Book In Advance
Tours from White Shark Projects tend to sell out - travelers recommend booking in advance!
Why Book on TripAdvisor?
  • Tour highlights & full itinerary
  • Easy online booking
  • Lowest price guaranteed
More Information

All reviews great whites great experience white shark cape town bucket list once in a lifetime wet suits whole experience shark sightings marine biologist soup felt safe south africa cage team water boat
Reviewed 5 days ago

Excellent trip with the WSP team. Well organised and run trip, they provide all the gear you need including towels and get you prepared for the cage. Everyone gets a decent amount of viewing time on a rotation basis and because you don't use scuba gear or air tubes anyone can participate easily.

After a slow few weeks in October we were lucky to find sharks within about 5 mins of leaving the harbour, before we'd even got through the safety briefing in fact! They were mainly bronze whaler sharks, impressive all the same and then we were extremely lucky to see a great white shark - it only made a few passes but it's what I'd come to see!

Highly recommend this company - they were first out of the harbour amongst all the other shark boats to try and give us the best chance of success.

Reviewed 1 week ago

Best shark operation at Klein baii, attentive professional staff , look after you in everyway , excellent food drink before you go out

Reviewed October 8, 2018 via mobile

Started off great, beautiful day, but no Sharks. Staff seemed very unenthusiastic on the boat. Almost as if, they knew we would not be seeing great whites. No mention to us or apologies about not seeing Sharks, we left the area early too to com back to shore. boat was crowded with at least 7 volunteers.
Said there would be snacks and food on board, but they must have forgot to bring.
Really weird situation. Have done Shark diving with great whites 5 times before this.

Charmaine B, Public Relations Manager at White Shark Projects, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2018

Hi Jami,
We are as sorry as you are that you have not seen a great white shark....it has indeed been a weird situation the last two years, a sad sign of what is happening to our planet. We are humbled daily by the environment we work in, and sadly can never offer a guarantee, there is no fences in the oceans. We have had some sightings lately, so do hope you can use the free voucher we gave you.
As for the volunteers, they are paying clients as well, they come and spend an extended period with us, learning more about shark behaviour and helping out with our educational programmes. As for the snacks - please let me know what date you were on so I can check what happened .
Looking forward having you back one day - and may we see sharks!

Reviewed October 7, 2018

These guys know what they are doing. We had a great time, and we did see wildlife. The crew was very good about setting expectations and what to do during the day. It looks like the morning groups are probably the best to go on, but we did the afternoon tour and really enjoyed it. The pre and post trip food was good. Everyone in our group got to be in the cage when the shark came. It is not too often that you can go shark cage diving off the coast of Africa... well worth it.

That is just the best news to hear! Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

Reviewed October 7, 2018 via mobile

My husband and I had a great time!! We saw a great white and 2 bronze whalers that kept coming around. Plus we got to see some southern right whales off in the distance. The White Shark Project was great. The crew was professional and knowledgeable. There was even a marine biologist on the boat to answer any questions. This is a must do!!

Charmaine B, Public Relations Manager at White Shark Projects, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2018

We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your trip! Our aim is to educate people and give them as much information on our beloved sharks as possible.

Reviewed September 20, 2018

This is a great organization! We had an awesome driver who picked us up in Cape Town. He made the drive extra special by stopping to see whales, baboons, and beautiful views. When we arrived, they gave us breakfast and time to change. The crew on the boat were great! They explained everything well, and made sure we dove under when they saw a shark. Upon return, we were given hot soup and were able to change back into dry clothes for the drive back. Sadly, the Great Whites were not around, but we did see a Bronze Whaler which was really cool. I'd highly recommend it! But bring Dramamine, as the waves are very big and you feel it as soon as the boat stops to anchor.

2  Thank Passenger601419

Hi Passenger601419
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and for the compliment to our driver, I will make sure to pass it on to him.

Reviewed September 16, 2018 via mobile

We spend some time to check different companies to do the shark cage diving with. And I’m very happy we chose this company, White Shark Projects. Everything was organized so well. From the beginning when we ‘checked in’ until we came back from the trip, there was soup and we could take a shower.

