“Peace and beauty overlooking Walker Bay . . .”

Grootbos Private Nature Reserve
Greenbrae, California
“Peace and beauty overlooking Walker Bay . . .”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2010

Our two nights at Grootbos were bliss. This is a special place, beautifully designed to take full advantage of the gorgeous views of Walker Bay and the lovely private nature reserveite.
"Rooms" are actually detached suites with large living rooms, balconies, bedroom and two bathrooms, one huge. Almost every room has floor to ceiling windows with privacy ensured by the siting of the suites. The Forest Lodge building is an example of eco-friendly stunning architecture, with every possible opportunity to enjoy the vistas. Meals were delicious and much of the food, as well as all of the wine, is sourced locally. A lovely shop displays African art, crafts, and jewelry. We were impressed by the activities included in the full board room rate. Grootbos has initiated many very successful programs to support and train local community members. Staff could not do enough to ensure that guests were enjoying themselves. The pride they take in working at Grootbos was evident. We would love to go back!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
Palm Beach County
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2010

My son and I stayed at the Forest Lodge the begining of March. The staff greeted us when we arrived with a warm reception. They were all so kind. The lodges were so beatiful with a spectacular View. They have so many activies for everyone. The cave tour and horseback riding are a must. They food was exceptional. You have to visit Grootbos Nature Reserve. My son and I had a blast.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Fishingboys
New York, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2010

Incredible location, views and especially the food. Couldn't be a more relaxing place in the world. Service was very good and there are great deal of options for activities if you get antsy.

As an unofficial "foodie" I feel qualified to say that the food is clearly 5 star and well worth the stay alone.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Castleford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2010

We stayed in the new year - booked for 3 nights, but stayed for 4. The majority of people that we met there were either there for a week, or 1 night. The people who were there for 1 night were all trying to book for more nights. Its not worth coming for 1 night. 3 nights would be ideal.

Standard of the accomodation is just fantastic - spacious cottages; living room, bedroom, and massive bathroom. You can even sleep with your doors open, as they have mozzie nets to stop the bugs. Rememer, this is a nature reserve! When you come face to face with a puff adder (I did, squeeked and walked in the opposite direction), its their home. They're more scared of us. Although, on my occasion, probably not!

The view from both your room and the stylish restaurant, when its a true African sunset, is just the time that your camera cannot do the view justice and you have to take the picture in your head, and remember it that way. Stunning.

The food, as people mention is just wonderful. Take a pair of pants a size larger!

We would go back here in an instance. Once I've paid off the visa!!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Coffee&applepie
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2010

Grootbos is set in beautiful countryside with far-reacing views to the sea. The rooms were all spacious and attractive, with modern furnishings - this included the cottages, which had the most amazing bathrooms with uninterrupted views of counrty and sea. The staff were all helpful, well-trained and delightfully friendly and the cuisine was first rate. The only downside was the limited inclusive activities on offer. However, as this is a relatively new project and is still developing, the enthusiastic team and director are bound to remedy this.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KRBC
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2009

I stayed here with my family in January 2009 and I'm afraid that I had a very different experience than other reviewers. The lodge is really nicely situated with a beautiful view and so far all was well. At check in we were told that we couldn't have a baby sitter for the evening since we had arrived at 3pm and it was now too late. We explained that we were not keen to have a 5 course dinner late in the evening with our 2 year old son since he would surely disturb all other dinner guests. We then asked if we could have our dinner in our room and the front desk manager told us that this was no problem and that they had even arranged weddings in our accommodation. We thought that sounded like a great solution to this issue, sorted! In the evening it turned out that the waiters were very upset that they had to bring food to our accommodation and they basically came and dropped 4 dishes in one go, spilling food, not even opening the bottle of wine that we had ordered and telling us that they were not staffed to perform this kind of service. I was very surprised and disappointed by the presentation of the food and by the fact that staff was complaining to me about doing what the front desk manager had suggested as the solution when the hotel was unable to provide a baby sitter.

