“Everyone should go to Grootbos!”

Grootbos Private Nature Reserve
Reviewed April 12, 2010

I had high expectations of Grootbos and I am very pleased to write that it exceeded on all accounts. The lodge is beautifully designed, the views over Walker Bay are mesmerising, the staff are friendly, knowledgeable and extremely passionate about the reserve, the food is exquisite, but most importantly the whole experience touches you. I left feeling privileged to have stayed somewhere so special.

I loved the approach that Grootbos takes to looking after what's in their back garden - from training and employing people from the local village of Gansbaai, to a wine list and menu of locally-produced food and wine. By encouraging guests to get involved and support their social projects in an interesting and positive way, they manage to show you not only how precious our planet is, but the small steps we can take to help make a difference.

I found the activities on offer to be varied and plentiful, they are a good mix of fun, educational, relaxing and if you want it adrenalin-based. I would definitely recommend taking a trip out on the ocean, horse-riding on the beach, nature walks on the reserve, sundowners anywhere with a view of the bay, romantic picnics, winetasting at nearby wine estates (they are smaller and less commercial than those over in Franschhoek, Stellenbosch) and make time to stop and enjoy an afternoon relaxing in your suite!

Thanks Michael, Sean, Billy and congratulations on creating such a special place.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with friends

Reviewed April 10, 2010

What an amazing hotel! I'd definitely go back!
I spent 2 nights there about a week ago. When we arrived we were greeted by their very welcoming reception staff who came out to meet us in the car park and immediately took control of our luggage and parking of the car. We were taken to our lovely suite with fabulous views over Gaansbaai and Walker Bay. The rooms are incredibly spacious: a large bedroom area with floor to ceiling windows overlooking our private plunge pool; a very large bathroom with fabulous walk in shower; a separate lounge complete with tv and log fire; a separate dresssing area; a small kitchen area and separate shower room.
The hotel itself is immaculate. The food is fresh and made from local produce and incredibly tasty! On both evenings we were spoilt for choice and made the most of the 5 courses leaving dinner feeling very full! As is typical at Grootbos all the wine is from local wineries which means you can pop in on your way out of town to purchase the wines you've tried and loved.
The hotel organises a wide range of activities: between my friend and I we went shark cage diving, horse riding [both in the local hills and along the beach], nature walks and social community tours. One afternoon, after a horse ride, we were greeted by our guide who drove us down to the waterfront to enjoy some champagne and nibblers whilst the sunset - it was a lovely and totally unexpected treat. But you get the feeling that the guests at Grootbos are often treated like this! The staff are incredibly resourceful. Upon my return from shark cage diving I was due to be riding along the beach. The weather was awful and I was dreading a 4 hour ride in the rain! Fortunately when I returned the staff had organised for me to go on the beach ride the next day [subject to my confirmation of course] and had planned to take us to the local wineries etc for some wine and cheese tasting that afternoon instead. Thank god they did that - we had a lovely afternoon and the next day I went on an amazing beach ride in the sunshine!
Grootbos pride themselves on giving back to the community and they certainly do that - they run a number of pro bono projects which assist local communities to local after themselves, obtain qualifications and jobs, keep the kids off the streets and encourage them to play sport. It's a lovely change staying at a place where the staff really care about their neighbours!
The quality of service is outstanding in all areas of the hotel.
Michael, the owner, is an absolute legend. He takes the time to meet with all his guests [obviously subject to his own busy schedule] and is always willing to sit and have a chat over coffee or a glass/bottle of wine!
I would definitely recommend this hotel to everybody!

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 9, 2010

Our two nights at Grootbos were bliss. This is a special place, beautifully designed to take full advantage of the gorgeous views of Walker Bay and the lovely private nature reserveite.
"Rooms" are actually detached suites with large living rooms, balconies, bedroom and two bathrooms, one huge. Almost every room has floor to ceiling windows with privacy ensured by the siting of the suites. The Forest Lodge building is an example of eco-friendly stunning architecture, with every possible opportunity to enjoy the vistas. Meals were delicious and much of the food, as well as all of the wine, is sourced locally. A lovely shop displays African art, crafts, and jewelry. We were impressed by the activities included in the full board room rate. Grootbos has initiated many very successful programs to support and train local community members. Staff could not do enough to ensure that guests were enjoying themselves. The pride they take in working at Grootbos was evident. We would love to go back!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 27, 2010

My son and I stayed at the Forest Lodge the begining of March. The staff greeted us when we arrived with a warm reception. They were all so kind. The lodges were so beatiful with a spectacular View. They have so many activies for everyone. The cave tour and horseback riding are a must. They food was exceptional. You have to visit Grootbos Nature Reserve. My son and I had a blast.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank Fishingboys
Reviewed March 3, 2010

Incredible location, views and especially the food. Couldn't be a more relaxing place in the world. Service was very good and there are great deal of options for activities if you get antsy.

As an unofficial "foodie" I feel qualified to say that the food is clearly 5 star and well worth the stay alone.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 5, 2010

We stayed in the new year - booked for 3 nights, but stayed for 4. The majority of people that we met there were either there for a week, or 1 night. The people who were there for 1 night were all trying to book for more nights. Its not worth coming for 1 night. 3 nights would be ideal.

Standard of the accomodation is just fantastic - spacious cottages; living room, bedroom, and massive bathroom. You can even sleep with your doors open, as they have mozzie nets to stop the bugs. Rememer, this is a nature reserve! When you come face to face with a puff adder (I did, squeeked and walked in the opposite direction), its their home. They're more scared of us. Although, on my occasion, probably not!

The view from both your room and the stylish restaurant, when its a true African sunset, is just the time that your camera cannot do the view justice and you have to take the picture in your head, and remember it that way. Stunning.

The food, as people mention is just wonderful. Take a pair of pants a size larger!

We would go back here in an instance. Once I've paid off the visa!!

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Coffee&applepie
Reviewed January 12, 2010

Grootbos is set in beautiful countryside with far-reacing views to the sea. The rooms were all spacious and attractive, with modern furnishings - this included the cottages, which had the most amazing bathrooms with uninterrupted views of counrty and sea. The staff were all helpful, well-trained and delightfully friendly and the cuisine was first rate. The only downside was the limited inclusive activities on offer. However, as this is a relatively new project and is still developing, the enthusiastic team and director are bound to remedy this.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Arabella Hotel & Spa
Arabella Hotel & Spa
#1 of 1 in Kleinmond
Misty Waves Boutique Hotel Hermanus

Been to Grootbos Private Nature Reserve? Share your experiences!