“An unforgettable experiance”

Shark Diving Unlimited
More attraction details
Owner description: Shark Diving Unlimited specialises in conservation and education initiatives of all shark species around our coastline Owned by Michael Rutzen who has been working with great white sharks since 1994. Four years later Mike began freediving with great white sharks and is now known worldwide as one of the few people who is able to interact with these magnificent predators outside the safety of the cage!Breathtaking images of Mike have been featured in numerous magazines and documentaries including BEYOND FEAR (National Geographic) and SHARKMAN (Discovery). Mike’s aim is to portray positive images of great white sharks in order to dispel the ‘JAWS’ myth.Mike is a PADI Instructor and the only person in the world qualified to teach the prestigious Great White Shark Distinctive Specialty PADI course. He is a qualified skipper, First Aid instructor, qualified rebreather, nitrox and commercial diver. Your skipper Frank Rutzen has spent his life on the ocean from Kwa-Zulu Natal to the Western Cape. He has worked in the great white shark cage diving industry since 1995 and has a passion for wildlife and an extensive knowledge of the Dyer Island marine ecosystem.Nsunda is a qualified South African tour guide and qualified scuba diver. He will help you with all your diving equipment needs and make sure that your day runs smoothly!Shark Diving Unlimited was the company of choice for HRH Prince Harry, His Majesty King Abdullah II Ibn Al Hussein, Leonardo Di Caprio and Brad Pitt.
Reviewed August 7, 2013

We joined the obviously competent crew of Shark Diving Unlimited on Barracuda with our lives in their hands. The experience was great and we saw and experienced the sharks up close, the crew are very knowledgeable of the surrounding area and the sea life and could answer all questions. I would recommend this experience to any person that is seeking some adventure.

2  Thank Robert C
in 5 reviews
"beautiful creatures"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed July 30, 2013

Pick up in Cape Town was prompt and our driver excellent. Sunrise along the coast was a stunning bonus as we woke up. Nice breakfast provided. Lara is lovely and very helpful. I'm not sure we did it on the best day given the weather - not that the rough seas mattered but I think the movement of the boat spooked the sharks - so there wasn't too much action. I think it might have been better to have been told to come another day. The safety briefing was cursory and comical given that it was the only time we saw a life jacket, and that was around the neck of a crew member! I wouldn't have had a clue where to find them on the boat. The seals were amazing. It was slightly awkward, given the relative lack of shark action, to be competing with the crew to see them. I think they need to stand back a bit more to allow the paying punters a better view. Be aware that it's not diving - the cage is attached to the side of the boat and you just hold your breath to go under water. Nonetheless, it's impressive when the shark is lured in by the bait. Mike is an interesting chap, very willing to chat if engaged in conversation, and someone you really feel understands the seas. There was an Italian research lady on board who really made an effort to chat and explain what she and others are doing - it was excellent to know this - and she also went the extra mile seeing my wife was quite unwell on the rough trip back. Thanks to her for that. Hearty soup on return was welcome and again our driver went out of his way on the return journey. Finally, we didn't buy the DVD at the time but changed our minds later - Lara was very helpful in making it available to us in the UK. All in all a remarkable experience, not cheap and I'd check out the weather most likely to encourage sharks, but definitely one to put on your wish list.

1  Thank Dogberry1258
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Instructions by the crew were clear and were told in a funny way by Johan (had to write that down because Guido told me so :). We saw lots of great whites at close distance. It almost felt like I could have touched them. So cool! Thanks for all the crew for giving me a day to remember!

2  Thank TonVloekbeesten
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Just do it!!!
Regarding the company, we found the Shark Diving Unlimited very good and professional!
Wonderful breakfast , trip snacks and lunch, comfortable and clean office and showers,very nice boat, kind staff, perfect location.
We had overall a beautiful day trip with 6 or 7 big sharks!!!
Unfortunately we couldn't see the seals because of the tide.
Congratulations to all staff , mainly the dvd guy( I ' ve forgotten his name, but we went out at 06/june) He is very kind and have explained everything about the trip and the sharks.
The only problem was a delay in our trip( 10:00 instead of 06:30) .But they have warned our B&B the day before and the manager Lara was great about dealing with this event.
I will recommend these guys for sure!!!!

1  Thank liskauskas
See more reviews
Reviewed June 13, 2013

The trip began with a nice buffet breakfast in the lodge surrounded by amazing photos of the sharks taken by SDU staff as well as many movie stars, professional athletes, and other noteworthy guests that have been on one of their trips. The safety brief was thorough and concise and made some of the apprehensive guests feel more comfortable. We were on the boat and underway in a short period of time. On the 15 min. ride to Dyer Island we learned all about the sharks and the potential threats they face from humans and extinction. This was important because I got the impression that many of the guests feel they are there for a "game viewing" experience where the animals are contained and protected. Upon arrival the cage was dropped and within 10 min. of the anchor being set and the water chummed we saw our first shark. The cage held 7 people and the wetsuits and equipment were clean and fully functional. we saw about five different sharks with the biggest estimated at 3.8 m (12.5'). The crew allowed each group of 7 seven to have long enough in the cage to have plenty of close encounters. More times than I could count, the sharks were within inches of the cage which made for an incredibly personal viewing experience. The rest of my party did not dive but had a great view of the action from the elevated viewing deck right above the cage. And captured some amazing photos and videos. Once I exited the cage I got a towel handed to me and was able to enjoy some food and a choice of beverages. The crew quickly secured the cage and we were on our way back to the lodge to view the video of our trip and enjoy hot soup and drinks. This was an outstanding trip that left me wanting to go again and again. I can't say enough about the professionalism, courtesy, and efficiency of the captain and crew. I highly recommend Shark Diving Unlimited when considering this once in a lifetime experience.

2  Thank Sean F