“"Enchanted Nature Preserve on Walker Bay"”

Grootbos Private Nature Reserve
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Grootbos is a stunningly beautiful destination. The professional, gracious, attentiveness of the entire staff, complements the magnificent luxurious accommodations and delectable meals served at the restaurant. It is masterfully designed to take full advantage of the sweeping views of th ePreserve, a wildflower jungle and Walker Bay which is the Whale Watching and Great White Shark Viewing Capitol of the World. The Grootbos Nature Preserve is vast and beautiful, it can be experienced by hiking, on horseback or with experienced guides on a 4 x 4 Safari. It's a
Magical Setting and we are planning to return.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Grootbos Private Nature Reserve

Reviewed June 24, 2013

I feel so blessed to have experienced Grootbos, it truly optimizes the African Dream, absolute luxury, comfort, style and superb service all wrapped up in the best that nature has to offer. Grootbos should be on the bucket list of every person who has truly lived. It is a time capsule of nature in all its unspoilt glory. Every moment of our stay was wonderful, a huge thank you to all at Grootbos for just getting it all so right and always with a smile.

Room Tip: The villa is superb, fit for a king!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 24, 2013

We just had an absolutely amazing weekend at Grootbos. We went for a lovely 2 hour horse ride through the flowering fynbos, for an early morning guided walk where we saw a bushbuck, grysbok, baboons, birds, fascinating flowers and much more. The stunning views and feeling of tranquility and space is such a luxury that we felt heart sore to leave yesterday evening.
The food at the restaurant is creative, healthy, fresh & local and with the combination of a small a la carte menu and a buffet, you will always find what you are looking for.
We were extremely well looked after by the welcoming, friendly and competent Grootbos team, at reception, in the restaurant, on the walk and ride and also by the housekeeping staff.
Whenever we will have the chance, we will be certainly be back and can also recommend it to anyone for a holiday, a weekend getaway or even 'just' for a dinner and I can only imagine that it would be the ideal wedding venue.

Room Tip: Any room will blow your mind, seriously.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 7, 2013

What a beautiful place! Grootbos sits up high, perfectly positioned to enjoy the most picturesque views over the bay of colourful fynbos, rolling sand dunes, and the magnificent ocean. In season I imagine you would see the whales breaching as well. We were welcomed by Berdine who was so friendly and wonderfully calm that we instantly relaxed in to our surroundings and sat back to soak it up. The food is exceptional at Grootbos and everything we tasted was out of this world. On arrival we deliberated over a cocktail but decided it was a little too early. In a flash Berdine had bought us the most divine homemade lemonade / non alcoholic pimms / mojito - I can't even describe it, but it was possibly the best drink I have ever tasted! The rooms, service, spa at Grootbos are as you would expect from a 5 star place and could not be faulted; super luxurious and always facing this stunning view.
I met a lot of very attractive, young, enthusiastic staff members at Grootbos as well. They were all so enamoured with the place and it is infectious. One girl excitedly told me about the leopard they were catching on the night cameras and about all the other wonderful species that have made Grootbos their home. And why wouldn't they.. Forest lodge is nestled in a pretty milk wood forest, I think one of the largest there is in the world, and some of the trees are over 1000 years old. Wandering through these twisted gnarly trees to your room or the spa is both romantic and uplifting somehow.
In terms of things to do at Grootbos, I think the list is endless but sadly we didn't have time for much. We did however go horse riding on the beach which was absolutely phenomenal. I have done riding holidays and safaris in many places in the world yet this brief couple of hours will go down as one of the most memorable hours I've spent on horseback. I almost don't want to ruin the surprise but suffice to say if you ski and you're looking out over miles of untouched powder snow, it's a similar feeling but with sand and 4 galloping legs rather than skis..
I would highly recommend Grootbos - do have a look at my pictures as well. And I sincerely hope I make it back there again soon.

Room Tip: No tip, all wonderful, but Forest Lodge is more like a swanky hotel with modern architecture and Gar...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kate C
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Grootbos is a wonderful resort overviewing the Walker Bay with very good chances to watch whales from the terraces and from the rooms. It is situated in a huge nature reserve and the whole team makes you feel at home immediately. We had a lovely room in the Garden Lodge and enjoyed every second of our stay. Michael and his team have created a wonderful place there. The food was excellent and always very nicely presented. All in all: a wonderful place to stay for a couple of days to enjoy nature and the fynbos, to watch whales or to just sit on the terrace enjoying life.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 27, 2013

The only reason we chose to go here was to see marine life. They certainly market that on their website, although as an "extra". When we got there, we were advised that the boat they use was out of service. There was no access to any other boat. If you are marketing the ability to see marine life, you need to have a plan B.

Expect a surly reply from the owner who was not even gracious enough to provide an apology, stating only that it's not his boat and is out of his control. True, but it's up to you to find a way to live up to the expectations that you set.

The food, however, was amazing, the staff were wonderful and the grounds were beautiful. Too bad that's not what we went there for.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Intrepid T
SeanIngles, General Manager at Grootbos Private Nature Reserve, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2013

I'm sorry to hear that your expectations were not met with regards to the marine activities on offer- particularly the scenic boat cruise to Dyer Island. Unfortunately there is only one operator that offers this trip at this time of the year. With their boat being unexpectadley out of action for maintenance- we had no alternative. Saying this though, I do hope took the opportunity to visit the magnificient coastline with one of our Marine guides- exploring the ancient caves along the shore or taking a fascinating tour along the pristine stretch of beach.

Reviewed May 23, 2013

We stayed at the Garden Lodge, because we travelled with our children this time. Previously we stayed at the Forest Lodge, which I personally prefer.

The staff was overall very friendly and welcoming. The children's entertainment program was excellent. Albertram was really great with the kids and took them for a treasure hunt. Afterwards they went pony riding which they loved too. Bongani accommodated us for a wonderful short notice drive in the morning. The kids received little frog keyrings on the beds in the evening, that was a very nice surprise for them and much better than chocolates.

Nevertheless there were a few points that makes Grootbos not quite 5 star.

It started with making a reservation, which required several emails from my side to finally receive a response to my booking request. I guess that was because I booked a reduced rate special, but should nevertheless not have happened. Missing cutlery in the morning at the breakfast table, no glasses at the juice bar, the croissants and muffins only came out quite a bit after official start of breakfast time, which we were eagerly awaiting since the kids were up since 5am. We ordered a meal for the baby to the room, which was only delivered late and after a phone call reminder to reception. They clearly forgot about it. The suites appear to be an upgrade of an older version that was not really completed. The toilet in suite 3 for example has a basin, but not towel hanger, so after washing your hands you have to walk to the bathroom to dry them - really odd. Our suite had underfloor heating, but in the kids suite it was removed, so the bathroom floor was very cold.

Anyway we still had a nice weekend, but I am glad I didn't have to pay the full rate.

Room Tip: If you don't travel with kids then definitely stay in the Forest Lodge and not the Garden Lodge
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your comments. I'm thrilled to hear that you returned to Grootbos with the kids and that they had such and enjoyable time. I appreciate your constructive comments regarding the breakfast and reservation process. I'll be sure to investigate these issues and take corrective action.

Thank you too for your comments on the rooms- you'll be glad to hear that were are undergoing a full soft refurbishment this winter and I hope you'll return to see what changes have been made.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Grootbos Private Nature Reserve
65onCliff
65onCliff
#6 of 30 in Gansbaai
Crayfish Lodge Sea & Country Guest House

Been to Grootbos Private Nature Reserve? Share your experiences!