“A truly UNFORGETTABLE experience!!”

Shark Diving Unlimited
More attraction details
Owner description: Shark Diving Unlimited specialises in conservation and education initiatives of all shark species around our coastline Owned by Michael Rutzen who has been working with great white sharks since 1994. Four years later Mike began freediving with great white sharks and is now known worldwide as one of the few people who is able to interact with these magnificent predators outside the safety of the cage!Breathtaking images of Mike have been featured in numerous magazines and documentaries including BEYOND FEAR (National Geographic) and SHARKMAN (Discovery). Mike’s aim is to portray positive images of great white sharks in order to dispel the ‘JAWS’ myth.Mike is a PADI Instructor and the only person in the world qualified to teach the prestigious Great White Shark Distinctive Specialty PADI course. He is a qualified skipper, First Aid instructor, qualified rebreather, nitrox and commercial diver. Your skipper Frank Rutzen has spent his life on the ocean from Kwa-Zulu Natal to the Western Cape. He has worked in the great white shark cage diving industry since 1995 and has a passion for wildlife and an extensive knowledge of the Dyer Island marine ecosystem.Nsunda is a qualified South African tour guide and qualified scuba diver. He will help you with all your diving equipment needs and make sure that your day runs smoothly!Shark Diving Unlimited was the company of choice for HRH Prince Harry, His Majesty King Abdullah II Ibn Al Hussein, Leonardo Di Caprio and Brad Pitt.
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I seriously didn't know what to expect when I signed up for shark cage diving. All I can say is what an incredible day!

The staff were extremely helpful, and ensured everyone got an opportunity to get up close and personal with these magnificant creatures. It is really something else to see them in their natural habitat, and above all else I have gained invaluable insight and knowledge on these highly intelligent beings that get such a bad rep.

Thanks SDU for giving me this opportunity of a life time!!

2  Thank Sandy T
in 5 reviews
"beautiful creatures"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed May 27, 2013

Thank you so much for such an incredible experience!
Really appreciated the one on one chat with Mike..

As a surfer you helped me understand allot about these beautiful creatures and the fight to keep their existance on this planet of ours. You guys are doing such a good thing here!

Thanks again

3  Thank Antonio R
Reviewed May 26, 2013

I had the most incredible experience with the Shark Diving Unlimited crew. I have tremendous admiration for Mike and the amazing work he has done with these animals so there is no other shark cage diving company I would have felt as comfortable going with. I have to confess I watched Jaws when I was little and, like many people, I've had a slight shark phobia ever since. I'm so happy that I plucked up the courage to go cage diving, because it did exactly what I hoped it would - it eliminated any misconceptions I had about the beautiful apex predators and allowed me to see them for the stunning animals that they are. Mike has shown, time and again, that sharks don't recognise humans as prey, and my cage diving experience further entrenched this. None of the sharks we saw were interested in us, they were only interested in the fish. It was wonderful to witness them hunting in their natural environment, right next to the cage. The Shark Diving Unlimited team were helpful, professional and informative - thank you for such a spectacular day! Once we got off the boat we were treated to delicious, hot veggie soup with warm bread straight out of the oven - heaven. Thank you to Shark Diving Unlimited for an unforgettable experience and for transforming the way I see sharks. If you want to go cage diving, this is the company to go with!

3  Thank Sam C
Reviewed May 25, 2013

I had the most amazing time experiencing great white sharks up close. The Shark Diving Team were really great and helped me understand their cause as well as give me insight in shark land. I recommend Shark Diving Unlimited to anyone

1  Thank gusvdw
See more reviews
Reviewed May 14, 2013

As a Capetonian I really didn't know what to expect when deciding to go Shark Cage Diving with one of the local companies here. My skepticism soon dissipated however as it was proved unfounded by the Shark Diving Unlimited team.

To begin with I was pleasantly surprised by the absolute professionalism of the crew that took us out. Every step of the way there was no doubt in my mind that they had the experience and foresight to ensure our safety and show us what we had come there to see: GREAT WHITE SHARKS!

On the morning we managed to be one of the first boats out on the water and in no time had SEVEN of these magnificent creatures around the boat presenting themselves for what turned out to be some incredible photographs. The one thing that struck me is how Great White Sharks actually seem to be completely calm and don't give off that "terrifying" presence that one would expect. I definitely have a new found respect for these creatures after seeing them in their natural habitat.

Thank you Shark Diving Unlimited for the truly unforgettable experience!

1  Thank tom s