Anyhow we thought let's give this place another chance the second day (which was our wedding anniversary) and the next day got off to a pleasant start when a nice breakfast was provided in our room without us even having asked for it. After breakfast we went down to the reception to go on our first activity. There a German man who it turned out is the owner of the place was waiting for us. He asked if we were happy with everything and I said that today we had a nice start to the day but yesterday we were not entirely happy. He then bursted out in a cavalcade of abuse, in short he said that I could try myself to bring dinner to our accommodation and that since his lodge had won many prices and that many "top class people" had stayed there we should take the consequences and leave if we weren't happy. I was truly amazed and said that I would be happy to leave but that I had been incorrectly charged for my entire stay in advance (the hotel's reservation policy was to charge half of the amount at the time of booking and second half on check out). The German then told me that you can't stay in any hotel in the world without prepaying and if I don't know that I obviously haven't travelled much in my life..... Not sure if that's really true (at least it's not the official policy of his own hotel) but he agreed to refund the remainder of my stay. When the German found out that the reason that we requested to dine in our room was that a baby sitter couldn't be offered he did appologize for his rude and abusive ranting and suggested that maybe we could share a glass of wine and become friends. However while I appreciated his appology I felt that he had crossed the line and we decided to leave since we didn't want to risk further abuse at almost $1000 a night, especially since it was our wedding anniversary. We left to Cape Grace in Cape Town which was a fantastic hotel that totally saved our anniversary.

In summary, I think that it's highly questionable whether the manager/owner in a place like this under any circumstances has the right to be as abusive as this person was and if he choses to do so I strongly believe that he should first take the time to listen and understand the circumstances of the guest's complaint before breaking out in an emotional abusive rant! Very uncivilized and very unprofessional IMHO. I would also like to highlight that I, as evidenced by my other reviews, do not complain about every other hotel but this was too much!

• Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
12 Thank romejune2005
Grootbos, Managing Director/Owner at Grootbos Private Nature Reserve, responded to this review, January 12, 2010
In response to the message posted on the 25th of December 2009 and with regards to romejune2005's stay at Grootbos in January 2009, Grootbos Management would like to emphasize that at no time or under any circumstances will they tolerate abuse of their staff!

The Grootbos Management
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2009

Absolutely stunning place to stay. My partner and I stayed 2 nights and if we could have afforded to, would have stayed for longer - I think 4 nights would be ideal.

Our room was fantastic - the bed was the most comfy I've slept in in any hotel:) The design and layout of the suites is well thought out, the decor is lovely and everything is well appointed. Little touches such as the glass and bottle of mineral water by the side of your bed at turn down was a really lovely detail.

I was particularly impressed with check in and the administration staff. My partner wanted to go shark diving and I liaised with reception before departing the uk to arrange this. They did everything and it worked like clockwork. As my partner was somewhere in the ocean with a great white, I checked in alone. No sooner had I got out of my car surrounded by bushes and shrubs, and there was someone to help me. I was led to reception, checked in, offered a drink and the manager came for a friendly welcome chat. I was then introduced to one of the guides - Brummer, who talked me through all activities available and booked me in for as many as I could feasible manage. Following this was lunch after which I was booked in for riding, so hot footed it to my cottage whereby luggage was waiting. A quick change later and back at reception to meet Brummer who took me to the stables. Riding was great, having not been on a horse for 15 years I was a tad apprehensive but needn't have worried.

After riding, (by which time Brummer had collected Andy from the dive site) we went to Grootbos's whale house where we drank some fizz and watched whales breaching - magical!

There's too much to detail here for a short review but in a nutshell, the activities were excellent, staff were a credit, food superb and Brummer and Michael (both guides) were brilliant.

I would certainly visit again!

Unfortunately, with so much to do on site, we didn't stay in our room much!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Crayfish Lodge Sea & Country Guest House
MOSAIC Lagoon Lodge
MOSAIC Lagoon Lodge
#1 of 12 in Stanford

Been to Grootbos Private Nature Reserve? Share your experiences!