The Roundhouse Guesthouse
$100
$120
Baleens(Hermanus)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsround househot tubthe ownerabalonetop deckshark cage divingwhale watchingrooftop jacuzzicape townan amazing place to stayde keldersour room was spaciousself catering cottagestay there againnice staygreat whitesbed and breakfast
Reviewed August 26, 2010

Arrived here after diving in Aliwal shoal and doing the big 5. We were welcomed by Dave (and Stavros) and we immediately felt at home. We were here like everyone else to see the great whites. It is a fantastic guest house and really well placed for getting to the boats. The area is lovely and has the village feel you would expect. The pub (and local people) were great and right nearby for a post shark beer (2 rand coins for the pool tables!), the whale watching around the corner in the bay is special as it was calfing season with mums teaching their young to swim. A special thank-you must go to Martha who manages the guest house. She is fantastic! After a whole day out on the boats and falling in a bucket of chum I arrived back at the guest house and Martha sorted everything. My clothes were washed and de-chummed by the evening! On our last night at the guest house we sat in the jacuzzi with a bottle of wine watching the sunset and looking out at the southern right whales out at sea, Martha then arrived with takeaway pizza she had collected for us! A fantastic, luxurious place to stay where you really feel welcome.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 11, 2010

The Roundhouse was an amazing place to stay. We stayed there for a week and wished we could have stayed longer! Dave and Elna (The owners) and Magda (The Manager) made sure that all of our needs were met! The room was fantasic and we really made our room home for the week. We had our own living room with TV, Stereo and satellite TV, corner bath, shower and huge bed which was a dream to sleep on! The room was so brilliantly designed that we could also turn the TV through an opening in the wall so that we could lie in bed and watch TV from the bedroom! The breakfasts were amazing and hospitality first class! On the 3rd floor was a central room for everyone to meet which had Free Wifi, a fireplace, huge screen and even a computer with free internet! The views were amazing from the outside deck especially at sunset and the Jacuzzi was the icing on the cake! We will never forget finishing off a bottle of champagne in the Jacuzzi on the 3rd evening overlooking the bay! All I can say is AMAZING, AMAZING, AMAZING!! Well done guys and keep it up!

• Stayed: July 2010
Reviewed August 11, 2010

After being 2.5 years in Kabul, Afghanistan, I was wound up tighter than a cheap watch. My stay in Ganbaai from 21 July to 5 August 2010 proved to be the perfect tonic. The owners, Dave & Elna, were extremely hospitable, kind, and patient. They went way above and beyond what was expected of hosts. They acted more like good friends. From vehicle repair to emergency dental care, they were the best.
Their manager, Mahgda (please forgive my spelling), always greeted me with a smile and a kind word. The breakfasts were always served hot and were homecooked. No "institutional" type dining.
The room was always spotless when I came back in from a day on the boat. The laundry service was fast (same day) and the clothes were always returned dry and folded neatly.
Additional transportation, directions, advice, etc was always easy to obtain.
Stavros was the most hospitable greeter ever... everyday!
EVERYONE was very gracious!
This is THE perfect getaway for anyone. I only regret I could not stay longer.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed July 28, 2010

I stayed at The Roundhouse in Gansbaai (well actually de Kelders) for a few nights over December last year. I went with my sister, her husband and their 2 small kids. They stayed in the Pinnepedia suite and I in the Astacus Suite. The Pinnepedia suite has a full bedroom with on suite but it also had a leather sleeper couch and a single bed in the lounge for the kids. Even with one of the kids on the single bed and the little one in the cot that was provided (free I might add) the lounge still had plenty space to spare. There was even plastic cups and plates for the little ones. I don’t usually like traveling with my sister and her kids and that’s the reason for me writing this review. The Roundhouse was not a guesthouse that is geared towards kids yet if you really want to spend the night there (maybe to experience the uniqueness of a round house or the Jacuzzi) then your entire family will certainly be comfortable here. The kids loved walking down to be swimming beach which was only 5 minutes away. The owners pointed out some other kids stuff to do in the area and I must admit that this break away with the kids turned out a holiday for all of us, not just the kids. There's a place called Madre's Kitchen which Elna at The Roundhouse recommended us to for lunch. Thank you! It was amazing! The food was good and the jungle gym kept the kids entertained for hours. Have a look at my review for Madre's Kitchen in Stanford, under 15 minutes away from Gansbaai. The food at the Roundhouse was also good. On our last morning I paged through the visitors book at the guesthouse and it seems that the food is something that gets praised very often. Especially when Magda makes her famous Bobotie. We had an awesome time. I look forward to staying at The Roundhouse again. The friendliness and the good service will make me come back again and again. PS: The suites are also very cheap compared to other 4 star guesthouses in the area. Another PS: I also went shark diving and I will post a review on that soon.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed July 21, 2010

I recently stayed at The Roundhouse in Gansbaai. I didn’t expect much as I am so used to the big guesthouses in Hermanus that offer stunning views over Walker Bay. But hey, it was my mate’s wedding so I had to go. To make a long story short, I ended up staying for 3 nights when it was only supposed to be one. My girlfriend fell totally in love with the place. And their dog, Stavros. I was fine as I also enjoyed the room and since I could watch tv from the bedroom or the lounge, I was happy. On our last day there some whales started coming into the Bay and I was “teased” by the locals that Hermanus is not the only place with whales. The food was also good. The 1st morning we had pancakes, the 2nd morning we missed (due to the hangover after the wedding) but the 3rd morning we had a nice old fry up! Everyone was friendly, the place was clean, the room had more amenities then I could count, and we had total privacy. Watching the whales from the top floor Jacuzzi on our last day was the highlight of the trip though. We will definitely be back. It’s just a stone throw from Hermanus where I live so to spoil myself I know where to go!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with friends