“Very cool eclectic spot with surprisingly wonderful wine”
Review of Black Mesa Winery

Black Mesa Winery
Ranked #2 of 3 things to do in Velarde
New Hampshire
70 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 129 helpful votes
“Very cool eclectic spot with surprisingly wonderful wine”
Reviewed February 6, 2013 via mobile

Worth the stop. The owner was lovely and helpful and did not rush me. I could taste the smokey piñon in the wine. Lovely! Pricey wine but relished my COYOTE red over the week in Taos.

Albuquerque, New Mexico
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Wonderful wine, but...”
Reviewed December 23, 2012 via mobile

The wine here is very tasty and the people are nice. However, I am only giving them two stars for a couple of reasons. One: The owners have a lot of cats who roam around, who are all very cute and sweet. While it is a cute addition to the winery, the proximity of it to the highway makes it a bad place to have pets wandering around. In fact, last time I was there the person at the tasting room said they'd been having trouble with some of their cats getting run over (!!!) If you have pets and you live 20 yards from a busy highway, keep them inside! It just seemed irresponsible. Two: when we were there the room was infested with gnats. There must have been a couple thousand. They were crawling all over the tasting wines. I know they were just attracted to the sugars in the wine and the people that worked there were keeping the door open to get a nice breeze, but no one there even acknowledged it! It was pretty hard not to be a little grossed out by all the dead gnats in my wine. I know that's just a seasonal problem though. Anyway, that's just my two cents. Love the wine!