“Great day with lots of sharks”

Shark Diving Unlimited
More attraction details
Owner description: Shark Diving Unlimited specialises in conservation and education initiatives of all shark species around our coastline Owned by Michael Rutzen who has been working with great white sharks since 1994. Four years later Mike began freediving with great white sharks and is now known worldwide as one of the few people who is able to interact with these magnificent predators outside the safety of the cage!Breathtaking images of Mike have been featured in numerous magazines and documentaries including BEYOND FEAR (National Geographic) and SHARKMAN (Discovery). Mike’s aim is to portray positive images of great white sharks in order to dispel the ‘JAWS’ myth.Mike is a PADI Instructor and the only person in the world qualified to teach the prestigious Great White Shark Distinctive Specialty PADI course. He is a qualified skipper, First Aid instructor, qualified rebreather, nitrox and commercial diver. Your skipper Frank Rutzen has spent his life on the ocean from Kwa-Zulu Natal to the Western Cape. He has worked in the great white shark cage diving industry since 1995 and has a passion for wildlife and an extensive knowledge of the Dyer Island marine ecosystem.Nsunda is a qualified South African tour guide and qualified scuba diver. He will help you with all your diving equipment needs and make sure that your day runs smoothly!Shark Diving Unlimited was the company of choice for HRH Prince Harry, His Majesty King Abdullah II Ibn Al Hussein, Leonardo Di Caprio and Brad Pitt.
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great day with lots of sharks”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

Instructions by the crew were clear and were told in a funny way by Johan (had to write that down because Guido told me so :). We saw lots of great whites at close distance. It almost felt like I could have touched them. So cool! Thanks for all the crew for giving me a day to remember!

Visited July 2013

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 176 helpful votes
“Unforgettable experience!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2013

Just do it!!!
Regarding the company, we found the Shark Diving Unlimited very good and professional!
Wonderful breakfast , trip snacks and lunch, comfortable and clean office and showers,very nice boat, kind staff, perfect location.
We had overall a beautiful day trip with 6 or 7 big sharks!!!
Unfortunately we couldn't see the seals because of the tide.
Congratulations to all staff , mainly the dvd guy( I ' ve forgotten his name, but we went out at 06/june) He is very kind and have explained everything about the trip and the sharks.
The only problem was a delay in our trip( 10:00 instead of 06:30) .But they have warned our B&B the day before and the manager Lara was great about dealing with this event.
I will recommend these guys for sure!!!!

Visited June 2013
1 Thank liskauskas
Marin, CA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Shark Diving at it's best!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2013

The trip began with a nice buffet breakfast in the lodge surrounded by amazing photos of the sharks taken by SDU staff as well as many movie stars, professional athletes, and other noteworthy guests that have been on one of their trips. The safety brief was thorough and concise and made some of the apprehensive guests feel more comfortable. We were on the boat and underway in a short period of time. On the 15 min. ride to Dyer Island we learned all about the sharks and the potential threats they face from humans and extinction. This was important because I got the impression that many of the guests feel they are there for a "game viewing" experience where the animals are contained and protected. Upon arrival the cage was dropped and within 10 min. of the anchor being set and the water chummed we saw our first shark. The cage held 7 people and the wetsuits and equipment were clean and fully functional. we saw about five different sharks with the biggest estimated at 3.8 m (12.5'). The crew allowed each group of 7 seven to have long enough in the cage to have plenty of close encounters. More times than I could count, the sharks were within inches of the cage which made for an incredibly personal viewing experience. The rest of my party did not dive but had a great view of the action from the elevated viewing deck right above the cage. And captured some amazing photos and videos. Once I exited the cage I got a towel handed to me and was able to enjoy some food and a choice of beverages. The crew quickly secured the cage and we were on our way back to the lodge to view the video of our trip and enjoy hot soup and drinks. This was an outstanding trip that left me wanting to go again and again. I can't say enough about the professionalism, courtesy, and efficiency of the captain and crew. I highly recommend Shark Diving Unlimited when considering this once in a lifetime experience.

Visited June 2013
2 Thank Sean F
Cape Town Central, South Africa
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“A truly UNFORGETTABLE experience!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

I seriously didn't know what to expect when I signed up for shark cage diving. All I can say is what an incredible day!

The staff were extremely helpful, and ensured everyone got an opportunity to get up close and personal with these magnificant creatures. It is really something else to see them in their natural habitat, and above all else I have gained invaluable insight and knowledge on these highly intelligent beings that get such a bad rep.

Thanks SDU for giving me this opportunity of a life time!!

Visited May 2013
2 Thank Sandy T
Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“What an experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

Thank you so much for such an incredible experience!
Really appreciated the one on one chat with Mike..

As a surfer you helped me understand allot about these beautiful creatures and the fight to keep their existance on this planet of ours. You guys are doing such a good thing here!

Thanks again