All reviewsforest lodgehorse ridingwhale watchingwalker baycape townnature reserveshark cage divingsouth africawine cellarstunning viewstwo daysour honeymoonsee whalesthe main lodgelocal communitycourse dinnerthree nights
Reviewed December 6, 2009

Absolutely stunning place to stay. My partner and I stayed 2 nights and if we could have afforded to, would have stayed for longer - I think 4 nights would be ideal.

Our room was fantastic - the bed was the most comfy I've slept in in any hotel:) The design and layout of the suites is well thought out, the decor is lovely and everything is well appointed. Little touches such as the glass and bottle of mineral water by the side of your bed at turn down was a really lovely detail.

I was particularly impressed with check in and the administration staff. My partner wanted to go shark diving and I liaised with reception before departing the uk to arrange this. They did everything and it worked like clockwork. As my partner was somewhere in the ocean with a great white, I checked in alone. No sooner had I got out of my car surrounded by bushes and shrubs, and there was someone to help me. I was led to reception, checked in, offered a drink and the manager came for a friendly welcome chat. I was then introduced to one of the guides - Brummer, who talked me through all activities available and booked me in for as many as I could feasible manage. Following this was lunch after which I was booked in for riding, so hot footed it to my cottage whereby luggage was waiting. A quick change later and back at reception to meet Brummer who took me to the stables. Riding was great, having not been on a horse for 15 years I was a tad apprehensive but needn't have worried.

After riding, (by which time Brummer had collected Andy from the dive site) we went to Grootbos's whale house where we drank some fizz and watched whales breaching - magical!

There's too much to detail here for a short review but in a nutshell, the activities were excellent, staff were a credit, food superb and Brummer and Michael (both guides) were brilliant.

I would certainly visit again!

Unfortunately, with so much to do on site, we didn't stay in our room much!

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Saffs
Reviewed November 2, 2009

We were made to feel welcome as soon as we arrived. The staff were attentive and helped us arrange the activies for our 3 day stay. We had e-mailed ahead to book the whale boat trip and a late room check-out. The guides have a very extensive knowlege and great enthusiasm and pass this on to those around them, the whale watching was just amazing, we sure so many mothers with their calfs at play to last a lifetime. The other activies are also very interesting, a 4x4 ride around the reserve to see the flowers etc and the projects to support the local community. The room and food are 5* but the pool outside our room was unheated and it was too cold to use and none of the steps had hand-rails which was alittle dificult for me. But a most wonderful trip

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank cilla99
Reviewed October 30, 2009

We were lucky enough to have a night at the Forest Lodge given to us as a wedding present and stayed at the Forest Lodge as part of our honeymoon. We weren't sure what to expect but were absolutely blown away by the place. Our room was huge. With a large separate lounge, lovely bedroom, huge bathroom and 3 (count 'em) separate showers. The bedroom and lounge opened out to a lovely balcony overlooking the forest and out to the sea.

The food was also excellent with 2 choices of main dish at lunch and a few more options at dinner. Breakfast was also very good.

The service was generally very good and as we were honeymooners they provided a bottle of sparkling wine. When we returned from dinner they had spread rose petals around the bed and bethroom and even had a warm bubble bath waiting for us. A really nice touch.

Grootbos is set in beautiful sorroundings and we were lucky enough to get to know one of the guides, Nzuzo. We arrived a little early for our room to be available so Nzuzo took us on a private walk round the forest and explained the diversity of the plantlife. We also took a guided cave beach walk, and another nature walk round the forest.

The other thing particularly worth noting about the Grootbos is the Grootbos foundation, a fantastic education and conservation project run by the owners. The Grootbos run a school to train locals in nature conservation and life skills and another teaching women about growing food. These students are generally unemployed and homeless prior to their participation. Nzuzo and some of our other guides were graduates of this school. They also run an organic farm staffed by the students of the women's school which provide meats, eggs and vegetables for the hotel.

The Grootbos isn't cheap but the location, the service, the food and the foundation are so good that everyone should try to stay there if they could.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dhr1
Reviewed October 21, 2009

We stayed 2 nights at Grootbos and had high expectations, but they were not completely met.
The lodge is superb! Very spacious and luxureous with a separate living room, bed room with sea view and a huge bath room, also with sea view. Magnificent! On the sun deck is another, outdoor shower.
Very modern, newly built (2005) and design furnishing.
Dinner was good, but nothing fancy, we actually preferred breakfast and (hot) lunch.
We did a guided nature walk on the Reserve, which was nice, but not spectacular. It was good to experience the fynbos, but that does not take more than 2 hours.
All other activities are basically outside the Reserve and concentrated in Gansbaai. They are arranged at (quite high) additional costs, except for a coastal whale watch.
I did the white shark cage diving and that certainly is an experience of your lifetime!
We also did the boat whale watching, which we can recommend as well.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 14, 2009

The food, the amenities, the rooms, the service: all are top-notch. I went there on my honeymoon, and would return in heart-beat. If you're looking for luxury and relaxation, this is the place to go. Hans and Bennett are AWESOME... the whole staff, in fact. Take advantage of the activities -- we did horse-back riding, shark-cage diving, a tour of the township, the beaches... it was all amazing. And the food is some of the best I've ever had. I can't recommend the place enough.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple