“Just amazing”

Shark Cage Diving and Viewing in Kleinbaai
Ranked #1 of 21 Tours in Gansbaai
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The owner and founder Brian McFarlane is a professional diver and skipper who has always made a living from the sea. He started diving for perlemoen (abalone) at a young age, then moved on to become a commercial fisherman for 6 years and spent another 6 years diving in search of wrecks along the southern coast of Africa. This was followed by the diving for diamonds from the sea-bed for the next 20 years.He has become a local legend with his fascinating tales about the sea and underwater experiences. During the time when Great White Shark fishing was allowed, Brian caught Great Whites, some weighing more than 1 tonne.Today, he dearly regrets this and now spends his time and efforts in finding the great beasts to be observed and photographed at close range. Brian has worked with the Great Whites for 18 years and has only had 6 non-sighting days in the last 10 years.
Konigswinter, Germany
“Just amazing”
Reviewed December 3, 2013

I always wanted to go on a shark cage diving trip and finally got the chance to do so during our vacation in South Africa. I'm so glad we chose Brian McFarlane and Great White Shark Tours for this. The boat and the crew were perfect. We arrived there at 8 am in the morning. After having breakfast we got a safety briefing and all information on the itinerary for the day. The boatride to the diving site took only 15 min. We were glad to see a lot of sharks on our trip. Brian is really great and can tell you so much after the sharks. The good thing about Great White Shark tours is that they only do one trip a day. This has the positive effect that they really give you all the time you need to see these great animals and you never feel like being on a rush. We even got the chance to get into the cage multiple times. Most importantly as many people are concerned about safety. From the moment we stepped on the boat we felt absolutely safe. The crew really takes great care of you, the cage is absolultey safe and perfect to enjoy the sharks. Would always recommend Brian and his team for the shark diving trips in Gaansbai! Hope we get the chance to do this again!

Visited December 2013
Sharky41, Manager at Great White Shark Tours, responded to this review, December 4, 2013
Thank you for choosing us and for taking the time to post a review! We certainly also hope that you will join us again.

• Arabic first
  • Thai first
Raleigh, North Carolina
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“What an adrenaline rush!”
Reviewed December 1, 2013

I never thought I would choose to get close to a great white shark let alone get in the water with one. I was very nervous about getting into the cage to see the great whites and to brave the cold water but the crew takes good care of you.

The day we went out happened to be a windy day and the winds were shifting in different directions so the sharks didn’t show up for about an hour. We had 3 sharks during our tour including one that was 4 meters. The water was cold, the visibility was only about 2 meters but it was unbelievable and worth the wait. Having a great white swim past you, hit the cage with her tail and bite the cage is just crazy. I couldn’t help but scream as the shark bit the cage. It definitely made a memorable video that sounds like a Jaws horror movie.

This tour was awesome and I recommend it to anyone who loves sharks and wants to experience an adrenaline rush like no other.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank BuffaloSunshine
Glad you overcame the nerves and had a great dive in the end! Have fun watching your home video, glad we could help make you experience memorable!

USA
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“A Must Do!”
Reviewed December 1, 2013

This is one of those experiences that you never will forget. My friend and I went on this tour and had a great time. The crew are very knowledgeable, friendly and safe. The boat ride is only about 10 minutes to the site but I would recommend wearing warm clothing, especially a hat or a hood if it is windy out.
There is a nice breakfast in the morning before you head out and also snacks and beverages are provided free of charge on the boat. There is also heavy fisherman rain jackets that are provided and I would recommend using one.
This is the only tour operator that offers a money back guarantee and I would highly recommend them.

1 Thank TravelGirl2126
Thank you so much for the great review! Hope to see you soon!

Sittingbourne, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“WOW !”
Reviewed November 27, 2013

What more can I say... From start to finish these guys are the best in the business.
Had a great time cheers guys

Visited November 2013
Thank you so much for choosing us and for taking the time to write a review! Visit again soon!

Washington DC, District of Columbia
35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 58 helpful votes
“MUST DO!”
Reviewed November 23, 2013

My husband and I went on this tour and LOVED it! I was really scared but the tour guides really make you feel comfortable. And, then when we really wanted to get out because we got a bit too scared they were more than happy to take us out of the water. We saw 14 different great white sharks and were seeing sharks within probably 20 minutes of stopping in the ocean. This is a once in a lifetime experience that I HIGHLY recommend. And, if you are too scared to go in the water, do note that we saw sharks clearly from the safety of the boat.

1 Thank Storm4me
Sharky41, Manager at Great White Shark Tours, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
We are so pleased that you enjoyed your experience with us even if you were a little scared. We hope however that you will return for another trip soon.