All reviews forest lodge horse riding whale watching walker bay cape town nature reserve shark cage diving south africa wine cellar stunning views two days our honeymoon see whales the main lodge local community course dinner three nights
Reviewed June 25, 2009

Just stayed for three nights and loved it.
Service was excellent, the rooms were very spacious with a wooden chimney that was started right before you finished your dinner, and a great bathroom.
Everyone was very helpful and shorted all our excursions professionally.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 4, 2009

Grotbos exceeded all expectations! the food was sublime, the rooms were absoultely spectacular and the staff were willing to care for your every need. The infinity pool over looking the draw dropping view of the beautiful beach was gorgeous especially in the setting sun! But one thing that i always remember is the amazing food that was served there! I would definitely go back there again due to the amazing facilities, helpful staff and spectacular accomadtion! MAKE SURE YOU GO THERE ON YOUR HOLIDAY!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed May 3, 2009

I chose to stay at Grootbos because they offer several activities on site (I had no car) and meals were included. Found a special rate online, which made the rates more in line with what the stay was worth. I had anticipated staying in Forest Lodge, but arrived to find that lodge closed and that I was to stay in the Garden Lodge. The Garden Lodge is set up to accommadate families with an emphasis on the needs of children. I was initially unhappy about the lodging situation, but ended up enjoying my stay none the less.

Food was good, service throughout my stay in South Africa was generally much slower than I am used to coming from the US, and this took some getting used to. Overall, staff were quite friendly and engaging. I had assumed lunch was included in my package, but found out at checkout that it wasn't. Fee was reasonable, probably my fault for not reading the details a little more closely.

The rooms can be a bit of a walk from the front desk, but I didn't mind. Some rooms are right next to the central area. Wandering around the extensive grounds was a good way to exercise.

I explained to the guides that I wanted to be kept busy over my 5 night stay and they were quite successful. The lodge also has arrangements with local companies and so I was able to charge the fees for a boat tour and shark cage diving to my room. Transportation to the activities was included which was nice.

Rooms at the Garden Lodge were a tiny bit dated, but very spacious and comfortable.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed April 29, 2009

We saw this hotel as a sort of high point of our roundtrip through SA and turned from the highway to the small private road with high expectations.
The start was pretty good. Friendly people greeted us, car and luggage were taking care of and we found ourselves on the terrace of the hotel to enjoy the stunning view down into the bay, a glass of champagne and a well prepared lunch. Afterwards we were introduced into the activities and set our plan.
The lodge which we were shown then was a well apointed apartment with a big terrace overlooking the bay, a big living area, a nice bathroom (but only that, nice, nothing really special) and a bedroom which was actually a bit on the small side. Everything was clean and all you needed was in place but it lacked a bit being something special (compared to Hog Hollow for example). It also lacked privacy imo since you always had other apartments in your view. The minibar was stocked but by far the most expensive on the trip through SA that we made.
The staff was friendly and nice all the way. Especially the young man who did most of the excursions was a jewel telling us a lot about the nature and the area.
I can truly recommend the trip to the caves. We did see a lot of whales on the way down (of course this is depending on the season) and the caves and the beach are stunning. Be careful though, they told us that it would be an easy walk while in fact some climbing is needed (not that serious as long as your legs are ok but they better should).
The dinner in the evening once again with the beautiful view was pretty well the first evening but on the second we received the same menu leaving us with the second best choice of course. The wine is not included and even though they had some pretty nice wines the prices were way above what you pay anywhere else in SA.
The lunch at the terrace was always nice.
A big downside was the pool which looked pretty nice but was so cold I could hardly get in (around 16 C as estimate).

Sadly after a pretty good start not all our expectations were matched and after having some more comparisons (Southern Ocean Lodge on Kangaroo Island for example) I must say that for the price you pay upfront I´d expect less charges during my stay and some more privay and room at my apartment

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Florian254
Reviewed March 27, 2009

This really is the most fantastic place we have ever stayed, and can't fault it in any way. We stayed here for only 1 night in March as a wedding present. The service is flawless - the staff really do go out of their way to help you with friendly hints and tips.

The accomodation is stunning - set in the beautiful reserve everything is focussed on the views, and the rooms (bathrooms especially) are a real treat.

The weather wasn't great when we were there so we enjoyed some beauty treatments which were perfect.

Worth a special mention was the food. It was as high quality as any fine dining restaurant anywehere in the world. We were treated to a private candle lit dinner in the wine cellar - the real highlight.

We will definately come back here when in the area. Don't hesitate - book it now!!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple