“Comfortable adrenalin rush”

Shark Cage Diving and Viewing in Kleinbaai
Ranked #1 of 21 Tours in Gansbaai
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The owner and founder Brian McFarlane is a professional diver and skipper who has always made a living from the sea. He started diving for perlemoen (abalone) at a young age, then moved on to become a commercial fisherman for 6 years and spent another 6 years diving in search of wrecks along the southern coast of Africa. This was followed by the diving for diamonds from the sea-bed for the next 20 years.He has become a local legend with his fascinating tales about the sea and underwater experiences. During the time when Great White Shark fishing was allowed, Brian caught Great Whites, some weighing more than 1 tonne.Today, he dearly regrets this and now spends his time and efforts in finding the great beasts to be observed and photographed at close range. Brian has worked with the Great Whites for 18 years and has only had 6 non-sighting days in the last 10 years.
Reviewed April 7, 2014

I've done the dive on the 4/4/2014, great date and an even better experience. After we've arrived from Cape Town we were well received with warm smiles and an excellent breakfast(important considering the fact that you leave Cape Town pretty early). Afterwards we were briefed and prepared for the experience ahead of us. Needless to say, it was worth it, although the water was cold, the adrenalin rush from seeing these great animals made me forget anything else. I felt very secure, I guess that the feeling of being in a group ads to one's personal feeling of safety. I will definitely do this again in the future.

1  Thank RonWar
Sharky41, Manager at Great White Shark Tours, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2014

That is definitely a very memorable date! Breakfast is the most important meal of the day and we realize that many of our guest have to be up very early to get to us, also being South African it is also in our nature to "feed the masses" ! It makes us very happy to hear that you enjoyed your trip even if the water was a little chilly.

We hope to see you again in the near future!

Team GWST

Write a ReviewReviews (1,249)

Reviewed April 4, 2014

This is a very well run business and I am glad we spent a little more money to get this crew rather than the other companies operating in the area. My fiance had dived with them a few years ago so we knew we were in good hands. Hospitality and customer service is top notch. Everything is explained well and you are never left hungry! Pre-departure breakfast, lunch on board and soup and hot drinks upon return. Crew had a good vibe and made it an enjoyable experience for all guests. We saw 6 different sharks that kept returning to the boat. Each set of 8 people got at least 20 minutes in the cage and anyone who wanted a second turn got to go down again which I was impressed with. We definitely got our money's worth. We could see about 5 other diving boats in our vicinity and our boat was by far the most comfortable looking. Would highly recommend and visit again!

1  Thank JLPJLK

It always makes us so happy to hear back from returning visitors! We are glad that we could meet your expectations, we always try our utmost to make sure all our visitors are happy and well fed and have had the experience they imagined having :) .

We hope to see you again soon, hopefully on your honeymoon?

Reviewed March 28, 2014

Not a lot to say which hasn't already been said but I echo the comments of the others on this site. Fantastic experience and hospitality from the team from start to finish. I wouldn't go with anybody else *when* I go back. Oh yeah, and loads of sharks.

Fantastic! We are so glad we could meet your expectations, thank you for your kind words and we cant wait to welcome you back again soon!

Reviewed March 25, 2014

Everything was amazing with this company. When we arrived we were offered tea, coffee or hot chocolate and once everyone attending arrived we had breakfast and watched a short video on what we would later be experiencing.
Brian was a fantastic skipper, he made everyone feel very comfortable and had a great sense of humour. You could tell from the start he was very passionate about his profession.
Once we were handed waterproof jackets we loaded on to the boat - all 25 of us - we at first thought this could be too many people.
The team chummed the water as soon as Brian selected his position and within 15 minutes we sighted the first sharks. The team on the boat were quick to tell us about the sharks we were seeing. As soon as the first sharks were sighted we were suited up with our wetsuit, booties, goggles and weight belt. The cage which held about 6 people was easy to get into, the water was freezing but as soon as you see the sharks the feeling of the freezing water disappears.
Seeing Great White Sharks so close was a very special experience, some seemed very curious and yes, I think some wanted to eat us - judging by them biting the cage!
Some may question how it works when you're in the water - basically once you're in the cage you hang on to a bar with your hands above the water line and your feet hook around another bar deeper in the water, when the crew see a shark they yell 'shark left, down, down down'. When you hear this you hold your breath, release your feet from the bar and then hook your feet onto another bar deeper in the cage - sometimes I just stood on the bottom on the cage (I'm 5'7 and this was no problem), then look left and see the shark. You don't need to hold your breath for too long as the sharks dart in and out of view quite quickly. It's really simple.
We saw 7 sharks, some small and some very large.
We all had plenty of time in the water, and were all offered more time until everyone had enough. Brian accommodated all 25 of us with ease.
The Team on the boat were very helpful and informative.
We were all offered endless snacks, drinks and sandwiches. The boat was very clean and modern and there was plenty of space under the seats to store bags, clothes etc. The storage area was waterproof for those bringing cameras, phones etc.
Once we arrived back at the office we were again offered a warm drink while a video was played of the experience. I believe the video is around 250rand. Each participant received a shark diving certificate.
I highly recommend Great White Shark Tours to everyone, it was such a brilliant experience that I will not forget any time soon - I'm still telling people! Brian and his team are professional and will make sure you get the experience you deserve. Don't settle for anything less!

Sharky41, Manager at Great White Shark Tours, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2014

Thank you so much for the fantastic review and kind words Kandy! We do strive to make everyone's experience with us as memorable as possible and we are so pleased that we could do that for you! We do hope that we'll see you when you visit SA again.

Reviewed March 20, 2014

Before the trip we were told that it wasn't a very good time of the year to see any sharks, but that wasn't the case. We saw 6-7 great whites and some of them were pretty big. Visibility in the water wasn't the best, but the sharks come right up to the cage so it wasn't a problem. We felt safe the whole time and enjoyed it all. Only word of caution is to definitely take sea sickness medicine. The day we went out had bigger waves than normal and about half our ship got sick, me included. Even though I got sick, I would still do it again.

We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed some great shark sightings on your recent trip with us Jeff. We most definitely agree that sea sickness tablets are a must unless you have old sealegs like us. Looking forward to your next visit!