“Absolutely amazing experience ....”

Sharklady Adventures
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Sharklady Adventures offers small exclusive shark diving trips and educational tours twice daily. This means that the trip is more informative AND you’ll have more time in the cage.Sharklady Adventures is a permit holding shark cage diving company run by Kim 'Sharklady' Maclean. Kim pioneered shark cage diving in South Africa in 1992 and is committed to being a responsible and eco-friendly operation. We do not interfere with the sharks and we do not pollute the environment. Sharklady Adventures complies with the strictest code of conduct and safety for our clients, our boat, and the great white sharks, as laid down by local Marine & Coastal Management.Sharklady Adventures conserve and protect the sharks and all marine life on our coastline. We are dedicated to creating awareness of Great White Sharks through education, especially to the local children who are the future of our country.
Reviewed September 9, 2013

This was simply one of the most amazing experiences of my life. I have been interested in sharks for as long as I can remember, and this was really a dream come true. Due to the fact that we were with a relatively small group (11 people) I did spend about an hour in the cage. We saw lots of shark action. According to Chris Perkins, the resident shark researcher, we saw 8 different individuals, the largest of which was close to 4 meters. Some just swam by quietly, while others wrestled wildly with the bait. One tried to poke his nose into the cage just in front of me! All people involved (bus driver, people in the office, boat crew, guy that filmed the whole trip, ladies that made our food) were highly professional, friendly and fun. A special thanks to Chris for sharing all his shark knowledge with us. Because of him, it was not only a highly exciting and entertaining but also educational experience. I just cannot recommend this enough and am sure I will be back sometime in future ....

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Went in Feb. 2013 and although not the Winter season we still had a lot of sharks come to the boat. In fact, what I was impressed with was there were four (4) other boats on the water, all within a mile of us and Sharklady was getting all the sharks. Really enjoyed the experience of being in the water with this magnificent creatures and I definitely found a new found respect for them. Thanks for the great time!

Reviewed August 22, 2013

The experience at Shark Lady is well worth the money. The staff is experienced (which is very important) they are friendly and helpful. We went out in the morning and had the most amazing experience. We were able to see 9 different sharks. It was nothing I was ever planning to do in my life, having said that I did it and truly loved it. The dive was exciting, and watching from the upper level as other members of my family dove was great. If you ever thought of doing this all I can say is call SharkLady and DO IT!

1  Thank Ginssa
Reviewed August 20, 2013

I guess I should open by explaining that I was shunted onto these guys as my preferred choice changed me after arrival from an overbooking that they made.
In short, fundementally, there are 2 goals to achieve in this type of operation, 1 provide decent customer service and 2 run a shark friendly experience that doesn't negatively impact the sharks. These guys failed at both.
1. We had a very thorough safety briefing including showing us how to wear and tie the lifevests and with heavy emphasis on using them and that they would be handed out as conditions were lumpy. Not that I was particularly concerned about a lifevest as I am a strong swimmer but none were handed out on the boat and it was only at the dive site and at the request of the passengers that 2 were handed to them. Confused!?
2. We were taken to the jetty to get on the boat and the DM wasn't anywhere to be seen after we walked down. So there were 18 of us stood about kicking our heels for 15 or so minutes wondering what why we were waiting, which boat was ours and when we'd finally board. When the tractor linked up to the boat and started reversing the guy appeared and handily told us to get onboard. Basic basic customer service dictates that you are obviously around and available to answer any questions.
3. So the cage has 5 occupants at a time. They had 4 weight belts. This is an operation that does DAILY trips and have 4 weight belts, so what does the other person using? answer, NOTHING. So either, don't give anyone any belts or get a 5th cus 4 people with belts and one with none is a bit obvious that somethings wanting, especially with no explanation. When you are spending 1600 rand on a cage dive trip x 18 you can definitely afford to get a 5th weight belt. Again no communication or apologies to the people who are going in without a belt??
4. Not so much these guys problem I suppose but I was told by the people I originally booked with that I would get 2 dives in the cage and these guys only gave us 1. You would understand it if the conditions got bad and the weather closed in but the conditions were great except for the visibility underwater!
5. Because of the positioning of the guy controlling the bait the only decent views seemed to be at the right hand side of the cage, that meant that the 2 at the opposite end, sadly me and a poor french dude, who can't have had a good view at all in the visibility, didn't really get much of a view and obviously I was hoping that on our 2nd dive I could be up at the other end but as it turned out that that was nonexistant then we had to make do with a midsection and tail view.
6. What I really felt was both sad and wrong was on 2 occasions whilst I was in the cage and 1 time to another group was that the shark swam nose first into the cage. The whole point of the trip I booked for and wanted was a shark friendly one. The health and wellbeing of the shark is of paramount importance. I didn't want to be part of and funding and operation where a shark ends up scaring and stressing itself from bouncing face first off of the cage where its primary senses are. The second occasion the shark hit the cage pretty hard, not only was that a really bad and stressful event for the shark but the guy right next to the cage was pretty scared by it and to be honest in a scenario like that injury to the shark or the guy could result.
7. The whole thing felt quite rushed, like there was a schedule to achieve that I wasn't party to, maybe happy hour, I don't know.
8. Lastly, we launched at about 2pm, maybe just after, we left the site at 4pm. All up for just under 2 hours. Nah, not worth it, certainly not with these guys.

Speaking as a person who works in the diving industry and has done for 9 years, providing a service to the customers and doing it in a fashion that is for the wellbeing of the shark I give these guys a 1 out of 10. The 1 is because the skipper of the boat was a very affable, friendly guy.

If I had known the details of this operation I would not have gone with them but like I said at the top I was shunted over. My advice is to research thoroughly before you book. I saw 2 white sharks from the surface and 1/2 a shark underwater, but I still feel like the experience I am after is yet to be achieved.

1  Thank divedivedive2013
Reviewed August 19, 2013 via mobile

Very safe, lots of sharks, knowledgeable and helpful crew. I highly recommend!

Plus, they gave us lollipops!

1  Thank CloversMom
Kim M, Owner at Sharklady Adventures, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2013

LOL! Glad you enjoyed! The lollipops really do the trick for sea sickness don't they?!