Pat Garrett booth. The decor is campy, but fun. And the 2 stained glass windows in the back was beautiful.

1  Thank afmel

Reviewed January 16, 2013

Tried to have supper there, but the waitress, while friendly, was having to do everything herself and couldn't get to me, so I gave up and just had the self serve salad bar. Not that the place was full, there were only about 5 tables with people at them.
Next morning, different staff, service was a better but still slow. Food was poor.
But, there are no other options that I'm aware of. There are some gift shops across the street, maybe you could get a chocolate bar for breakfast.

Reviewed December 18, 2012

They have food thats pretty cheap and the service is good. Not much selection but they have burgers, hot dogs, and a salad bar. The country fried steak was good and came with mashed potatoes and gravy!! If you are going to be in Whites City as a tourist for a few nights you may want to bring some peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.

1  Thank aprueitt
Reviewed November 17, 2012

Tourist trap sums this place up. Greasy fast food, average service and terrible decor. With the previous in mind the prices are just too high for what you get.

Reviewed October 17, 2012

We stopped at noon and there were NO customers except for four men at a bar table. We waited five minutes and were not greeted or seated. While we waited we could see that the restaurant was dirty and outdated, even though the outside seemed to have been renovated recently. AVOID THIS PLACE!