“Day Tripping...”

and up
Half-Day White Shark Cage Diving from Gansbaai
Ranked #3 of 21 Tours in Gansbaai
More attraction details
Owner description: White Shark Projects welcomes local and international tourists, divers and non-divers … anyone who wishes to encounter, dive with, or view white sharks in a safe and professional environment. White Shark Projects was established in 1989 and is a world-leading organisation that focuses on the conservation of great white sharks through responsible tourism and research. Expect excellent customer service, good value and operational efficiency.
“Day Tripping...”
Reviewed August 1, 2014

So off we finally toddled from Cape Town to Gansbaai for an afternoon of shark cage diving ... I'll have to write up a full blurb some time but suffice it to say that it was a magnificent experience.
It was chilly and there was a bite (as it were) in the water but it was far less cold than expected. I expected a 6 person cage to be a little roomier so that we weren't bashing each other but it wasn't unpleasant ... Consideration for people with proximity issues could be taken into account particularly for the cost. But over all it was an experience and one I would definitely like to do again.
Bear in mind this is a breath hold technique. There are no lines as they feel the bubbles and disturbance of the water actually affect the sightings by driving the sharks off.
Sea sick? Take something. The boat really rolls and apparently even those usually unaffected were relatively greet about the gills. Pleased to say I did not feel the urge to heave. The volunteers on board were fairly chipper though one or two could be a little more approachable. Our 'guide' was great and our 'soon to be a director' video man was good fun :)
Please note while I said family 'teens' ... if you have young children who are good in the water and who won't slip through the cage bars, it's not out of the question.

Review collected in partnership with this attraction

Juanitawsp, Guest Relations Manager at White Shark Projects, responded to this review, August 27, 2014
Dear Shark lover. Thank you for your great review and we appreciate your comments and advise for future clients. It is great to read that it was a magnificent experience for you and we would love to have you aboard Shark Team again. The entire team at White Shark Projects wants to ensure that all who travel from near to afar leaves with a greater understanding and respect for these mysterious animals. Take care Juanita

Ballina, Australia
“White shark cage dive”
Reviewed July 31, 2014

We had bad weather leading up to the dive so were unsure if it would go ahead. The office was hard to contact, so this added to our uncertainty. We were picked up on time on the morning, the driver Danny was excellent. The dive itself was a letdown for me, there were too many people in the cage at once. I was expecting an airline or at least a snorkel, but they would yell "shark" and you had to duck and hold your breath underwater which quite a few people struggled with. The crew were very attentive and looked after those who were seasick, there was quite a few as the swell was high. I've been with Rodney Fox in South Australia and my advice is to go there instead. Was still not a bad day though.

Review collected in partnership with this attraction

Juanitawsp, Guest Relations Manager at White Shark Projects, responded to this review, August 17, 2014
Hi Lee
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We appreciate your comments and thoughts and will address the mentioned issues. I am very pleased to read that our team took great care of everyone. Working with nature is very unpredictable and we are very disappointed that the trip did not meet your expectations. You are welcome to send me an email (office@whitesharkprojects.co.za) if you would like to share more views on how you think we could improve the tour. Take care Juanita
Saint Helena Island, South Carolina
“Awesome Experience- Cage diving with great whites”
Reviewed July 28, 2014

This was an amazing experience....i would encourage anyone to try it.....apart from the actual cage dive u also get to see seals and if your lucky some whales!!

Review collected in partnership with this attraction

Juanitawsp, Guest Relations Manager at White Shark Projects, responded to this review, July 31, 2014
Hi Ross - Straight and to the point, we love it! Thank you for this great review. We are very happy that you had such an amazing experience. Your pictures are great, thank you for sharing them with us. Take care
Essex, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
“Incredible!!”
Reviewed July 27, 2014

We were booked in for our shark cage dive on Monday which was the first day of our trip in South Africa, (we wanted to get it done first so we could stop fretting about it and relax on the rest of the trip!). It's something my partner and I have both always dreamed of doing but had never thought that we would be able to do. My biggest fear has always been of sharks (thanks to jaws) and I cannot tell you how apprehensive we were about the trip! Due to bad weather the trip was cancelled on the Monday and moved to the Tuesday which was no problem for us.

We self drove from Somerset west which took about 1hr 50 mins and the place was easy to find. We had some breakfast before we left with the crew and other passengers and off we went! It was needless to say what felt like a long boat ride to me where I sat there wondering why I had ever thought that this was a good idea, (really it was about 15 mins).

We arrived at Dyer island which is the home of thousands of seals. The guides started chumming and we waited for the sharks to arrive. After 10 minutes we hadn't seen any sharks but a few inquisitive seals came towards the boat to have a look. The guide said "ah there are no sharks around yet, look how chilled out those seals are", just in time for a shark to hit. We saw it attack the seals, catch, kill and eat one poor unlucky one. It was amazing and as bad as I felt for the seal I knew we were seeing something amazing. And we caught it on film.

Very soon after the first shark came to the boat. Weirdly as soon as I saw it my fear evaporated and was replaced by adrenaline and I couldn't get into the cage quick enough. It was amazing. We saw 8 different sharks in total and there was constantly at least one or two around the cage over the space of 2.5 hours (maybe a little longer).

Everyone got to go in the cage for about half an hour each and we were even given a second opportunity to do it again if we wanted to. To be honest though they came so close to the boat and the surface it was an experience seeing them from there too so really the whole thing was amazing. In the cage, the sharks came so close you could have reached out and touched them, and some were huge! One smaller shark stuck its head in the cage for a brief second right where my partner and I were which was an amazing moment. Having the opportunity to come that close to an amazing predator like that was really a once in a life time opportunity and one I will treasure forever.

Crew were great and we bought the DVD which was well worth it, (it caught the part where one stuck its head into the cage). Great experience, cannot recommend it enough.

Visited June 2014
Dear Jennifer
We thank you for a lovely review. We are thrilled that you had such an amazing experience and that your fear and anxiety disappeared when you first laid eyes on these magnificent animals. What an amazing sighting it must have been, when you saw the shark hunt in its natural environment – you were very lucky to have been at the right place and time to have experienced that moment.
Valdosta, Georgia
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Lots of Sharks”
Reviewed July 25, 2014

Went here in early July, 2014. The crew of the boat were very professional and only about a 20 minute ride out to the sharks. They supplied everything you need and the great whites were there as soon as we were. Always felt safe. Tons of fun. Six people to the cage (not too crowded) and we were in it for about 30 minutes.Breakfast and lunch supplied by the company back in Gansbaai. If you don't want to go into the cage you get excellent views of the shark from sitting on the top deck of the boat.You must do this if you are in this part of S. Africa.

Visited July 2014
Dear Robert, thank you for taking the time to write this review. Our aim is to educate clients about the sharks in a safe controlled environment. We are so happy that you had a fun filled day. Take care