“Amazing Experience”

and up
Half-Day White Shark Cage Diving from Gansbaai
Ranked #3 of 22 Tours in Gansbaai
More attraction details
Owner description: White Shark Projects welcomes local and international tourists, divers and non-divers … anyone who wishes to encounter, dive with, or view white sharks in a safe and professional environment. White Shark Projects was established in 1989 and is a world-leading organisation that focuses on the conservation of great white sharks through responsible tourism and research. Expect excellent customer service, good value and operational efficiency.
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“Amazing Experience”
Reviewed October 4, 2013

Great White Cage Diving with White Shark Projects was an amazing experience and one I will never forget! The staff at the centre and on the boat were extremely helpful and knowledgeable and I feel they went out of their way to ensure everyone on the boat had the fullest experience possible and had a really good shark encounter. I would highly recommend this company if you are planning on going cage diving in South Africa.
The service from start to finish was excellent with breakfast and coffee for our early morning arrival, dry wet suits (much appreciated!) and towels on the boat and hot soup on our return to the centre. The team are obviously dedicated to raising awareness about the conservation of sharks, this is not just a company that want to make money, they are genuinely passionate about Great Whites.

Review collected in partnership with this attraction

julia b, Manager at White Shark Projects, responded to this review, October 6, 2013
You summed it up perfectly :) Glad you had such an amazing experience and we really appreciate you taking the time to share your views on your experience - Thanks :)

San Ramon, California, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Jumping in with Jaws”
Reviewed October 3, 2013

Great White Shark spotting was near the top of my to do list for Cape Town as my travel partner had been tracking them online for months leading up to our trip, and we finally took the plunge (in a cage of course) with White Shark Project.

The day was extremely well organized, from our early morning pickup at our hotel in Cape Town they whisked us up the coast to Gansbaai where they had a delicious breakfast and briefed us on what to expect. Once we were all fed and outfitted with jackets and floatation vests we headed out to sea. Everyone was very friendly, and provided us with tons of information about the sharks. Just a few minutes after reaching our location off shore we spotted our first shark. Though the visibility in the water was not great while we were there, it was amazing to see them appear out of the water, first as a dark shadow and then coming into view.

It was definitely not the adrenaline activity I'd expected, the sharks are graceful curious creatures, but in no way did I ever feel like I was in any amount of danger (except maybe the bumpy boat ride back to shore!) I'd recommend this for anyone who is interested in learning more about these beautiful animals, or seeing them up close. We were lucky enough to see 6 different sharks on our trip and some grabbed the bait line and we got to see those teeth in action!

Tips: For us viewing was actually better from on deck than in the cage, though I still think anyone should get in there just for the experience.

Don't make other plans for the day, its an early start and a long drive. We were pooped by the time we got back to our hotel in the afternoon!

Visited September 2013
Thanks for taking the time to write such a comprehensive response. We are grateful for your views and are happy you got to experience the true great white shark - a majestic, graceful and beautiful animal :)
Perugia, Italy
“EXCITING EXPERIENCE!”
Reviewed September 29, 2013

It's unforgattable and it's an experience I suggest to everyone who loves water, animals and strong experiences. Do not miss it or you will probably repent of it!

Visited August 2013
Review collected in partnership with this attraction

julia b, Manager at White Shark Projects, responded to this review, October 5, 2013
We are happy you had such a wonderful experience, it really is a once in a lifetime opportunity. Thanks for taking the time to share your views :)
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“A must to any visitors to South Africa”
Reviewed September 16, 2013

What an experience! My 12 years old son always had a fascination with sharks, reading books from a young age and watching any movies on sharks from National Geographic to Jaws! The trip did not disappoint any of us. We saw White Sharks the minute we arrived at the spot where the cage was. It was truly amazing to see these beautiful animals in their natural habitat, they are so powerful. The crew was great and really helpful. I would recommend it to anyone visiting the beautiful shores of the Overberg.
Thank you so much White Shark Projects

Visited August 2013
Review collected in partnership with this attraction

julia b, Manager at White Shark Projects, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
I am glad you had such an amazing experience! Sharks from the minute you got there- that was very lucky :) Thank you so much for taking the time to tell us about your trip, we really appreciate it :)
Plymouth, England, United Kingdom
“AMAZING AMAZING AMAZING”
Reviewed September 15, 2013

I have just arrived back from volunteering with this project for 2 weeks. I cannot express how amazing this experience was. We helped chum, helped with the clients on the boats, also helped complete basic data and even pull the anchor. The volunteer coordinator made sure we were 100% all the time and when there were no sea days, she would make sure we had something to do, e.g. flying with African Wings to Whale watch (another amazing thing to do). The crew and all the staff with The White Shark Project are so extremely welcoming that you just don't want to ever return home!
Definitely recommended, and because I loved it so much I am hopefully returning next year.

Visited September 2013
julia b, Manager at White Shark Projects, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
We really appreciate you taking the time to give us your feedback on your stay with us. We are so happy you had such an amazing time :) We look forward to taking you out to see some more sharks next year :)