Since I did some research we know the possibility we could see a white shark is 50 precent. The staff was also very clear and transparent about it. Shark activity is very low. That’s the risk you take by planning this. So we didn’t saw the white shark, but we did see the Bronze whaler shark in action. Which was amazing! Besides that some seals and a whale. The staff did everything in their power to make the trip great for us.

I really liked the kids recycle project! Good job!

Would definitely recommend this company. When we come back to SA we will book the trip again.

Reviewed August 18, 2018 via mobile

I arrived to the White Shark project office which is very cosy and clean and we were served an homemade lunch. The team was very friendly and welcoming and encouraged us to enjoy their food. They also explained that everything was in jars to avoid as much plastic as possible. In addition to the sharks, they explained that they take care of children arround and instruct locals about recycling and plastic issue: very good feeling about this small company !!
Then the dive was really secured and managed by a very friendly team , even the skipper was helping everyone he could !
We stopped at sea and waited an hour - there were fruits, sandwiches, cool drinks, water, towels available to us. The wetsuits were clean and dry and when the sharks arrived, they made sure to tease it to the boat but not feed it, very professional.

Loved everything about this small company!! Thanks a mill Grant, Johan, the team on the boat and Katie for making this day exceptional

2  Thank loupiootte
Wsprojects, Public Relations Manager at White Shark Projects, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2018

Greetings from Shark Team!

Thank you for your lovely review, we sincerely appreciate it.
I am delighted that you enjoyed this exciting day with us.
May the memories of your adventure with the sharks remain forever vivid and clear.

Reviewed August 6, 2018 via mobile

My husband and I went had an unbelievable experience with the White Shark Project! You are on the boat quite early in the morning so we had to leave our hotel around 0415 or so. It was totally worth it getting up so early! You have a light breakfast and get a brief crew introduction before heading out for the cage dive. The area to view the sharks is quite close, only about 15 minutes away on the boat. They try to do make sure all patrons get to experience time in the water when a shark is near. We were in the water for a very long time (it was COLD despite the wetsuit) before we had a shark pass. But when she finally came by it was AMAZING! I personally had a difficult time trying to hold myself down in the cage (the crew yells “down” when an animal is near and you hold your breath to view it, no oxygen tanks). I also really enjoyed viewing the animals from the decks. At the end, they ask if anyone would like to get into the cage a second time. I regret not being more aggressive and saying yes but I was freezing. We saw 3 great whites! And a giant ray. I’m sure not everyone gets to see sharks, let alone great whites, so I feel we really had a great experience. The crew is very knowledgeable and do their best to educate guests regarding the sharks and other marine life. They are open to questions and work to myth bust. You’re on the water for about 3 hours or so before heading back in. The ship is pretty tight and not much space for you to bring extra things so take a minimum. There’s a tiny bathroom. After you return to shore there’s a light lunch and they have a video you can purchase they they make from the morning footage. If you get sea sick... plan ahead because you certainly will. We had relatively calm water and I grew up on lakes and this was the first time I felt like I was going to be sick.

My only “dislike” was the food. It’s included in th price like you’re getting breakfast and lunch but it’s very light and I personally didn’t enjoy the options.

I’d love to go again during the season when he sharks are more likely to breach. My husband only agreed to cage diving because I really wanted to and he LOVED it. We would highly recommend White Shark Projects!

3  Thank JordanO572
Wsprojects, Public Relations Manager at White Shark Projects, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2018

Good day
Thank you very much for your visit and we are very happy that you enjoyed your time with us. As for the food, we try and do a light breakfast for the people that do get a bit sea sick. We are very happy that you had the opportunity to see Great Whites in action and we look forward to another visit from you in the further.
Kind regards
White Shark Projects

Reviewed June 2, 2018

Good people. Instructors were very good. Lucky enough to have the opportunity to see the Great Whites! Definitely recommend them!

Wsprojects, Public Relations Manager at White Shark Projects, responded to this reviewResponded June 8, 2018

Thank you so much for your kind words, Srini. We really appreciate you taking the time out to share your experience with us.
Kind regards