“How pleasant” 5 of 5 bubbles

Grootbos Private Nature Reserve
Buckingham, United Kingdom
“How pleasant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2009

Very warm welcome from the Grootbos Garden Lodge Team. Comfortable room with great view ou to Gansbaai. Tasty meals, helpful staff. Really enjoyed our stay at Grootbos.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
Cape Town Central, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2009

I wasn't sure exactly what to expect prior to our trip to Grootbos. I had met the owner and was well aware of his eco and social friendly projects, but still wasn't sure what to expect from the lodge.

We arrived relatively late on a Friday night, to a very chic and quiet Forest lodge. The welcome was great (sparkling wine and snacks) and was followed up by an exceptional meal.

We then made our way down to our room (actually a fully independent chalet/cabin) which was enormous and had a large lounge (with roaring fire), a deck as well as a nice room with a massive en-suite.

However none of this prepared us for the phenomenal view that greeted us the following morning. The chalet feels completely secluded and stares out over an enormous expanse of fynbos on the the ocean below. We did very little over the next couple of days, but relax and read on the deck, and enjoy the sumptuous fare the the kitchen churns out.

We did do two of the organised tours; one an informative walk through the grounds, which highlight the abundant local flora (and some fauna) and the variety of social projects that Grootbos is involved in. The second was a horseback ride through the grounds. I would recommend both.

All in all I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Grootbos to anyone who was really looking to get away from it all and just completely relax for a few days. Don't expect too much action, and don't expect large animals, but take it for what it is; a wonderful natural sanctuary in the middle of a pristine fynbos landscape.

I certainly look forward to going back.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank campsbayrich
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2009

Wonderful surroundings! Panoramic views! We stayed in a Garden Lodge suite which was beautiful. Very spacious, magnificently situated amongst the trees with a sweeping view down to the bay. Flowers and candles placed strategically around the suite, and a roaring log fire at night make it very romantic too! The staff are extremely helpful and really work hard to make your stay as comfortable and memorable as possible.

Lots of tours are included in the price so a stay here represents great value. Make sure you go on a guided beach walk as well as a guided walk through the reserve itself. A 'social awareness' trip is also an absolute must. All the guides have come through Grootbos' own training programme and are just one testament to the fabulous work that is done here. The owner Michael is a trememdous character with a very clear vision about the future of South Africa.

We will definitely try to visit again!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Chocolateloverlondon
Marbella
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2009

Just stayed for three nights and loved it.
Service was excellent, the rooms were very spacious with a wooden chimney that was started right before you finished your dinner, and a great bathroom.
Everyone was very helpful and shorted all our excursions professionally.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2009

Grotbos exceeded all expectations! the food was sublime, the rooms were absoultely spectacular and the staff were willing to care for your every need. The infinity pool over looking the draw dropping view of the beautiful beach was gorgeous especially in the setting sun! But one thing that i always remember is the amazing food that was served there! I would definitely go back there again due to the amazing facilities, helpful staff and spectacular accomadtion! MAKE SURE YOU GO THERE ON YOUR HOLIDAY!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
Los Angeles
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2009

I chose to stay at Grootbos because they offer several activities on site (I had no car) and meals were included. Found a special rate online, which made the rates more in line with what the stay was worth. I had anticipated staying in Forest Lodge, but arrived to find that lodge closed and that I was to stay in the Garden Lodge. The Garden Lodge is set up to accommadate families with an emphasis on the needs of children. I was initially unhappy about the lodging situation, but ended up enjoying my stay none the less.

Food was good, service throughout my stay in South Africa was generally much slower than I am used to coming from the US, and this took some getting used to. Overall, staff were quite friendly and engaging. I had assumed lunch was included in my package, but found out at checkout that it wasn't. Fee was reasonable, probably my fault for not reading the details a little more closely.

The rooms can be a bit of a walk from the front desk, but I didn't mind. Some rooms are right next to the central area. Wandering around the extensive grounds was a good way to exercise.

I explained to the guides that I wanted to be kept busy over my 5 night stay and they were quite successful. The lodge also has arrangements with local companies and so I was able to charge the fees for a boat tour and shark cage diving to my room. Transportation to the activities was included which was nice.

Rooms at the Garden Lodge were a tiny bit dated, but very spacious and comfortable.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled solo
Norddeutschland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2009

We saw this hotel as a sort of high point of our roundtrip through SA and turned from the highway to the small private road with high expectations.
The start was pretty good. Friendly people greeted us, car and luggage were taking care of and we found ourselves on the terrace of the hotel to enjoy the stunning view down into the bay, a glass of champagne and a well prepared lunch. Afterwards we were introduced into the activities and set our plan.
The lodge which we were shown then was a well apointed apartment with a big terrace overlooking the bay, a big living area, a nice bathroom (but only that, nice, nothing really special) and a bedroom which was actually a bit on the small side. Everything was clean and all you needed was in place but it lacked a bit being something special (compared to Hog Hollow for example). It also lacked privacy imo since you always had other apartments in your view. The minibar was stocked but by far the most expensive on the trip through SA that we made.
The staff was friendly and nice all the way. Especially the young man who did most of the excursions was a jewel telling us a lot about the nature and the area.
I can truly recommend the trip to the caves. We did see a lot of whales on the way down (of course this is depending on the season) and the caves and the beach are stunning. Be careful though, they told us that it would be an easy walk while in fact some climbing is needed (not that serious as long as your legs are ok but they better should).
The dinner in the evening once again with the beautiful view was pretty well the first evening but on the second we received the same menu leaving us with the second best choice of course. The wine is not included and even though they had some pretty nice wines the prices were way above what you pay anywhere else in SA.
The lunch at the terrace was always nice.
A big downside was the pool which looked pretty nice but was so cold I could hardly get in (around 16 C as estimate).

Sadly after a pretty good start not all our expectations were matched and after having some more comparisons (Southern Ocean Lodge on Kangaroo Island for example) I must say that for the price you pay upfront I´d expect less charges during my stay and some more privay and room at my apartment

• Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
#1 of 12 in Stanford
Bellavista Country Place
Bellavista Country Place
#2 of 11 in Stanford

Been to Grootbos Private Nature Reserve? Share your experiences!