“An outstanding experience” 5 of 5 bubbles

Great White Shark Tours
Ranked #1 of 22 Tours in Gansbaai
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The owner and founder Brian McFarlane is a professional diver and skipper who has always made a living from the sea. He started diving for perlemoen (abalone) at a young age, then moved on to become a commercial fisherman for 6 years and spent another 6 years diving in search of wrecks along the southern coast of Africa. This was followed by the diving for diamonds from the sea-bed for the next 20 years.He has become a local legend with his fascinating tales about the sea and underwater experiences. During the time when Great White Shark fishing was allowed, Brian caught Great Whites, some weighing more than 1 tonne.Today, he dearly regrets this and now spends his time and efforts in finding the great beasts to be observed and photographed at close range. Brian has worked with the Great Whites for 18 years and has only had 6 non-sighting days in the last 10 years.
Chicago, Illinois
“An outstanding experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2013

This is truly a first class outfit. From the pickup to the great meals to the unbelieveable experience with 13 great whites and 3 Southern Right whales, Brian and his team know exactly what they are doing. He is passionate about his craft and it shows. His crew were extremely helpful and accomodated all our unique needs. His ethical approach to attracting and engaging the sharks is what attracted us to begin with and we were not disappointed. A once in a lifetime experience!

Visited August 2013
Sharky41, Manager at Great White Shark Tours, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Thank you for joining us and for taking the time to post a review RJ, We greatly appreciate the feedback!

• Arabic first
  • Thai first
Lexington, Massachusetts
59 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 95 helpful votes
“A Must Do While in Cape Town - No Dive Experience Necessary!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2013

This company deserves all of the raves on TripAdvisor. My husband, our 16 -year-old daughter and I had a thrilling day on board the Apex Predator with Captain Brian and his very professional crew. Captain Brian really knows how to find the sharks and then keep them around so you have many views of them from the cage (which is always attached to the boat). Brian is a noted authority on Great White Sharks. Just a few days ago, we were watching the "Megalodon" episode during Shark Week on Animal Planet, and there was our Captain Brian prominently featured on the program!

It is an amazing experience to be so close in the water to these awe-inspiring creatures. It is a bit of a misnomer to call it "diving," as you have only a wetsuit and a mask -- no scuba tanks and not even a snorkel. Since your head is above the water at all times while in the cage, you simply hold your breath for about 30 seconds and duck under the water when the crew tells you to go under to see the sharks. My husband brought his own mask and snorkel which made it possible for him to stay underwater longer than everyone else.

We also recommend taking Dramamine or some other motion sickness tablets one hour prior to your departure. Even though we had a beautiful, calm day in late June, there was still one unfortunate soul on our boat who was seasick, due to the swells. However, we had popped Dramamine prior to departure so we enjoyed every minute of our adventure with no seasickness. You must bring your own Dramamine with you, as it is not provided by the tour operator.

The crew could not have been more helpful answering all of our questions, putting on our wetsuits and pulling them off once you're done.

As we were on the boat during the South African winter, we worried that the water would be too cold. It turns out that the ocean water is actually warmer in winter than in summer, and clearer as well, so it is great for underwater viewing. Actually, you can see quite a lot of the sharks from the boat, too, so if there are family members who are nervous about going in the cage, you can still have a fun experience from the boat.

The pick up and drop off from our hotel in Cape Town was seamless and punctual. The continental breakfast was very good. It was a perfect day - don't miss it!

Visited June 2013
3 Thank Alexandrasmom817
We are so happy that you and your family enjoyed your trip with us and hope you'll join us again very soon!

UK
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“The best day of my life!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2013

I had been dreaming about coming face to face with the most awe inspiring animals in the world for years, so did a lot of research into which company I'd be best to go with! I was not let down by any part of my experience, even with my super high expectations! The crew were absolutely fantastic, with a real passion for the animals! They were super professional, made us feel safe & comfortable while keeping a laid back feel to the day. I got a personalised text message giving me my pick up time from Cape Town. The welcome breakfast was varied & delicious, the lunch was great with plenty of snacks & drinks for throughout the day. There were plenty of crew on board ready to answer any questions I had (there were many!). The dive was seamless and not once did I feel unsafe. The sharks themselves were breathtaking (goes without saying) and the dive was a unique opportunity to study their behaviour.
Thank you so much Great White Shark Tours for the most unforgettable and special experience! Nothing else will ever measure up! I would recommend this company to EVERYONE! Go for it!

Visited August 2013
Thank you so much for the great review Gemma! Hope to see you back for another dive very soon!

Cheers
Port Charlotte, Florida
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Most wonderful day with Captain Brian and the wonderful staff at Great White Shark Tours”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

If I could give this tour 10 stars, I would! Everything about this experience was wonderful, from the first contact with Chrissie, via email to our actual day on the water. She patiently answered all of my many questions and even suggested the best day for our dive. I was a little reluctant, since i had gone on a dive the year before with another company in the area, and had not had the best experience. However, my day with Captain Brian and Great White Shark Tours, erased all of that and the day was so fantastic that we are planning to make this a part of our tour each year.
Captain Brian's vast experience and love for what he does clearly shows throughout the day. The experience was so authentic that my husband and I returned with a sense of awe and respect for these magnificent creatures.
And as if our perfect day on the water wasn't enough, our driver stopped so we could observe several Southern Right Whales that had recently arrived from Antartica. While we were watching the whales, Captain Brian walked up to join us. Clearly his life's work is also his life's passion and one gets the feeling that sharing it with others is what he loves best.

Visited July 2013
Sharky41, Manager at Great White Shark Tours, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Thank you so much for your lovely review and for taking the time to post one! We appreciate that very much.

We are thrilled that you enjoyed your experience with us and we are very much looking fwd to welcoming you back next year!

GWS Team
Los Angeles
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Can't Say Enough Good Things”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013

High recommendation for the staff and crew of Great White Shark Tours. We had some flexibility on our day to come, and we called the office to ask them our best options. They looked at the weather that was upcoming and we booked based on their suggestion. We ended up with perfect sun and low wind. Brian is an excellent captain and the crew was great with all the (often squealing) passengers. My 12-year-old daughter had wanted to do this and she went down twice and it was one of the highlights of her trip to SA. Thanks Annamarie for helping us sort our ever-changing booking. Two big thumbs up.

Visited June 2013
Sharky41, Manager at Great White Shark Tours, responded to this review, July 14, 2013
We are so glad that you and your daughter enjoyed the experience and we hope you will visit us again soon!

GWS Team