Tripadvisor
Post
Inbox
Search
Open today: 8:00 AM - 6:00 PM

Recommended experiences in and around Gansbaai
from $206.18
More Info
from $176.92
More Info
All reviews shark lady great whites once in a lifetime hot soup shark dive bucket list amazing experience white shark crew organisation briefing
Selected filters
Reviewed January 14, 2020

What a fantastic experience we experienced by booking through shark lady. Even though there was a mix up with transport the problem was very quickly resolved. We had the best time and experience the food was lovely the staff and the crew were exceptional. I would highly recommend booking with shark lady if visiting South Africa.

Date of experience: January 2020
Reviewed January 7, 2020

Though we did not see any great whites (not the season unfortunately) we were lucky enough to get in the water with dozens of 2.5-3.5m copper sharks, also known as bronzies, during our tour with SharkLady Adventures.
From the moment we booked - the customer service was on point. while it was definitely an early morning wake up call, it was well worth it to arrive early and wake up with some light breakfast (amazing homemade biscuits!) and tea/coffee. Our pick up in Cape Town was 4:20AM for a 7AM tour start - at first we were slightly put off by the wake up call however in the end felt this was definitely a fun and adventurous way to start our day! The attention to detail, safety briefing from our guide Jason and the boat crew were all direct, timely and well delivered. Definitely put us at ease knowing there was a 100% safety record as well! The boat ride itself was short/easy and fun! The swells were somewhere between 5-10ft which made the ride over to the site quite entertaining. My group was the first to get in the water and we enjoyed every minute. At one point we must of had over 6 sharks around the cage and Jason was able to get them really close so even though visibility was low, we were able to see them in great detail. Would definitely recommend this tour for first time shark cage divers or adventurous thrill seekers - loved our time in the water (was almost too short even though it was freezing!) Next time I'll keep my fingers crossed for a great white!

1  Thank livisage
Reviewed January 6, 2020

We are from Cape Town and have never done anything like this before. The crew are very clued about what they are doing and very conscious about the safety of their passengers. We saw about 10 copper sharks, some jelly fish and a seal. On arrival there was a light breakfast including bread with two variations of jam, muffins, fruit, coffee, tea and juice. On board there are soft drinks, water, chips and lollipops. For lunch they served soup, salad, bread rolls, muffins and rusks to enjoy with coffee / tea. You also have the option of purchasing the DVD of some shots/videos of the trip out on the sea for R300.

Overall we had a really amazing time. Myself and my husband were a bit sea sick but that didn’t stop us from making the most of the experience.

Date of experience: January 2020
1  Thank Kim G
Reviewed December 7, 2019

It was our first time in South Africa and we have heard about the great whites. I understand that it is a crap shoot, but Great Whites don't appear to be seen here very often. It is misleading to paste Great White photos EVERYWHERE when there is a rare chance to see them.

The "breakfast" was disappointing. Some toast with sprinkle cheese and fruit. They did feed us soup, salad and bread after.

As for the "dive," they really need to use weight belts. With rocky water conditions and 5 mil wetsuits, the experience consisted of trying to stay under water long enough to even see anything. I honestly got to see more out of the water than in it.

I appreciated that there were fewer people on this boat compared to others we saw in the area. We were glad to say we did this once, but I doubt I would repeat the experience.

Reviewed December 4, 2019

This is a great company. Let's be real, they are working in an environment where global warming is imminent you HOPE to see a great white shark but YOU CANNOT CONTROL NATURE! That being said they did an amazing job drawing an entire school of copper sharks to the boats and bringing them close enough that we could see them. I felt safe and looked after the entire time. What's more if you engaged the staff on the boat they were really keen to tell stories about shark watching and give you lots of information about sharks. They clearly LOVE LOVE LOVE the animals that they are caring for and feel a true connection to the sea.

I also got a great deal online and then had to cancel due to car issues. They not only honored my discount but checked up on me to make sure I was doing well during the week.

1  Thank A1189JVemilyt